Page 2244 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 1244174421442194223422422243224422452246225422942344 ... LastLast
Results 33,646 to 33,660 of 39409

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    OK you blokes, I can see that ESE is getting lots of posts on things that are not exactly related to buckets, which it was then in 2008 when it was started by TeeZee. Since then it has matured / morphed into probably one of the most informative and instructive current threads in the world (that I am aware of anyway) on getting high specific power from 2 strokes.

In no small way this is due to the contribution of many: Wobbly, Neels, Frits, TeeZee, Husa, Jan, Fletto etc etc.

So, back to the latest round of contributions. Should they stay, despite some of the higher specific power aims (eg turbo) that fit in with the goals of ESE. Maybe the goals of ESE should be strictly crankcase scavenged, but remember we did have the fling with Ryger that fitted in with the general ESE philosophy.

So, just don’t know. Thoughts?

Anyways, all the above is just skirting around the fact that someone over here has been working on a fairly novel method of a crank scavenged 2 stroke operating principle. Nothing in terms of high power, more of a mundane application, with a goal of lower fuel consumption and unburnt HCs. As with everything though, it might have some high power potential, given certain add-ons. Could be a total flop as well. As it has a bit of history and potentially a fair few words and pics to go with it and it could go on and on, the question is where to put it? Just don't want to give anyone the shits.

I think I’ll be guided by your thoughts on the above round of questions. Or would you like a bit of a teaser ??
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    OK you blokes, I can see that ESE is getting lots of posts on things that are not exactly related to buckets, which it was then in 2008 when it was started by TeeZee. Since then it has matured / morphed into probably one of the most informative and instructive current threads in the world (that I am aware of anyway) on getting high specific power from 2 strokes.

In no small way this is due to the contribution of many: Wobbly, Neels, Frits, TeeZee, Husa, Jan, Fletto etc etc.

So, back to the latest round of contributions. Should they stay, despite some of the higher specific power aims (eg turbo) that fit in with the goals of ESE. Maybe the goals of ESE should be strictly crankcase scavenged, but remember we did have the fling with Ryger that fitted in with the general ESE philosophy.

So, just don’t know. Thoughts?

Anyways, all the above is just skirting around the fact that someone over here has been working on a fairly novel method of a crank scavenged 2 stroke operating principle. Nothing in terms of high power, more of a mundane application, with a goal of lower fuel consumption and unburnt HCs. As with everything though, it might have some high power potential, given certain add-ons. Could be a total flop as well. As it has a bit of history and potentially a fair few words and pics to go with it and it could go on and on, the question is where to put it? Just don't want to give anyone the shits.

I think I’ll be guided by your thoughts on the above round of questions. Or would you like a bit of a teaser ??
    Yes, I would have preferred that it all went to the "Oddball" thread of course and to be fair to the Bucket guys it's cluttering up their thread but seeing that both "Oddball"and "Foundry" threads have now ground to a halt, what can be done about it? - what does TZ think? he did indicate earlier (about a year ago) that it was ok - still not a perfect arrangement though! and the fact that Buckets are on lockdown for the moment doesn't help. ....... I'm sure that the stuff you want to post will be well accepted in any of these threads (but which one is best?)
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Turn it into a Ryger guessing game😁

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Me and my big mouth. This will teach me not to express an opinion without first checking whether it is correct.
    It dawned on me that I have an easy way of checking: the HCCI program that I wrote some time ago for you, Neil.
    Here's what I did: 130° transfer timing , 140° exhaust timing, with the exhaust crank 30° advanced relative to the transfer crank, so the exhausts will open 100° before transfer-BDC, which gives a conventional 35° blowdown angle.
    And the exhausts will close 40° after transfer-BDC; 25° before the transfers close, so there is 25° available for supercharging. And it could easily become even more, if need be.
    Attachment 345338
    F1 considering switch to two-stroke eco-fuelled engines for 2025

Published on 13 Jan 2020 08:17 comments 8 By: Harry Mattocks

Formula 1 is considering a switch to two-stroke engines for 2025, according to the sport's chief technical officer, Pat Symonds.

Two-stroke engines are best known for powering much smaller vehicles, such as lawnmowers and small motorbikes. It is called a two-stroke as it completed a power cycle with two strokes of the piston (a stroke is an up and down movement) during a single rotation of the crankshaft.

They were previously known for using lots of fuel and having poor emissions, as the burning of oil, as well as fuel, means smoke was often seen coming from the exhaust.

However, Symonds believes that these issues are no longer present, and is currently working on what 'the future of our power units will look like.'

He is quoted by Motorsport Magazine: "At F1 this is what we are engaged in at the moment. I’m very keen on it being a two-stroke [engine].

"Much more efficient, great sound from the exhaust and a lot of the problems with the old two strokes are just not relevant any more.

"The opposed-piston engine is very much coming back and already in road car form at around 50 per cent efficiency.

"Direct injection, pressure charging, and new ignition systems have all allowed new forms of two-stroke engines to be very efficient and very emission-friendly. I think there’s a good future for them."

Eco-fuels are also being considered as a viable fuel option, as the sport continues to find ways of reducing their carbon footprint.

"I think there’s a very high chance that there might still be an internal combustion engine but maybe it’s running on hydrogen," Symonds said.

"I certainly think that the internal combustion engine has a long future and I think it has a future that’s longer than a lot of politicians realise because politicians are hanging everything on electric vehicles.

"There’s nothing wrong with electric vehicles but there are reasons why they are not the solution for everyone."
    F1 News
    << Previous article
    Next article >>
    Trending news
    small section from an f1 magazine.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Turn it into a Ryger guessing game��
    Ryger? - what's that? - ah yes that's what it nearly did become at one stage! - (The Ryger Guessing Game Thread) but it always does seem to recover! (I did worry about it a few weeks ago though, it just stopped!) - first time it's stopped!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by folke View Post
    Hi Ceci
    Im not sure i follow your thinking correctly,my theoretical plug is not solid ,it is the back pressure against the exhaust port in the cylinder, and it is created by the exhaust valve.
    Hi Folke.
    Exactly as you describe it is how I have always thought it has to be.
    I'm afraid I got confused trying to find out how your prototype works (I thought it has two cams and therefore two mechanisms: 1st closure to the outside, 2nd creation of the pulse).
    For everyone else:
    Sorry if I follow this topic here in this thread, (I suppose if it has to be changed to "Odball" it should be Folke who takes his posts there, I hope he keeps posting about his experiment)

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ceci View Post
    Hi Folke.
    Exactly as you describe it is how I have always thought it has to be.
    I'm afraid I got confused trying to find out how your prototype works (I thought it has two cams and therefore two mechanisms: 1st closure to the outside, 2nd creation of the pulse).
    For everyone else:
    Sorry if I follow this topic here in this thread, (I suppose if it has to be changed to "Oddball" it should be Folke who takes his posts there, I hope he keeps posting about his experiment)
    Trouble is, it always seems to default back to here (because this is a very popular thread) so it ends up half here and half there - never just one thread or the other! - "The Bucket Foundry" is also involved in the same way! - a lot of overlap! - there is a solution, - go to Oddball or Foundry threads!! - I tried to remain there but it was like being isolated and in lockdown - I was the only one there! - perhaps I've got B.O.!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    KR1S, KX500, gamma500, tomos
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post

BTW, hope you don't mind me asking - would you consider yourself Croatian? or Dalmation? - Many people in New Zealand have Dalmatian ancestors.
    Yep, Dalmatian at first place, but my relatives are from Australia and Alaska

Since corona, no buckets racing around here as well but I can tell you "never enough time" phrase is no longer valid.

Little or no money at all is second issue..perfect to finish bucket(s) project(s)

Bike
    1997 Yamaha rd 350

Alternate to Ryger

My idea of boxer mechanism with decreased friction losses
    You can see how small is side force at right cylinder 3.5...7kgf for 66mm piston at 8300rpm. Left piston loaded harder - it responsible for engine torque, but side force as well less than in classical mechanism and could be just guide, not working piston.
    This mechanism could be "rygerized" for 2-stroke use, at momeny it is only idea

16.04.2020 I added to my old post other video to dont overload this thread

Bike
    none
    Valery, I know that your above video only shows the principle, not the actual construction. But in the video I noticed that the connecting rod is not hinged on the left gudgeon pin, but on its own pivot point, closer to the crankshaft.

If you let the connecting rod hinge on the gudgeon pin, you can use a longer connecting rod without the construction getting bigger. And then the side force will become lower still.

Bike
    1997 Yamaha rd 350

altertate to Ryger

I know that your above video only shows the principle, not the actual construction....

If you let the connecting rod hinge on the gudgeon pin, you can use a longer connecting rod without the construction getting bigger. And then the side force will become lower still.
    Thank Frits. I tried variant like you proposed, but Ansys had converge error. It a bit lottery. Sometimes simple mechanisms dont solved, but more complicate solved easily. Will continue modify this mechanism to real life. Hope succeed. I have tenth of ideas to implement, but have to do first real simple engines and experimental stuff delayed. So I share some ideas without minor details which could be wrong, may be someone will implement better than me

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Valery, I know that your above video only shows the principle, not the actual construction. But in the video I noticed that the connecting rod is not hinged on the left gudgeon pin, but on its own pivot point, closer to the crankshaft.

Or if you made the connecting "link"? (lets call it the piston carrier ) with bearing pads at each end top and bottom (and as close to each piston crown as is practical), these pads could bear on the casing/cylinder or whatever and you would have no side forces on the piston whatsoever! - any side thrust being taken by the pads and bearers! - pistons are really quite flimsy so far as sidethrust is concerned but bearing pads are sturdy! and you then wouldn't need a longer conrod (or even a gudgeon pin on the piston for that matter - but it's handy to have one though!)...... Then, there's balance to think about too!
    Anyway, - something like that!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiplane View Post
    Thank Frits. I tried variant like you proposed, but Ansys had converge error.
    Maybe Ansys will behave it you give it some room to move - like 0,001 mm distance between the piston pin center and the con rod bearing center?

Bike
    triumph 800xc 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Yes, I would have preferred that it all went to the "Oddball" thread of course and to be fair to the Bucket guys it's cluttering up their thread but seeing that both "Odball"and "Foundry" threads have now ground to a halt, what can be done about it? - what does TZ think? he did indicate earlier (about a year ago) that it was ok - still not a perfect arrangement though! and the fact that Buckets are on lockdown for the moment doesn't help. ....... I'm sure that the stuff you want to post will be well accepted in any of these threads (but which one is best?)
    Ops im in the bad books,i was not sesitive enough to the law of the forum, sorry.I will still enjoy the forum but will not post again.Well back to my tinkering.....Bye

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by folke View Post
    Ops im in the bad books,i was not sesitive enough to the law of the forum, sorry.I will still enjoy the forum but will not post again.Well back to my tinkering.....Bye
    You're joking Folke.
    I may well have posted half of my posts in the wrong threads, but I don't have the impression that many people have bothered about that. I would be sorry to miss your contributions, in any thread.

Thread Information