Page 2359 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 1359185922592309234923572358235923602361236924092459 ... LastLast
Results 35,371 to 35,385 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    More progress from Alex at Two Stroke Stuffing.

Bike
    Reading spark plugs. 2Stroke Stuffing. Alex.

Bike
    Reading Spark Plugs. Steve Tech.

Bike
    Reading Spark Plugs to understand general engine condition. Goss Garage.

Bike
    none

Wrist pin caps

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    DT , the torlon caps I made ( Kentastic actually ) were held in by the clip and covered the pin hole completely.
    But yours colour up , and dont fail ?
    The tophat welded pins allow lube into the piston pin bearing surface - and show no heat issues at all , plus identical power.
    No other difference , so I can only assume for some reason the TM Vertex piston does not have sufficient rear lube entry ( sounds rude , sorry ).
    As I said I aborted the Torlon tests as destroying a customer engine isnt really an option - giant blouse I know.
    We do see the heat issue referred to by Jan at the outer ends of the wrist pin. Having said that, we have not had any failures. We are running methanol in our motors so I do not know if runnning on gasoline would be ok.

Bike
    Homebuilt chassi, Kawasaki 212cc
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I suppose brake caliper pistons will get hotter than piston pins, so they should be able to take the heat, but taking the heat is no problem for Torlon either;
    the problem seems to be with the pins themselves, and using a different synthetic plug material won't change that.
    I was thinking it as an cheap easy to come by replacement for those who wantīs to test the idea =)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post

Finally Alex has come to his senses
    In my eyes the 100% port with no beam to support the ring is a enginedisaster you install.
    Not waiting to happen, you install the problem and it is bound to happen very very soon.

And a hot tips for you Alex, do not turn around the engine directly with that drill after it stopped.
    Just turn around by hand first and feel it.
    Saves you money in the end, i promise!

Bike
    TZ400
    The 100% Exhaust port with the Savice patented reversed Dykes type L ring worked perfectly during hours of testing of pistons and rings made by Vertex.
    I dont understand why Alex went off on a tangent with the pinned ring idea , all that was needed was attention to the clearance detail of trapping the ring , preventing any bulge out into the port.
    This idea certainly isnt an automatic disaster , its been done , and proven.
    Of course a point load on a highly stressed thin section retaining hole is going to cause instant issues.
    The original reversed L ring had the bulging load spread out over near 1/2 the vertical legs circumference , and thus was no problem mechanically at all.
    And the bore edges of the port need to be chamfered properly , before plating , and dressed afterward with cratex/cotton mops in a die grinder , exactly as is required with a normal 72% port - not just rubbed
    by hand with a strip of sand paper.
    As always , the devils in the detail.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    That L-ring test, Was it a highrevving small engine?
    As i always will state that the piston rocks due to itīs tapered form.
    And i will still belive thatīs why the ring always catches the lower part of the port, as the piston is always prone to rock in tdc and bdc.

Due to rocking, the ring needs to have a bit of travel in and out of itīs groove and never be restricted before the piston rocking is halted by cylinderwall, otherwise it will not seal in upper part of cylinder as it should, and with that loose a lot of power.

A 'lowrevving' non highperformance engine can have less taper to the piston and it makes the piston rock less(less friction,less heat), and thereby have more control of the ring.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SwePatrick View Post
    That L-ring test, Was it a highrevving small engine?
    As i always will state that the piston rocks due to itīs tapered form.
    It is true that a piston is tapered, but the taper is calculated so that the piston become more parallel when it is at working temperature. Because the crown and the upper part of the piston has more mass and runs hotter. For both reasons it therefore expands more. Also the same reason pistons are oval and narrower on the sides to accommodate the expansion of the extra mass around the gudgen pin bosses.

Plenty of performance high revving Kart engines had L-ring or Dykes ring configuration.

Bike
    none
    I love watching "Two Stroke Stuffing" on YouTube and seeing how Alex Degnes is enjoying his hobby and at the same time is doing a wonderful job at promoting the two-stroke engine. Of course I also enjoy the way he makes good use of information, like the transfer layout in his present cylinder which mirrors my scavenging concept, his plan to incorporate my 24/7 inlet timing, and now his new cylinder with symmetrical scavenging.The latter will give him a lot more blowdown angle.area than his unbridged exhaust port experiment, and a lot more transfer angle.area to go with the enhanced blowdown.
    I can't wait to see his next videos. I don't mind admitting that from time to time it's not only a trip down memory lane for me, but also a shameless ego trip .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOS scavenging concept.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	348909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOS cyl & 24-7 valve.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	348908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-06 JWsport.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	348906 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fc11-4.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	348907 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adegnes-01.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	348910

Bike
    none
    Reading Spark Plugs.
    There is just one thing missing in those spark plug reading videos: reading the price tag on a spark plug. I have never in my life chopped a spark plug just to get a better look at its insulator, and to the best of my knowledge neither has Jan Thiel. A 20x-magnifying glass and some light is all you need.

Bike
    1964 Vespa GS
    The bottom edge of the exhaust could get a huge radius as it has zero impact on the timing. On the sides and roof of the exhaust adding a radius comes at the expense of port area as it has to be done within the confines of the port width and timing. But the port floor is the only part of the exhaust where adding a radius can be outside of the port area at least down to ~BDC.
    Patrick Owens
    www.OopsClunkThud.com

Bike
    zuma50
    To make the FOS cylinder work, I really think a dished piston, and a downward transfer roof is the answer.

Too much short circuit issues with transfers directly under exhaust port.

Bike
    TZ400
    The reverse L ring tests were done on a Rotax 128 , that reved to 14500 , no failures were seen once the radial clearance holding the vertical leg trapped within the piston groove
    was correct.
    Too tight and it caused premature blowby , too loose and you could see scuffing beginning on the port corner radi.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Thread Information