Page 2528 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 1528202824282478251825262527252825292530253825782628 ... LastLast
Results 37,906 to 37,920 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Can't help you there but your gudgeon pin looks dreadful. Hope that's an old scrap one.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Can't help you there but your gudgeon pin looks dreadful. Hope that's an old scrap one.
    You are right. It is a re used one. looks much worse in the photo than real life. Camera picks up all the little discolorations.

Bike
    TZ400
    Dead correct , for a race engine 58% is proven technology.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    You are right. It is a re used one. looks much worse in the photo than real life. Camera picks up all the little discolorations.
    Out of interest, What is the balance factor now in its current mondo vibrating form?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I think you are flattering your camera. Looks like it was taken with a Nokia flip phone.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Out of interest, What is the balance factor now in its current mondo vibrating form?
    I did not bother to work it out. All I know for sure is that it vibrates really really bad at 9-10,000 rpm. When I looked into it I found the reciprocating weight side was notably heavier than the counter weight side.

P.S. Thanks for the link, read up on the 10,000 rpm 250 single and that they dynamically balanced the crank. I have seen car cranks done that way but how to make something home made to test a single crank looks challenging.

Lots of interesting reading here on bikes and adventure:- https://www.oldbikemag.com.au/

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I think you are flattering your camera. Looks like it was taken with a Nokia flip phone.
    Yep you are probably right. I should dig around in the old tea chest again and see if I can find a better piston pin. I suppose you would be horrified to know it's the same place I found the little end and cir-clips.......

A great deal of this engine came out of a Cowshed and old wooden Tea chest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawasaki F9 Parts.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	830.0 KB 
ID:	352588

Bike
    none
    F81M balance factor post 1.

Name:	kw1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	769.0 KB 
ID:	352582Reciprocating weight is 372g

Name:	kw2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	770.6 KB 
ID:	35258350% balance factor would be 186g.
    Where is your con rod in that second picture? The weight of its small end should be part of the 186 g.
    186 g plus the small end weight will give a notably higher balance factor (which in practice may not be a bad thing).

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Where is your con rod in that second picture? The weight of its small end should be part of the 186 g.
    186 g plus the small end weight will give a notably higher balance factor (which in practice may not be a bad thing).
    Hello Frits, it's been an honour to read your posts on the various forums during the years.
    Regarding the balance factor, i'd like to ask you which is, in your opinion, the best route to follow when manufacturing a crankshaft from scratch: once I know the alternating mass, and designed the crank webs according to the engine case... how should I continue? simmetric holes on each big end side? a simulation?

my engine also has its oem balance shaft (pic below): if I, for example, use the 58% balance factor Wobbly suggested on the crankshaft, is there a way to properly adjust the balance shaft factor? (other than trying i guess, but just to have a starting point). Tbh I've also read Jan Thiel saying that you must just get rid of cagiva type balance shaft, but there's always time to throw it away after testing

thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	352584  

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradella23 View Post
    Hello Frits, it's been an honour to read your posts on the various forums during the years.
    Regarding the balance factor, i'd like to ask you which is, in your opinion, the best route to follow when manufacturing a crankshaft from scratch: once I know the alternating mass, and designed the crank webs according to the engine case... how should I continue? simmetric holes on each big end side? a simulation?

my engine also has its oem balance shaft (pic below): if I, for example, use the 58% balance factor Wobbly suggested on the crankshaft, is there a way to properly adjust the balance shaft factor? (other than trying i guess, but just to have a starting point). Tbh I've also read Jan Thiel saying that you must just get rid of cagiva type balance shaft, but there's always time to throw it away after testing
    thanks in advance.
    Grazie Gradella.
    A full description of how to manufacture a crankshaft would take more time than I have available. But I would strive for symmetry as much as possible.
    You can also take a look at an Aprilia RSA125 crankshaft; not at the RSA250 crankshaft, because that is asymmetrically balanced.

For an engine with a balance shaft I would give the crankshaft a 50% balance factor en let the balance shaft take care of the other 50%.

The Cagiva balance shaft in your photo evokes memories. In Calusco d'Adda, where Jan Thiel and I lived for a while, we knew a Sport Production rider with a Cagiva Mito. According to the regulations you were not allowed to do anything to the engine but when I saw that balance shaft, I saw possibilities. It rotated at the bottom of the crankcase, submerged in gearbox oil, like a cream whipper. That must have cost power, so a cylindrical sleeve was fitted around it, smoothing its circumference. This brought 2 hp and no one ever thought of checking not only the cylinder but also the balance shaft.

Bike
    Yamaha XJ750 1982

Attachment 352576 And a picture of my F81M's rotary valve compared to a standard unit for anyone interested in such things.

I am surprised no-one commented on this yet!

Name:	F81M Rotary Valve - Annotated.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	352585  

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vannik View Post
    I am surprised no-one commented on this yet!
    Wish I had known that 50 years ago. I had a 72 F9 (Bighorn) 350 that did that twice. Once with the standard rotary valve, and once with the disc I had trimmed a bit off. Wear on the port was the least of the damage, the stainless bits made a real mess of the piston.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Vannik View Post

Name:	F81M Rotary Valve - Annotated.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	352586 I am surprised no-one commented on this yet!
    I had rounded the edge's of the disk so that the port was completely opened/closed at the same instance in the hope that would improve the induction pulse. Wondered why the port edge was wearing. Thanks for the heads up.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I thought weighing the reciprocating mass and then hanging a percentage of its mass off the end of the conrod was the way to go. I will have to re visit how I am doing this.

Bike
    TZ400
    The best disc shape to help wear is to angle cut the closing side as per this Aprilia pic.
    I tested every shape possible doing Hines 250 Rotax Superkart , and nothing made any more power than that - with the added bonus of less wear on the case.

Name:	RSW250 inlaat.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	352587  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Thread Information