Page 259 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 1592092492572582592602612693093597591259 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Which illustrates one of several problems faced when trying to coax power out of the KE, there is no inner radius to the transfer ducts, just the the liner. The attached photo shows the minor porting thus far (only about 12hrs work in the cylinder) the plan for today is to add epoxy to the liner to form a 6mm inner radius to the main transfers duct.
    What I have realised through this process is that the Suzuki is a better unit for modifying than my Kawasaki - wider and radiused transfer ducts, larger rotary disk, better head etc (Im making excuses in case I dont crack 20hp, that would be embarassing!) although the KE does have a strong 6 speed box.

This is the KE
    Attachment 236848
    Im aiming for something like this
    Attachment 236847
    I thought the KE cylinder was a one piece iron casting ie no liner as such.
    Why don't you look at grafting a GP125 cylinder to the Kwaka bottom end?

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    [QUOTE=kel;1130039076] the plan for today is to add epoxy to the liner to form a 6mm inner radius to the main transfers duct./QUOTE]

So epoxy and I arent great friends, last time I used the stuff it was a bloody disaster, but this time things have worked out quite well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epoxied duct_1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	236861 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epoxied duct 2_1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	236862
    obviously need a finish up and some more area to be cut into the duct but overall I think this has worked out quite well.
    Sorry to high jack the thread TZ but thought you'd like to see the result

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    What kind of epoxy did you use?
    I have tried some Devcon Titanium putty, and also devcon aluminium putty. I found the former cured harder and was a lot easier to grind , but pretty hard to file.
    the aluminium stuff stayed kinda soft. Maybe I need to buy fresh stuff
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    the plan for today is to add epoxy to the liner to form a 6mm inner radius to the main transfers duct.

Name:	epoxied duct_1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	236861 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epoxied duct 2_1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	236862

obviously need a finish up and some more area to be cut into the duct but overall I think this has worked out quite well.
    Thats very interesting, it looks as good as the sample cylinder.

Are you going to make the transfer entry about 1.2 the window area like Wobbly suggests?

We would love to see more of this build as it progresses.

I wish more people would post their work as I hear there are a few hot projects in the pipe line.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    What kind of epoxy did you use?
    Pratley steel putty, $10 for 125g.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Are you going to make the transfer entry about 1.2 the window area like Wobbly suggests?
    Almost, as ridiculous as it might sound Im trying to follow the ratios that Frits listed for the RSA. He'd probably fall over laughing if he saw the KE.
    "There is hardly an optimal ratio of duct area to port window. I generally try to obtain a value of 1,5 but when you look at the B-transfers of an Aprilia (A is the set nearest the exhaust; then come the B-ports, then the C-port opposite the exhaust) you will see that the entry at the cylinder base is almost a rectangle, with a width of 19mm and a 'length' (in riding direction) of 16 mm; that gives 304 mm².
    The B-window in the cylinder wall has a width of 25 mm, a height of 13,2 mm and an upward angle of 10°; the effective port area is 325 mm²; it's bigger than the entry area.
    That may seem strange, but remember that the entry area is open all the time and the port is not..."

Frits has also written a lot about expansion chamber design problem is the copy I have is in Dutch, would love to hear from someone who can translate to English.

Bike
    Yo momma

would love to hear from someone who can translate to English.
    Google 'translate'

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    I thought the KE cylinder was a one piece iron casting ie no liner as such.
    Why don't you look at grafting a GP125 cylinder to the Kwaka bottom end?
    The KH100 was a one piece, that thing was a bitch to port. The KE series were ali cylinders with iron liners.
    Yeah thought about whipping one of the many ESE cylinders they have lined up on their benches but figure I've helped myself to enough already, intellectual property that is, besides its time for the return of Kawasaki dominance.

Bike
    -
    besides its time for the return of Kawasaki dominance.
    doesn't seem to be happening in many other road race arenas so might as well start in buckets!

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    [QUOTE=TZ350;1130014421 if all that goes well and we are getting good over rev at the top I will try water injection to see if we can extend the lower part of the power spread.[/QUOTE]

Finally dug up the NSR water injection article, thought it was more in depth.

Name:	nsr_wa10.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	236910 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nsr_wa11.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	236909

Bike
    Ok, I have had a bit of a play.

Name:	AA Small Crank 27hp Cly 002.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	236917

Red line is the original 27hp engine setup, the blue line is the 2mm clearance (+50cc) crank after a bit of fiddling with the jets and ignition.

So much for peaky 2-Strokes, it looks like a usefull 4k+ power spread, good FXR's run to 5, so we are getting closer to 4-Stroke tractor drivability and I have ideas about how to extend the bottom.

Looks like 2mm clearance might have something going for it, or is it the extra 50cc crankcase volume?

Bike
    Several
    I wish more people would post their work as I hear there are a few hot projects in the pipe line.
    After getting a bigger carb on mine I've moved away from worrying too much about power as the main bottle-neck turned to ground clearance.
    That is hopefully sussed for now, until I improve other areas and it becomes the bottleneck again! Still the handling is slowing me up a bit more than lack of power at Kaitoke. (and Talent issues...)

But then when my bike didn't like the wet (waterproof kill switch is a good idea!) I got to have a go on another MB engined bike that is a lot better developed in the engine and handling and had bloody good fun on it.

It has got the lust for power dangerously high at the moment so I may get all silly and depart from my low(ish) power plans...
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    TZ400
    Frits and I have discussed the duct entry ratio before and if you consider that the actual duct entry window starts near the bore radius in the Aprilia, then the ratios are 1.1 and 1.3.
    Where the outer duct wall is a long way from the bore ,the same designers added length on the inner wall to reduce the intake window area at the gasket - see RS500
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS500-4.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	236941  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Ok, I have had a bit of a play.

Name:	AA Small Crank 27hp Cly 002.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	236917

Red line is the original 27hp engine setup, the blue line is the 2mm clearance (+50cc) crank after a bit of fiddling with the jets and ignition.

So much for peaky 2-Strokes, it looks like a usefull 4k+ power spread, good FXR's run to 5, so we are getting closer to 4-Stroke tractor drivability and I have ideas about how to extend the bottom.

Looks like 2mm clearance might have something going for it, or is it the extra 50cc crankcase volume?
    That is the best graph I have seen from you yet.
    Now get it to the track to back up and or prove your data!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Now get it to the track to back up and or prove your data!
    How exactly does getting it to the track backup/prove the dyno data, dyno data is dyno data. Better that someone drages a Derbi or Aprilia over and does a back to back on the dyno with my GP and we post the results.

The track is more a measure of riding skill I would have thought, as there is plenty of evidence at Mt Welly of good riders doing well on bikes with inferior engines, Mark for one.

Having said that, it would be interesting to have someone who can ride well, try it out and give us their opinion.

Thread Information