Page 512 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 1241246250251051151251351452256261210121512 ... LastLast
Results 7,666 to 7,680 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Hmm seems you're a bit further on than me
    Attachment 263668
    Guess I should pull it out from under my desk and get on with it.
    Oh and a big thanks to Leed for putting me on to a Japanese proxy bidding service, I now have several parts I was unable to source in NZ
    I have that swingarm for you. It has that missing spacer on it. Are you coming to the next Mt Welly Meet?

Bike
    razor scooter(pink)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    The Waddon frame is not bad but I think it could do with more direct (rigid) connections between the steering head and the outsides of the sing-arm axle.
    I would definitely prefer building a new frame rather than cutting up an existing one. As an example of a simple, light, easy to build and rigid frame I would suggest the layout below. Frames like this one are used in German 50 cc and 85 cc races. So far, perfect score. Notice the rake angle and the forward mass distribution.
    Any more pics or a website for this bike Frits?

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Hey TZ instead of cutting the frame on your bucket , here is a 3LN already modified

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-473732600.htm
    Ahhh the short wheelbase version...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Ahhh the short wheelbase version...
    yes, designed for quick turn-in. But obviously not quick enough for the previous owner.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I don't know. But I would steer away from second-hand rims, both carbon-fibre and magnesium. You never know what they've had to put up with.

I did take a look at your chassis thread; haven't had time to read the full 18 pages yet, but I certainly will.
    The Waddon frame is not bad but I think it could do with more direct (rigid) connections between the steering head and the outsides of the sing-arm axle.
    I would definitely prefer building a new frame rather than cutting up an existing one. As an example of a simple, light, easy to build and rigid frame I would suggest the layout below. Frames like this one are used in German 50 cc and 85 cc races. So far, perfect score. Notice the rake angle and the forward mass distribution.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...6&d=1336923799
    Its really Cotswolds thread he had one, years ago when he was faster
    Yes like all frames the Spine is a compromise. esp in the areas you mention the space frame/Ladder/Lattice is a far better compromise of course.
    But not so simple to fabricate for the motals (amateur.)
    The Wandon frames depicted are largely deigned for the Rotax tandam twin (for the most part) so i think the engine can be further forward with a straight connection to the steering head on a single (disk Valve) with a longer steering head and some judicious re-angling for more forward bias.

Lastly anyone out there with any experience running 2.5x17 and 3.5x17 rims in a NF4 chassis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    for those older gents that dont have Facebook

Av qualified on pole for the first round of the italian womens championship

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	521433_10150868564644870_681674869_9375487_814434632_n.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	263680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	526158_208781195892002_200423770061078_249608_1954694363_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	263682
    "Got a trophy before even racing lol starting from pole for the first round of the italian womens championship tomorrow.
    Have some work to do in the cbr cup though from 26th! Crazy competitive class! Maybe rain tomorrow"

but not everything went her way

"Well that didn't end well.."
    "Avalon Biddle Goodbye misano!! I dont want to see you, your crappy weather or your gravel traps for a while thanks "

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	540020_10150871306079870_681674869_9384574_1053045105_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	263681

From Wil Sport Management
    Not a good day at the office. Full report to come but the rains came down and carnage ensure. Put it this way. In qualifying 6secs seperated the first 30 riders. The race was won about 12 secs from 2nd place and over a minute to 3rd!!! A third of field crashed including our two riders but Avalon did pick up her bike to finish 17th. She reportedly made one amazing overtaking manouvre - but was sliding down the track on her back at the time!! Lets wait for the report once battered egos have recovered. No injuries so that's the main thing.

Here is a brief run down from the weekend from Avalon.
    What an eventful weekend at misano! The testing we had done here paid off and i felt good in the scorching heat during practise and qualifying, dropping my times by nearly a second every time i went on track. Saturday qualifying saw me in first position for the italian womens championship, and 26th in the cbr cup class. I turned a few heads as i was presented with a trophy for qualifying in pole position and when they handed me the microphone to give a speech i blurted out ''yeah i'm stoked!'' in a big kiwi accent. Memo from Fred: italian's have no idea what 'stoked' means.

A dramatic change of weather on sunday brought rain and strong winds, making Travis and i feel almost at home. We both were having a fantastic ride and had made it up to 10th and 11th place respectively before a 5th gear high-side threw me over the bars at around 200km p/hr. Fortunatley the bike and i were remarkably unscathed, and even smiling, as i managed to get back on and pass 4 or 5 riders to finish in 17th position.

A great start in the womens race left me out front for a lap and then running in second place until 3 laps from the finish my front wheel washed out under brakes. The bike was still upright when it happened so i was understandably annoyed to come away with no points. Redemption is on the cards for the next round at vallelunga.

A huge thanks to WIL sport management and Fred Merkel for their efforts to make this awesome experience a possibilty!
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    Blog Entries
    oh well its late on a monday night & its quiet in here. I've just realised I haven't posted a musical interlude for 100 pages or more, as that seems to be my only sensible contribution I don't want to slack on my responsibilities.

However tonight's flavour is decidedly silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdXOu...eature=related

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by 2T Institute View Post
    Any more pics or a website for this bike Frits?
    I am not at liberty to post the drawings. But you may find some pics here: http://www.simson-rennteam.de/

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

interludes

more interludes dave...... more interludes

Bike
    Blog Entries
    in another 88 pages.

Bike
    TZ400
    The music vid may seem silly - unless you know why it was done by Maynard.
    But forget the vid tarts - watch the whole DVD and check out the bass player in heels - im in love.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I've read some of the spiel ages back, but I tend to lose interest in celebrities & their distorted views on life. To the point where it wasn't till I saw the vid for weak & powerless (when released, by chance) that I thought Gee the vid looks like a bit too much like a Tool Vid. . . hold on a min, maybe it sounds like the same singer. oh Duh! Had the previous CD for years & never noticed. I had decided I didn't care too much about the bands, just their output, so why waste my time. Must be getting old.

Bike
    TZ400
    Specific Time Area sounds like a album title Tool could do - I hope to get to see Maynard at his winery soon, so will suggest it to him.
    They might consider putting out a Blue Ray with a STA app on it, certainly sell more than Neels has of EngMod2T.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    tf bucket

ATAC valve

More questions for the wise ones,
    How good does the seal around the butterfly need to be : should there be clearance to allow for expansion of the flap ??
    How critical is it to have the butterfly open into the ex, stream? ( mine is going to be about 5mm from the inside wall of the header when open and close to 10 when closed )

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmaken View Post
    More questions for the wise ones,
    How good does the seal around the butterfly need to be : should there be clearance to allow for expansion of the flap ??
    How critical is it to have the butterfly open into the ex, stream? ( mine is going to be about 5mm from the inside wall of the header when open and close to 10 when closed )

I am not wise but if you have a look on Ebay Cr125 about 1986 there are plenty. Remember it opens Parallel to the flow as well not into it.

IE with the butterfly offering as little as poss restriction to the flow as possible.
    You can bet big money Honda did a fair bit on testing to come up with there configurations for the std bikes.The bottom one has a spacer to increase volume.

NS400r not so many around
    Atac valves

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Honda obviously found out how to make these things work just as I did.
    As short a connecting tube as you can get, diameter about 1/2 the header,ATAC vol about the same as the cylinder swept vol.
    We had about 1/3 of the throttle plate hanging down in the header when it was open, in line with the flow direction.
    By experiment you find the point where the resonating volume starts to kill power, and then go back a couple of hundred rpm, and snap it shut with a rpm driven solenoid.
    Easy with the Ignitech programmable output.
    There is NO advantage to ramping the closing point ie interconnecting it with the PowerValve is nowhere near as effective as a single point solenoid action.
    Spencers Honda 500 Triple had two of them on the outer pipes, and it was completely unrideable without them.
    You could get even better useable band width by having a double volume system, where another plate valve opened and shut the entrance to a second bottle vol.
    The two being open initially, then the second vol being shut off, creating a much smaller vol that was then shut of at a higher rpm.
    But hey the simple thing works a treat on engines with no option for a PV.
    I posted about this a while ago.The chamber needs to be about the swept vol of the cylinder.
    When its big enough, going bigger does nothing.
    The connecting tube should be about 1/2 the header dia, as short as possible, with the controlling throttle plate as close to the pipe as you can get it, and as close to the flange as you can get it.
    The resonant effect works up to a specific rpm, then kills power real quick, so you need an rpm "switch" to control a solenoid that quickly snaps the plate open at a set point,unlike a powervalve that can be ramped.
    Many current cylinders have an ATAC volume within the casting that is opened/closed at the same time as the powervalve. This is easy but for sure not the best setup.
    [QUOTE=TZ350;1130094200]
    To increase low end power Wobbly has pointed me towards the Honda ATAC system, he tells me that they had some success with the idea on the BSL500. He sent me this picture and some pointers on where to put it on the header.

Attachment 241414

"As close to the flange as you can, and get the throttle plate as close to the header as you can to reduce the ill effects when its closed at hi rpm......... Wob"

Other Bits and Bobs about the ATAC system that I scraped from the net........

ATAC System: The Honda Automatic Torque Amplification Chamber system works by effectively increasing or decreasing the volume of the exhaust system with a small butterfly valve located just before the exhaust connection.

A few pictures here:- http://www.scooterhelp.com/moto.barrels/honda.cr250.84_85.overview.html
    A bit of YouTube of a guy working on his ATAC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7D0jLcfws

Atac and vtac differ very little. Vtac is a resonator chamber like kips, with only one inlet/outlet where atac is a bypass chamber with a in and out yet it doesn't block the main exhaust flow even when open so it very much acts like a resonator.

Attachment 241367 Attachment 241376

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241373[/ATTACH
    In the testing I have done, the volume of the resonator chamber isnt critical, once you have reached a certain size.The best place to start is equal to the cylinder displacement, and this will "work" every time.
    Fitted to a world champ ski engine, these chambers, operated by a flat, throttle slide plate,added over 30% more power at 1/2 peak rpm.
    They seem to work very similar to a PV, in that the pipe effects are dramatically reduced in the area where the wave action is way out of phase with the port.
    This is seen in the sim, and on the dyno, in that you can change the pipe dramatically, and it has little effect when the PV is down, or the chamber is open.
    I simply dont "get" the correlation between bmep and Ex gas mean temp at all.
    It is entirely possible to set up an engine to produce X - Hp at just about any reasonable mean temp.
    The gas temp affects the pipe dynamics, and is a function of the static compression, the ignition advance, and just as importantly the dynamic compression ( that is achieved by the delivery ratio X the trapping efficiency).
    We can achieve the same power using unleaded fuel running very rich with lots of advance and no com, this would give a header temp of say 1050F.
    On leaded Avgas, the tuning combination would be very different , but the header temp for best power on that fuel would need to be over 1200F.

You use the bmep to correlate the port STAs with the Hp target.
    The pipe temp is a separate function that dictates the pipe length needed to work with the Ex duration you have derived from the STA calcs.
    The 9 Bar engine can be run at 500C or 600C, it all depends upon the tuning approach, and the fuel used, as to what the mean temp in the pipe ends up being.
    My thoughts,from the testing I did with a PV and ATAC operated separately ( instead of combined together as many MX engines have now) is that this works real well with no down sides at all,and is easy to implement..
    OK, here is some info on how to utilise the servo option on the Ignitech.
    The servo has 5 wires, two are 12V +/- and the other 3 are the servo feedback positioning pot.
    Always wire the two functions on separate plugs.Once you have the servo connected to the blade or whatever, disconnect the servo motor power plug.
    Then on the screen you will have a readout for the servo position, as mV or as a % if using the RACE box.
    I have never used the % option so here is how to program the mV setup.Drive the servo to the travel limit ( in, or down or whatever) by gripping the servo wheel with vise grips.
    Cycle it back and forth a few times to get an accurate position that takes up any small slack in the cables.Note down the "servo measured" value on the screen.Then wind the servo around to the opposite limit, note this value down.
    Then in the servo screen you can enter the two values of fully up, and fully down, with an rpm span between them.
    Use a few of the extra points in between, so you can, if needed, force a non linear movement with rpm ie not a straight line.
    Hit program, turn off the ECU,turn it on again, and it will cycle up and down,as it has been programmed.
    You can check the up and down positions and compare the "servo measured" to the "servo desired" on screen, in real time.
    The hysteresis should be set usually at around 100mV, less will speed up the response, but go too low and the servo will "hunt" around the values programed.
    The RZ servos are all getting old and shagged - the newer R1 servo is mechanically very similar but uses a special molded in plug - I have the right ones to match.
    The R6 and ZXR ones are not as well made, the shaft isnt supported at both ends properly.
    Here is a sample wiring setup and a PV curve, set to start opening at 7200 and full open at 9000, with about 1V of span between.
    You could use this to rotate a spool like an RZ, a blade like a flat PV or even the 1/2 throttle plate if you wanted to.

The cylinders that use the powervalve action to open and close a port linking to a chamber within the casting are very limited by physical room.
    We tested a couple of sizes of connecting tube and plate valve, and found that if it was smaller than 1/2 the header dia it didnt work near as well.Bigger than that and the flow disruption lost top end power.
    We had a 20mm tube on a 43mm header for the 166cc cylinder size, with a 150cc chamber, and as I said this gave around 28% more power just below where the valve closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    From reading Blair, I had formed the impression that mean ex temp was directly related to BMEP.

But a moments thought would have shown me that its not as close a correlation as I had thought.

I was reminded by your post that the ex temp can also be affected by fuelling and ignition advance (amongst other things).

And of course on our own engines we are retarding the ignition and leaning out the mixture by closing the electric power jet so as to heat the ex gas in the pipe and thereby extend the over rev.
    Last edited by husaberg; 15th May 2012 at 17:04. Reason: Er ....only 2 at the moment in USA EBAY
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information