Page 54 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556641041545541054 ... LastLast

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    I think we have lost sight of what Speedpro was saying. That the dyno is perfectly good enough for development work.

Anyways....

So what is your next step Teezee? Obviously you have a much more powerful engine than before... when is the next race?

I guess logically you need to gauge what it feels like now, so a race meeting is the obvious choice!

On another (old) subject.... this is a piston that a company in Italy are now using..... I like the concept actually!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bike
    2005 Custom Moped
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    You'd definitely need the latest DOS emulator. Some sort of dual processor platform should be able to run it OK. Say 2Gb of RAM would help of course.
    thanks speedpro
    heaps of RAM and processor speed is the answer to a lot of PC woes.
    I could donate older hardware if anyone was keen ,but its not the way forward

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by SS90 View Post
    Anyways....

So what is your next step Teezee? Obviously you have a much more powerful engine than before... when is the next race?

I guess logically you need to gauge what it feels like now, so a race meeting is the obvious choice!

On another (old) subject.... this is a piston that a company in Italy are now using..... I like the concept actually!
    Thanks for a look at the piston. I wouldn't have thought of flowing the transfers like that. I have a cylinder that needs reboring and an oversize 0.5mm Wiesco piston that looks like it can be cut away a bit. Out of interest the piston you have shown me, are they for sale? I use a 56mm piston with a 14 or 16mm pin?

Getting to run the bike again next Sunday (2 days time) at Kaitoki. Then there is a points race at Mt Wellington the following Sunday so I will know a whole lot more by then.

The Yamaha SAE paper and MOTA measure the way the transfer ports point to the rear of the cylinder differently. The SAE paper measures it tangentaly and is a whole lot easier to do than MOTA's radial approch.

Its taxing me a bit trying to make good measurements of the port angles, but getting there. And I am keen to see if I can get some good torque and revs dyno data sometime so I can model the engine in MOTA and have a good base to research the port/chamber mods before actually cutting metal.

I was impressed with Johns dyno, many good bikes have been developed there. Avalons Honda RS125 gets developed there and she is running at the front of the GP125 class this year. The idea of graphing Hp against road speed works well and is fantastic for setting up the gearing, totaly impressed and will be going there again (lots).

My current barrel ex opens 81 ATDC 71% bore width and the RM pipe are not the best match and I want to develop a barrel with more modern port shapes and timings, like ex opens 86 ATDC 68% bore width, trans open 116 ATDC, inlet 145/55 and 1.5 primery comp ratio to run with the RM or a more modern chamber.

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Thanks for a look at the piston.

My current barrel ex opens 81 ATDC 71% bore width and the RM pipe are not the best match and I want to develop a barrel with more modern port shapes and timings, like ex opens 86 ATDC 68% bore width, trans open 116 ATDC, inlet 145/55 and 1.5 primery comp ratio to run with the RM or a more modern chamber.

I have emailed the company (fortunately they speak German) and asked for details about the piston.

Interesting about your timings.....86 Deg for the exhaust is pretty damn good!,and 116 for the transfers is about right too (in my opinion)....a very useable engine!, but you do realise that you will need to shorten your stinger length (considerably), as well as change the angle of your diffusers (both of them, as well as the length...) to make use of these timings..... right?....
    Also, I could suggest a new header pipe as well..... (not being picky,just trying to help)

The exhaust width is a good idea, it will cost you torque, but will also reduce the temperature of the piston, so it's a fair exchange!

I have made an exhaust to the same specs as yours/ old school RM125 it was funny to calculate, compared to modern equations..... WOW!..... And next I am tuning a cylinder to the same specs as you have now as well.. (OK cast iron Polini, and it's 133cc's...and the inlet manifold has to be 134mm (can't change that), fortunately it does have a 24mm carb! But a customer is paying, as that is the only way I can do it), not perfect, but the closest I can do right now, and it will be interesting to see what I can get.... I assure you, the dyno I use will NOT read 19.5 PS......... it will be somewhat less...... we will see on that. My calculations are closer to 17PS......., but I believe it will have 15 NM....... Certainly not the best I can do (exhaust is a limiting factor, so is carb size, as is inlet manifold length as well.)

I will take a picture of the exhaust on saturday (tomorrow is a holiday...yay!) and post that (just for fun)

If you want some help with your exhaust, I am willing to lend a hand.

Nice work on the new port timings.....not "cutting edge", but not far off!

Oh yea....measuring port angles....... I feel your pain........I even made "moulds" from hot plastic once.........

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Quote Originally Posted by craisin View Post
    thanks speedpro
    Hi Craisin, How easy is it to write a dyno program???....... it's not really complicated mathematics, and there is already a roller needing a new program.... it just needs to be able to accept an RPM pick up, and you can do so much more!!

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by craisin View Post
    thanks speedpro
    My "piss taking" definitely needs work. It's DOS people!

An old 386 with 640Kb RAM will be fine. Any odd number version of DOS should be fine. I'm old, I can remember being impressed with my work 486 with 1.2Mb RAM.

If you are running one of those new "Windows" OSs just click Start - run, then enter "command". You are now in the world of DOS.

Bike
    2005 Custom Moped
    Hi Craisin, How easy is it to write a dyno program???....... it's not really complicated mathematics, and there is already a roller needing a new program.... it just needs to be able to accept an RPM pick up, and you can do so much more!!
    Hi SS90 my path into computers began about 6 years ago when a friend gave me an old 386 running w95 It would break down quite often and a nephew said he would fix it if i would fix his car. In the end I was better in fixing PCs than my nephew
    But what i didnt realise I had become a pirate as they say, so i bought a brand new PC to avoid being a pirate.
    And i started using Linux on older PCs I have been given for helping people with their projects.
    Ive taken the easy way and avoided using DOS as most people use young people as a way through computer programing to avoid red tape .

Bike
    2005 Custom Moped
    My "piss taking" definitely needs work. It's DOS people!

An old 386 with 640Kb RAM will be fine. Any odd number version of DOS should be fine. I'm old, I can remember being impressed with my work 486 with 1.2Mb RAM.

If you are running one of those new "Windows" OSs just click Start - run, then enter "command". You are now in the world of DOS.
    yeah right speedpro there are many way to skin a cat but not ceiling cat cause he knows a lot about stroking and he doesnt let the secrets out

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Not quite, if you have vista you have to do a bit of running around to get it to work. Also "cmd" works just as well and its faster You may have problems trying to run old dos programs in a 32 or 64 bit os though. May just be easier to get a 486 off trademe for $5.

Bike
    I have emailed the company (fortunately they speak German) and asked for details about the piston.

Interesting about your timings.....86 Deg for the exhaust is pretty damn good!,and 116 for the transfers is about right too (in my opinion)....a very useable engine!, but you do realise that you will need to shorten your stinger length (considerably), as well as change the angle of your diffusers (both of them, as well as the length...) to make use of these timings..... right?....
    Also, I could suggest a new header pipe as well..... (not being picky,just trying to help) ...
    Many thanks SS90 for looking into the piston.

I would be interested in your ideas. I am keen to plan then construct a new barrel/pipe combo for drive out of corners.

Bike
    Best Bitza Bucket 2008 BoB
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks SS90. I would be interested in your ideas.

You better not still be home, you'll need to be fresh for your whooping tommorrow!

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully60 View Post
    You better not still be home, you'll need to be fresh for your whooping tommorrow!
    you'r getting him all excited
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    Fawwwk what, not Tommorow?????? .....Help.... better get my skates on..........

Bike
    Best Bitza Bucket 2008 BoB
    Blog Entries
    Fawwwk what, not Tommorow?????? .....Help.... better get my skates on..........

You'll need to keep them on all weekend

Bike
    You'll need to keep them on all weekend
    Yea I recon. I have been up to look at the track. Can't wait.

Thread Information