Page 698 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 19859864868869669769869970070874879811981698 ... LastLast
Results 10,456 to 10,470 of 39409

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    FXR150 bucket racer
    One last post from today's dyno session.

We did a few runs though all the gears, first using the clutch (photo 1) then without the clutch (photo 2). The comparison is in photo 3. The spikes when using the clutch in the lower gears seemed to suggest that the bike was making over 9hp. The conclusion we have reached is that clutch slippage when letting out the clutch allows the engine revs to rise and when the clutch grips, the extra inertia of the rotating engine parts is transferred to the dyno drum and gives it a little bit of extra shove.

9hp looks quite exciting on the chart, but in reality while the clutch is slipping I guess I'm not moving forward as fast, so what I gain when the clutch grips, has already been lost. Oh well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch All Gear.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	277026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Clutch All Gear.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	277028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch Red and No Clutch Blue.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	277027  

Bike
    razor scooter(pink)
    Seems that Euro tuners were onto the pipe step years before Japan Inc 'discovered' it. From a 79 390
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huskyport_zps5a98fbfa.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	277031  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Just before we gave up for the night yesterday, we thought we'd try out my fancy new NGK BR9EIX iridium spark plug ($29 from Scootling in Auckland). The BR9ES that was in the bike was of completely unknown vintage and might have been there since the bike was new (in 2002). The results suggest that I can save myself a few bob on spark plugs in future.

But notice I'm still smiling. This dyno business is fun!

Tim
    I think you will find the results are conclusive only for that engine in that state of tune. Raise the com any further & you may find the std plugs no longer cut it. Good to see another 50 out there, but time to crank in some decent power & turn a few revs.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Good to see another 50 out there, but time to crank in some decent power & turn a few revs.
    Agreed. Great to see the enthusiasm Tim but you're never going to get any real performance with the standard setup. Bolt up parts costing less than a thousand dollars will double the power output, considered modifications and testing from that point will deliver nearer 20hp! A few dollars and an expression of talent and the two Daves 50cc reigne may well be over

Bike
    rd 350 ypvs 1985
    Still don't find the step story complete, it's not only the outlet is smaller then the first dia of the pipe but also the other way around. If one finds the proper outlet dia/ duct volume, why still make the pipe bigger? (thus having a step or as mallosi did a venturi if i get it right?)

Mmmmmmm, moral of the story would be they where on to something but not quit there yet?

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by ief View Post
    Still don't find the step story complete, it's not only the outlet is smaller then the first dia of the pipe but also the other way around. If one finds the proper outlet dia/ duct volume, why still make the pipe bigger? (thus having a step or as mallosi did a venturi if i get it right?)
    Malossi did not do that venturi; I did. The Malossi-text in the pipe drawing means 'for Malossi'; not 'by Malossi'.
    ...moral of the story would be they where on to something but not quit there yet?
    You reckon, if I'm not explaining all of it, I don't know about it, Ief?

Bike
    rd 350 ypvs 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Malossi did not do that venturi; I did. The Malossi-text in the pipe drawing means 'for Malossi'; not 'by Malossi'.
    You reckon, if I'm not explaining all of it, I don't know about it, Ief?
    My bad on the first part, missing some subtle (or obvious) nuance here I think, I really don't get what you're saying in the second part, guess I should stick to dutch

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Agreed. Great to see the enthusiasm Tim but you're never going to get any real performance with the standard setup. Bolt up parts costing less than a thousand dollars will double the power output, considered modifications and testing from that point will deliver nearer 20hp! A few dollars and an expression of talent and the two Daves 50cc reigne may well be over
    My whole bike cost less than that. Bloody chequebook racers

Bike
    Yo momma
    My whole bike cost less than that. Bloody chequebook racers
    Does it make 20hp???

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Bloody chequebook racers
    I havent seen a cheque book in years. Maybe we should call you "Old School Dave",
    Quick look on line and the Malossi MHR replica top end kit (not the MHR team) is available for 275 euro's. Bit of a tickle, larger carb and reed block, Frits Overmars pipe ...

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    I havent seen a cheque book in years. Maybe we should call you "Old School Dave",
    Quick look on line and the Malossi MHR replica top end kit (not the MHR team) is available for 275 euro's. Bit of a tickle, larger carb and reed block, Frits Overmars pipe ...
    Credit Card Racers?
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldDarcyGraph2.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	277040

This is an old graph but it shows how a pipe that peaked at 10,500rpm can be made to extend the power curve by progressively shortening it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Long+Hose+Short Nozzel2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	277041

... a comparison of the power curves of the new long adapter (blue), the new short adapter (green) and the new short adapter with the hose clip fitted (red)
    Tim
    Frits told us about the trombone, I have simulated it for my 125 and Tim has shown that for his 50, shortening the header dynamically by only 20mm could be beneficial.

Tim, it will be interesting to see where you can get to by developing the porting on the standard cylinder.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Does it make 20hp???
    funnily enough no.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    "The MHR Replica 50cc Racing cylinder is the little brother of the 80 MHR variant. The Strongest what Malossi has to offer in the 50's displacement class. 6 transfer and three outlet ports make for enormous gas cylinder change procedures and make this an absolute weapon in the 50cc range"

I still think buying a complete aftermarket cylinder is a grey area. meh. Its not in the. . .damn, almost tricked me into saying it.

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Does it make 20hp???
    daves one was always 80cc

Thread Information