Page 833 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 33373378382383183283383483584388393313331833 ... LastLast
Results 12,481 to 12,495 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    TeeZee your posts have got me interested in reading the Pit-Lane thread.

http://www.pit-lane.biz/t3173-gp125-...vermars-part-2

Frits
    I prefer not to talk about a stinger because that would imply a tube of some length. And length is not the issue here; the issue is flow resistance and diameters are far more decisive than lengths in that respect. Therefore I always apply a venturi as the flow-controlling element at the end of the reflector cone. It can be made exchangeable which allows experiments, and because the flow is controlled by the venturi, it allows for a tailpipe with a much larger diameter that is less susceptible to dents and deposit build-up. It also allows for a longer tailpipe in case you need to move a silencer out of the way.

You may be wondering about waves running up and down the tailpipe. Don't. Those waves will never be able to influence the events in the exhaust pipe because the flow through a correctly dimensioned venturi is sonic. Those waves are like birds flying against a storm: they will lose all their energy but they will never make any progress.

Your experience is correct: more flow restriction causes a higher average pressure in the exhaust pipe, hence less expansion and a higher average temperature of the gas in the pipe, and hence a higher speed of sound and a higher resonance rpm. And if you create too much flow restriction, the exhaust gases in the cylinder will not completely have left the building by the time the transfer ports open; they will enter the transfer ducts and that flow of hot gases will severely heat up the cylinder, the piston and the fresh mixture in the transfer ducts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fos_ex11.gif 
Views:	180 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	287048

The required flow restriction depends solely on the amount of generated exhaust gas, and that is directly proportional to the generated horsepower. I am almost certain that somewhere on this forum I already posted a simple exhaust concept that included the venturi calculation. But I can't find it through the search option (forum search options and I never seem to get along) so here it is once more, together with a sketch of the exchangeable venturi (red in the sketch).

Name:	tailbu10.gif 
Views:	1012 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	287047

Brian, you are right about the flow restriction influencing the mixture strength of the MB40 model aero engine. For those of you who are less familiar with it: these model airplanes keep their fuel in a bladder. That bladder is contained in a tank, and the exhaust pipe pressure is fed to that tank. The pipe pressure tries to squeeze the bladder and the fuel is pushed to the inlet port via a regulator needle. But since the needle setting is optimized for each flight anyway, it doesn't matter if the fuel pressure is not always the same.

The cross-over connecting tube is connected to both inlet tracts between the carb and the reed valve, so the reeds will make sure that one crankcase cannot steal directly from its neighbour. What it can do, is steal some of the ram pressure that occurs at the end of each inlet phase. On the other hand, breathing will become much easier for each crankcase because the combined cross-area of both carbs is always available.
    Air flow through each carb will become more uniform, so the suction signal at the carb's needle tube will be weaker. That means the mixture will become leaner unless you compensate with larger jetting. Did you work in that direction?

Jan Thiel
    Temperatures at the exhaust flange were usually between 500 and 600°C if I remember well after 4,5 years!
    Mid-exhaust temperatures were not taken,but I think they are higher.
    The temperature sensor in the exhaust flange might have been cooled a little by escaping fresh charge!
    We sometimes measured under-spark plug temperatures, they proved too high so we modified the head insert,
    bringing the water nearer to the plug. This was very succesful, afterwards we never bothered with the sparkplug temperature anymore!

Some time ago engines mostly breathed air warmed by the radiator.
    And do'nt forget the exhaust pipes!
    Inside the fairing they heated the air quite a lot.
    Putting them outside the fairing you lost revs.
    The best solution was outside the fairing, but shielded from the airstream.
    A friend of mine once tested his MBA 125 on a dyno. With and without fairing.
    With fairing he lost 7HP!
    So when I once had the opportunity of wind tunnel testing we looked at this.
    There proved to be a quite big depression at the carburetors, at a wind speed of 120km/h.
    This depression would of course have been even bigger had the engine been running!
    The airbox resolved all these problems.
    The bigger the better I heard at Aprilia!
    Mostly there is not enough room at the bike however!

On the Aprila RSW the airbox was fitted on the spigot, of course with the air vents inside it.
    On the RSA the carburetor was totally enclosed inside the airbox.
    I would have liked to test with a ventilator giving real airspeed, but was told it to be too expensive.
    Approximately 40.000 Euro!
    You need a real big ventilator to simulate 240 km/h!
    And of course it should have simulated airspeed going through the gears!
    Then we could have mapped the ECU for all gears!
    It proved to be cheaper to do this on-track and using telemetry.

When EGT goes up and up there should be some serious problem with the engine.
    We never had pistons seize during our steady state tests.
    Working on the dyno continuously 5 days a week!
    I am 100% convinced our engine could have run for 6 hours at max power without seizing.
    The problems arise when you close the throttle, or run part throttle!
    The piston is mainly cooled by the transfer flow.
    And at part throttle there is less transfer flow, causing detonation (auto ignition)
    The entering fresh charge is ignited by the remaining, hot, burned gases!
    You can see very severe damage to the piston after maybe 10 seconds at 20% throttle.
    This still is an unresolved problem! I was thinking about a way to reduce engine power without closing the throttle. But how can you do this? I did not find a solution before I retired.
    And nobody else was really interested.
    At 100% throttle the engine was undestructible!
    By making the transfer ports as wide as possible we had very good piston cooling.

As Frits has written, I would have liked to have also a dynamic testing possibility, with a flywheel.
    In my opinion you should simulate a straight, starting at around 10.000 rpm, and shift through the gears
    until you reach top speed. And with the airbox as used on the bike, with a ventilator that simulates the raising
    air speed as it would be on track! Maybe it is interesting to know that without a ventilator the engine gave
    less power with the airbox fitted.

I was told that such a testing system was too expensive.
    And unnecessary as we won anyway!

I can also see a disadvantage of 'dynamic' testing.
    Because the duration of the test is so short you can get away with very extreme (too extreme?) settings,
    without damage.

Mic
    How about much larger travel on the exhaust power valve.

Jan Thiel
    This causes detonation (auto ignition)
    The problem is that the burned gases do not exit the cilinder!
    Retarding ignition also does not make sense.
    As you have an AUTO-inition problem!
    So the engine does not 'listen' to its ECU anymore!
    What you would need is the same fresh gas flow, but with less HP!
    Not easy to achieve!
    A variable tailpipe might help.

Frits
    Like Jan wrote, a shorter exhaust duration will worsen the detonation. What happens is this:
    During normal operation, the blowdown time.area of the exhaust ports is sufficient to drop the cylinder pressure below the crankcase pressure before the transfer ports open, even at high rpm.
    At part-throttle that cylinder pressure will drop to the same level, but now the crankcase pressure is much lower and exhaust gases will enter the transfer ducts, contaminating and heating the fresh mixture even before it enters the cylinder.
    A theoretical solution would be a power valve that enlarges the normal exhaust timing instead of lowering it. But that is impractical as it would ruin the shape of the exhaust duct and it would cause cooling problems in the cylinder's exhaust area.
    A variable tailpipe area, like Jan says, can be a more practical approach. I designed a simple solution, shown in the drawing below, but then two-stroke development at Aprilia was terminated because of Dorna's ban on two-strokes.

Name:	moving10.png 
Views:	293 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	287050

Jan Thiel
    This could very well have been the solution.

Frits
    As Jan pointed out, once you have auto-ignition, the engine does not listen to its ECU any more. So you would have to start skipping sparks well before the onset of detonation.
    In a foul-stroke your proposed system does work, but a two-stroke would react far from linear. For example, if you skip 1 in 4 sparks, you will loose much more than 25% of engine power because that one missing spark will cause the gasdynamics processes to collapse. The main problem would be to realize a smooth transition from intermittent to full ignition.

Bike
    husaberg
    Mcbeth.........
    http://www.mororacing.com/documenti_...?iddocumento=2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iniezionediretta_motocross.pdf  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Took the EFI YZ out for another trail ride, 20% fuel savings this time over my standard YZ. It depends on the type of riding, the closer to full throttle the less the savings. This was a tighter track, Tarawera. Last time out it was measured at 14%, Epic events fast and open. Thought it was interesting.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Took the EFI YZ out for another trail ride, 20% fuel savings this time over my standard YZ. It depends on the type of riding, the closer to full throttle the less the savings. This was a tighter track, Tarawera. Last time out it was measured at 14%, Epic events fast and open. Thought it was interesting.
    Thats very impressive and in line with Husabergs post. With this sort of improvement you would have to think 2-T's will make a comeback and have a bright future.

Below is Google Translates best efforts with Husa's post.

In the face of the patent dated December 2004 , in 2005 I took a bit ' to heart . We began to work with the various motors , 50, 100 , 125 and 250 also have to cross a range of different types to understand in various applications as it was going to require, if there was homogeneity of technical result between the various engines or not. In the end it turns out that in broad terms the benefit is the same on all engines , from fifty to 250 cross there was always a 40% consumption less, 60 % less HC and CO with respect to the carburetor ; engines that were marked 70 % less but the minimum was always 60 % and 40-50%. With the great advantage that the two-stroke engine layout is not as had to be changed , the system could and should be applied on engines already in circulation, there is probably a need to update the mergers ( and maybe cylinder head ) but it is very different at the project level and constructively address such issues as the pressures 4T of the internal gas or the need of the distribution system, the two-stroke remains in all respects " our beloved two-stroke " , there are in more of a pump oil (preferably electric ) and a fuel , the whole , however, also works on batteryless mode , without battery , because the supply pressure is slightly higher compared to an indirect 4T .

With the electronically controlled oil pump can give quantitative of lubricant right at any time with the result in statistical terms of an average consumption of less than 1 % , very lower than consumed today by a fifty (as well say that the quantity of oil engine series is far too high ). The oil for the lubrication is sent as in engines with mixer
    a nozzle upstream of the slats. Technically, the solution is very nice because with the electric pump can send oil according to the real conditions of work , you can consider all the parameters and decide accordingly .

Another advantage of the system is the CCID internal and external cleaning of the head. The injector in the rear of the cylinder shoots against the roof of the combustion chamber which remains "clean" , then is cleanliness in the sense of accessibility mechanics , you have nothing lìoltre the candle so the maintenance Typical Fast the racing keeps the speed of the motor current . Obviously with the injector on the cylinder some complication with respect to a cylinder present there , but it is more than acceptable. The idea: to inject from bottom to top.

Now I want to discuss the idea of the patent. The direct injection is proposed by definition to send fuel in the combustion chamber , as it is easily imaginable with an injector placed coarsely beside the candle ; the common idea at that point is to inject a drain that is closed during the ascent of the piston for the maximum time allowed by the geometry of the motor and fairly high pressure necessary to throw gasoline little time in the environment already under pressure. Moreover it should be noted that systems with the injector over head to clutter in the area candle, fire station against the sky piston which is the hottest area of the entire combustion chamber , and I think this does not go so well because gasoline goes to evaporate in a non- controllable.

Nino in the system , the concept is different , the injector shoots from below the upwards towards a certain area of the head ; the mixture exits the unloading, even if it is open , and if a little ' air pumped by decanting maybe comes out , it should be well and good , cleans the gas . The timing of work is uncoupled from the geometry of the engine. apparently seem to lose time on the possible length injection because I lose the ability to inject when the piston is in the vicinity of the upper dead point , in reality the possibilities Splash in open drain proposes the reverse situation , times lengthened . The injector on the head as a system has to deal as the limit with the position of the piston , the injection that shoots from below against the head offers injection times doubled because the path for fuel to get to the discharge would be double , goes against the head and bounces towards the piston.

Throttle body : is not essential If you noticed at the main picture you may have noticed that there is no body throttle , just a suction cone . This system is in fact was initially developed to work without a valve, with air Suction always open ( controlled slat ) as with the gas ideally 100 % . In this configuration acts a bit ' as the Diesel engine , the performance is controlled by the amount of fuel dosed by the injector as a faucet: because the air flow remains constant , is the fuel to determine the ascent or descent
    speed. Nothing guillotine or butterfly to control the passage air but only a " fuel cock " managed by the control unit on basic information of the gas sensor . It ' a system that works well, there is a lot of air under the piston to cool the crank species in closing of gas , the operating temperature detected during the tests was always less high in comparison to the solution with air control . The braking effect on the brakes is there anyway , depends to 95% on the compression ratio and combustion .

The CCID version without throttle body is particularly suitable I think the racing where the engine can be "open" . It has a "Small" problem, there is an intake noise higher than
    the presence of the throttle body that among other things reflects the noise. So where there is a need to respond to homologation requirements with evidence around at idle , you should put a system choking air that helps in those situations. depends by motor and engine , is so average and we had experimental verification. Ready for the market
    I close the presentation of Direct Injection -fuel Combustion Control reporting that after doing all the various tests we mounted on a motor Minarelli enduro 50 cc. developed in mechanics to reach nearly 13 horses and at 14,000 rpm . Once more we have seen that the performance is similar to the carburetor , with the same benefits in terms of consumption and pollutants reported before , ready to try to demonstrate the effectiveness of all the work. We did it first without and then with the throttle body body throttle because of the noise in the intake system with batteryless ( power generator from the original) because it seemed to us just to prove that it works fine without a battery.

In the face of all this I would say that today there is on the market a solution patented technique applicable to all engines two times useful to arrive with the pollutants more or less at the level of the four- time of performance (ie that all engines are not the same ) , obviously it is not correct to compare a 250 with a 250 2T 4T and compare the performance when the pollutants are different. We put the system on engines as well as hang-gliding and other search engines finding the same benefits , so for the future of the news is that there is the possibility for the two times to be competitive in the years to come with 4-stroke engine while keeping all advantages that very constructive know it. Then there is no possibility for the market to go back to how was once with the two-stroke in the foreground , then each Manufacturers may choose to develop it and use it specifically . Because today , we could get there first? I would have liked to get two or three years ago but the time in these activities is hardly controllable. Today there is the need, the components industry has made available what is necessary to build the facility , twenty years ago there were no such injectors righteous and right sensors , Now with the development of 4T injection has become easier to make a certain type of plant on the two times , and if observed , for example the pattern of patent drafted in 2004 you can see that injector and headquarters occupy a certain space on our prototype engines went drastically reduced.

State of the art If it is true that this direct injection could go in series as components in the morning , it is equally clear that a fifty Today the injection is not essential , to meet Euro 2 can be achieved with the carburetor with the current state of affairs do not need any change, but with the future introduction the new standards , sooner or later, this need will be there. On the other displacements of 125 and we are already at Euro3, and here some models pass with difficulty with electronically assisted carburetor , the 4T same way as you can imagine with this handle with facility performance for fun on the track and switching to mode code to return home. MANAGEMENT INJECTION 4T
    ON MECCANICA2T I thought during the development that the development point would have been criticism , there is a problem "Sensitivity" of each the new engine technical solutions , instead despite combustion lasts less compared to a four- times and the ratio of actual compression is less high ( better if it is high) , I have not seen critical in behavior between engine and motor to vary environmental conditions and applications. I think this is positive because if a engine is very sensitive you're always playing catch up optimal tuning : Today when I say that the consumption is less than 40 % , I say the worst figure that are sure to find even in conditions less favorable. The oil is mixed with the air in the duct suction . Given the presence of various sensors , it needs to be an oil quality , which lubricate and it burns without leaving deposits. with consumption we are not far from the blow-by of the four-stroke : when we say that the 4T do not consume oil make a statement incorrect , the smoke at the discharge is more or less marked , and even if there is a certain amount of oil goes away for unloading . With careful management the discharge of oil can be obtained with the 2T results neighbours.

Thanks to ... Throughout the development activities have always been followed by engineer Henry Nino with his staff and the work of the workshop was executed by Franco Moro Moro Racing , after which the patent at the end of 2010 it was purchased by Athena that with Get Benedini was led by Antonio development partners electronically.
    Each of us has had I think its satisfactions . Henry Nino , head of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Potenza and his staff has been
    glad that I was interested in him and his system has seen in a very interesting idea , especially for high-performance engines , for my part I think I gave the impetus
    decisive to achieve a certain result and now I can use the patent for racing ; Athena in turn is placed in a home where we're going to make use of technology in
    years. At the moment, out of the two-wheeler sector , in the absence of specific regulations for use The use of this injection is linked to the costs and hence the delta of carburetor is in line with the four-stroke , renounce the carburetor but serve the fuel pump , control unit, various sensors etc . , plus here is the oil pump . We should not expect lower spreads compared to what we have already seen with the four times but on balance will remain the mechanical advantage of the two-stroke than a 4-stroke is certainly not cheap.

Bike

Name:	First EFI test 003.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	287148

The wiring is a bit of a rats nest and with its fuel header tank the poor thing looks like its on life support but it has passed its first EFI test. I connected in the plumbing and fuel pump and turned it on, and there were no fuel leaks. So onto the dyno when we get a chance to see if we can get the Beast started.

Bike
    98 Honda NS1, others...
    I have a question about plug to piston top distance.

I had measured the 125 head and domes I got for domed pistons, two hemi head's with 0.7 squish would have about 8.7 distance from plug to piston dome top. But the domes I got have more volume and they would make 10.3 mm of distance, toroidal head's have a lower distance and I have one stock toroidal Honda RS 125 head but my bike does'nt seem to like it with the domed piston.

Aprilia RSA head drawing show a 7,6mm distance.

Is there an optimun for this distance? I understand that the volume and squish width needed would play with the distance, or even it can be corrected with proper ignition.

fast 125 engines running unleaded run low compressions, how much is the distance in them?

Is there any good baseline for this?

Thanks

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That's a good question, what I can tell you is if you get too close (which on a 50 is easier) it shrouds the spark with a conventional plug & a side ground to electrode racing plug opens the spark area up helping greatly. But yer probably not running a B8ES in it anyway
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike

Name:	NeedKellys 50 002.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	287185

Not mine, not Dave D's not Av's (but there are plans) but another soon to be out there Auckland 50, so who's could it be?

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Gotta love Toots' safety boots

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Gotta love Toots' safety boots
    Yep ... Steel Cap Jandals. Grandma OSH would have a fit ....

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well the pic sez Ned Kelly. GPR50 from the looks. Dave Ds old Techo mags at a guess too.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well the pic sez Ned Kelly. GPR50 from the looks. Dave Ds old Techo mags at a guess too.
    Yes Neds ... and No the wheels are original to the bike. First start up tonight, serious dyno time Thursday and then hopefully Mt Wellington at the next meeting.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Good Greif my poor old 1985 Suzuki is going to be obsolete one of these days with all these new fangled engines.

Bike
    Norton Manx
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Good Greif my poor old 1985 Suzuki is going to be obsolete one of these days with all these new fangled engines.
    Maybe not, well not an orphan anyway as I hear Chambers might be making a RS/RG50 combo for Av.

Name:	sykes, rossi, marques and Av 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	287196

Originally posted by Cotswald, Av riding in Italy top right corner, her bike (A1 ???) has the white faring.
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Bike
    TZ400
    I read the extract above from Pit Lane and one comment I am at odds with.
    Disagreeing with Frits in public is fraught with danger but in this case I feel something needs more input from those cleverer than I
    "You may be wondering about waves running up and down the tailpipe. Don't. Those waves will never be able to influence the events in the exhaust
    pipe because the flow through a correctly dimensioned venturi is sonic. Those waves are like birds flying against a storm: they will lose all their energy but they will never make any progress."
    This seems wrong to me so I checked the stinger flow conditions in several engines that could be considered to be successful in that they made serious power and were reliable.
    All of the results showed fow in the venturi after the rear cone to be just short of sonic.
    If sonic conditions prevailed than the flow would be termed to be choked, and a shock wave would form,creating havoc with the pressure conditions in the pipe - ie death deto.

The statement also seems at odds with what I have been working with in KZ2 kart engines.
    These 125 engines have a U bend stinger dumping into a large muffler.
    Two mufflers are available, one with the muffler perf a couple of mm bigger than the stinger ID, the other around 50mm ID.
    The larger muffler would in effect create the conditions at the stinger end replicating dumping into atmosphere.
    It also happens to add around 6 Hp at 14000 - so if the wave action within the stinger due to its length is having no effect, then what is causing this.
    It certainly isnt the small muffler simply affecting the pressure in the pipe due to a flow restriction.
    The length appears critical, so i am going to try adding length to the stinger inside the big muffler to see what happens ( this isnt a tech item by the way, and yes I put a venturi inside the stock stinger as well ).

When I found out about stinger venturi from the inventor - Helmut Fath, my 2T hero, he said they ameliorated the differing return wave effects on the pipe action due to having one long stinger and one short one.
    This was an early version of Honda's RS250 that had one stinger 450 long the other 150 long.
    What he thought may not in fact be true, but creating equal pressure in the pipes by using a venturi would be a plus, and just maybe the return wave action is reduced by the restriction as well.

Below is a plot of Mach number due to having the flow conditions checked by the simulator within a " correctly designed " stinger venturi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nozzle Mach Check.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	287197  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Thread Information