Page 1161 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 1616611061111111511159116011611162116311711211126116612161 ... LastLast
Results 17,401 to 17,415 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Sorry to interrupt the really interesting speak on the KR and triples.
    Rob, you might be interested in this little 50.

http://www.motociclismo.es/pruebas/o...c_location=ufi

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Sorry to interrupt the really interesting speak on the KR and triples.
    Rob, you might be interested in this little 50.

http://www.motociclismo.es/pruebas/o...c_location=ufi

There are so many spelling mistakes in that article its almost unreadable
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET

New 300 stuff

I have all the bits to give the 300 a freshen up now.

New ported barrels, new reeds and pistons. Still lots to do with prepping barrels and pistons with duct radius etc. The bike should be all back up and running on saturday though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160415_0201.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	630.8 KB 
ID:	310821

Bike
    husaberg
    A slower MV3 with Ago beat a much more powerful 500 Four Honda as it would actually go around corners. Even Hailwood could not make up for that.

Name:	78555430.xKJ5mRoR.L1000746.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	310825 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iom-tt-zero-2013-47.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	310828
    The battle in the 500 cc class is between Hailwood and Giacomo Agostini with the MV. Hailwood complains, that he has to fight two opponents: Ago and his Honda, which, although it has a superb engine, has very bad road holding. At the end of the season, both riders have the same number of points and both have 5 wins; Hailwood has two second placings, but Agostini has three seconds and so becomes world champion
    In the 250's Ossa single cylinder nearly took the crown from Yamaha's 250 V4 disk valve

Name:	fe23dfdc1b4dea3a68ea4a7f552cfb34.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	310826 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1968-250%20RD05A.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	310827
    Ossa 250 GP bike with monocoque. In 1969 they came third in the GP world championship, the small Spanish outfit even beating the all conquering V4 Yamahas on three occasions. They lead the championship in 1970 until, at the Isle of Man TT (which in those days was a key round in the championship) their rider, Santiago Herrero, was killed in a crash. Ossa withdrew from racing forever
    1963 Morini nearly did the same with singles when the Honda 250 fours ruled the tracks.

Name:	250_foto17.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	310829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2rc146-2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	310830
    Provini signed to race for the Moto Morini factory. In 1963 he waged a season-long battle with Honda's Jim Redman for the 250 world championship. Each rider won four races and the title wasn't decided until the final race in Japan, with Redman winning the championship over Provini by two points
    Top speed is only achieved maybe once in a race (for a very short period of time at that) yet there are many corners to brake into, accelerate out of and go around.
    Paraphrased Jerry Burgess. The man behind Doohan and Rossi for most of their success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RGV
    What's happened to Jerry Burgess?

Retired, and now sipping peña colorada on a sun terrace back in Oz ?

Or starring in the latest Mission Impossible film wearing a Ducati Corse shirt ?

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    http://www.motociclismo.es/pruebas/off-road/articulo/yasuni-50-proto-automatico?hc_location=ufi

There are so many spelling mistakes in that article its almost unreadable
    Those spelling mistakes have a name. It's called Spanish. It's a language. Like English. ¿Comprende?

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    A slower MV3 with Ago beat a much more powerful 500 Four Honda as it would actually go around corners. Even Hailwood could make up for that. In the 250's Ossa nearly took the crown from Yamaha Morini nearly did the same with singles when the fours ruled the tracks.
    Top speed is only achieved maybe once in a race (for a very short period of time at that) yet there are many corners to brake into, accelerate out of and go around.
    Paraphrased Jerry Burgess. The man behind Doohan and Rossi for most of their success.
    Racing is not about being fast. It is about not being slow anywhere. Handling is everything. (but power won't hurt, provided it's controllable).

Bike
    none
    In the 250's Ossa single cylinder nearly took the crown from Yamaha's 250 V4 disk valve.
    In 1969 they came third in the GP world championship, the small Spanish outfit even beating the all conquering V4 Yamahas on three occasions.
    Been there, didn't see that. To my knowledge the Ossa 250 never entered the GP-arena against the Yamaha works V-fours. Maybe because Yamaha withdrew the V-fours at the end of 1968, hm?
    In 1969 Ossa rider Santiago Herrero battled with Yamaha works riders Rodney Gould and Kent Andersson on Yamaha twins, and with Kel Carruthers and Renzo Pasolini on Benelli fours. It was a great season: two screaming two-stroke twins, two howling four-stroke fours and the Ossa single that looked and sounded like a moped by comparison, but often showed its competitors the way, even on ultra-fast tracks like Francorchamps. Been there, did see that.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Been there, didn't see that. To my knowledge the Ossa 250 never entered the GP-arena against the Yamaha works V-fours. Maybe because Yamaha withdrew the V-fours at the end of 1968, hm?
    In 1969 Ossa rider Santiago Herrero battled with Yamaha works riders Rodney Gould and Kent Andersson on Yamaha twins, and with Kel Carruthers and Renzo Pasolini on Benelli fours. It was a great season: two screaming two-stroke twins, two howling four-stroke fours and the Ossa single that looked and sounded like a moped by comparison, but often showed its competitors the way, even on ultra-fast tracks like Francorchamps. Been there, did see that.
    I did wonder why I couldn't get a pic of a 1969 250 V4 that would likely be why lol.
    But he did get a third two fifths and a sixth in 1968 on the OSSA. Well according to the Net anyway. Not so sure weather it was a monocoque then though.
    My parents might were at least married by then though even though I was a fair few years away from being conceived.
    Herrero friendly manner, super talent and mechanical skills made him an attractive proposition to the OSSA factory and Giró offered him a job developing the OSSA 250cc race bike.

He worked harmoniously and effectively with Eduardo Giró on the development of the OSSA monocoque, which featured a 6 speed rotary valve engine and together they began to surprise the motorcycling world. On the OSSA 230 cc bike with no fairing and 30 HP, they won 250cc Spanish Championship in 1967.

The combination promised to be highly competitive, so for 1968 they stepped up to 250cc Grand Prix racing.

Although the single cylinder Ossa had 20 HP less than the powerful V4 Yamahas of Phil Read and Bill Ivy, the OSSA was a massive 20kg lighter and its monocoque frame was much stiffer, giving it superior cornering and braking ability. The Yamaha’s swept the championship but, Herrero left the GP paddock in no doubt that the little OSSA was quick and dependable. He finished seventh in the championship and claimed a third place in the final race of the season at Monza. He would once again take the 250cc Spanish National Championship.
    http://www.motorsportretro.com/2010/...favourite-son/

In 1968, he would move up to compete in the 250cc Grand Prix world championship. Although the single cylinder Ossa had 20 horsepower (15 kW) less than the powerful V4 Yamahas of Phil Read and Bill Ivy, the Ossa was 45 pounds (20 kg) lighter and its monocoque frame was much stiffer, giving it superior agility.[2] The Yamahas swept the championship, but Herrero left no doubt that the little Ossa was quick and dependable. He finished seventh in the championship and claimed a third place in the final race of the season at Monza.[1] He would once again take the 250cc Spanish National Championship.

1969 would be a big year for Herrero. He began the year winning his first grand prix at the opening race of the season in front of his countrymen at Jarama.[1] After retiring from the German Grand Prix with mechanical problems, he returned with a victory at Le Mans.[1] He followed this with third place at the Isle of Man TT, a considerable accomplishment considering his horsepower deficit on the infamous Snaefell Mountain Course.[1] He triumphed again at Spa and was leading the championship points race when he was beset by bad luck.[1] He crashed in the rain at the Ulster Grand Prix and suffered a broken left arm.[2] Most observers considered his championship hopes dashed, but Herrero showed true grit by coming back to finish in a remarkable fifth place at Imola.[2] At last race of the season in Yugoslavia, he held a one point lead in the championship. He started the race in the lead but crashed on the seventh lap, ending his championship hopes.[2] He would finish third in the world championship.[1] He repeated as Spanish 250cc champion for a third consecutive year
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Herrero

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Gr..._racing_season
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    But he did get a third two fifths and a sixth in 1968 on the OSSA.
    In 68 the bike suffered from reliability issues. In 69 it had 42hp, weighed under 100kg and had a top speed of over 140mph. Not bad for a single cylinder air cooled engine! Plus it had that classic fat rotary valve power delivery, it supposedly pulled hard from 6500 to 11000rpm!. At Spa-Francorchamps Herreros average speed of 188.74kph was faster than the 500cc class runner up!
    This was a wonderful machine and was in part the inspiration behind my air cooled rotary valve racer, now if only I could fit a comparably huge head into my chassis

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    In 68 the bike suffered from reliability issues. In 69 it had 42hp, weighed under 100kg and had a top speed of over 140mph. Not bad for a single cylinder air cooled engine! Plus it had that classic fat rotary valve power delivery, it supposedly pulled hard from 6500 to 11000rpm!. At Spa-Francorchamps Herreros average speed of 118.74kph was faster than the 500cc class runner up!
    This was a wonderful machine and was in part the inspiration behind my air cooled rotary valve racer, now if only I could fit a comparably huge head into my chassis
    You use an RS chassis I think ? Cast up your head, slightly over size with very large end pieces. machine it to fit into the frame tightly and bolt it to the frame...voila, you're using the frame mass as a heat sink and additional area....

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    I know you guys are rule driven in terms of being specifically air cooled for F4, but has anyone tried blowing air thru a watercooled engine? I know the specific heat of air is a ¼ of water and that its thermal conductivity is far, far less, but the one thing going for it is that the volumetric flow rate is far greater, given a decent blower, and you may get the benefit of a later model engine with its better port arrangement. Also, the total effective volumetric air flow rate could be much higher than air wafting thru the fairing, plus you would be cooling closer to the heat source rather than at the end of the fins. And of course, no water leaks.
    Maybe just a product of the too many top quality Australian beers I guess. Just can't wait for the response to this though

Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I don't know about NZ-beer (yet). I hope it isn't anything like Aussie beer; I tried that and it was like making love in a canoe: f*cking close to water
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    I know you guys are rule driven in terms of being specifically air cooled for F4, but has anyone tried blowing air thru a watercooled engine?
    Or just fill it with paraffin. Which should be legal as long as it remains solid, no?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Or just fill it with paraffin. Which should be legal as long as it remains solid, no?
    I suggested that about 4 years ago.
    have a look here http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110772/printArticle.html
    IT would/could also be a very trick alternative to water cooling a barrel in combo with a water cooled head on a 100cc.

This site is one of the best resoures for all sorts of real interesting stuff.

Another thing to consider is an Marine oil cooler as an intercooler.

http://autospeed.co.nz/cms/title_The..../article.html

'Performal'
    What is happening is that the Performal is melting - it is changing from a solid to a liquid at 50 degrees. And when it undergoes that change in state, it can absorb lots of energy without altering in temperature. Instead of heating the material up, the energy from the stove is being used to separate the material's molecular bonds.

Until all of the Performal has changed from a solid to a liquid, its temperature will not change. That's what the above graph shows - and you can see that the temp is being held constant, even though we're continuing to pour in the heat energy from the stove. It's only when the Performal has completely melted that its temp will start to rise again - and then the rate of temp increase will be dependent on the specific heat of Performal in liquid form, which might be different to its specific heat in solid form.

"Performal"?

The potential on the right car is huge: but what actually is bloody "Performal"? Time to let you into a secret - and some of you may have already guessed. "Performal" doesn't exist but a substance with very similar characteristics is commonly available. It is called paraffin wax, and is sold for use in making candles. Specifically, its typical characteristics are:
    •Melting point: 52 degrees C
    •Specific heat: 3.27 kJ per kg per degree C
    •Specific heat of fusion: 210 kJ/kg

So to increase the temp of 1kg of the wax from 47 to 52 degrees takes 16.35kJ, but to push it past 52 degrees takes nearly 13 times as much energy. (Or, to risk causing confusion, you could dissipate in it a power of 14kW for 15 seconds to melt 1kg.)

Paraffin wax is non-toxic, doesn't explode (although it will catch fire if you expose it to a naked flame) and is easily handled. Special waxes designed specifically for this change-of-state heat storage purpose are also available with melting points in 10-degree C increments from 50 degrees to 100 degrees C, however their availability is obviously less than simple candle wax.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...ooler&A=110772

Abstract

Mesophase pitch based graphite foams (GFs) with different thermal properties and pore-size were used to increase the thermal diffusivity of phase change material (PCM), paraffin wax, for latent heat thermal energy storage application. To predict the performance of the Paraffin-GFs as a thermal energy storage system, their structure, thermal diffusivity and latent heat were characterized. Results indicated that thermal diffusivity of the Paraffin-GF can be enhanced 190, 270, 500, and 570 times as compared with that of pure paraffin wax. Latent heat of Paraffin-GF systems increased with the increasing of the mass ratio of the paraffin wax in the composite. Moreover, pore-size and thickness of ligaments of the foam played a key role in improving the thermal diffusivity and the storage capacity of the Paraffin-GF system: small pore-size (less paraffin wax were filled) and thicker ligament in GF resulted in a higher thermal diffusivity; large pore-size (less paraffin wax were filled) and thinner ligament in GF resulted in a larger latent heat.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...27024810000474
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I suggested that about 4 years ago.
    So you did mate. Did anyone ever do the sums to see how much would be required to deal with the waste heat energy involved in an average bucket race? Wouldn't surprise me if just a couple of litres would do the job. Getting the bloody stuff cooled in time for the next race might be interesting.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information