Page 1469 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 4699691369141914591467146814691470147114791519156919692469 ... LastLast
Results 22,021 to 22,035 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried dirty big torque plates? Will suck heat out till they warm up. Erm, citation needed as they say on wiki. Let's see if I can repost an old pic using the tablet.

Ahh crap, didnt work. - big chunks of steel bolted top and bottom of barrel clamping together. Might help integrity.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    variety
    I use clamping fixtures when ever possible as they help hold its shape and can provide some what of a heat sink but its not always possible to use such fixtures. I think this weekend ill give the pulse a try as ive heard quit a few times that it can help with distortion.

welded some alloy bungs not long ago and they ended up like eggs afterwards . I think what I did wrong is I tried to weld continuously around the circumference. what I probly should of done was put four tack welds at 3-6-9-12 oclock positions then just weld alittle at a time . going from 12 to 6 to 3 to 9 if that makes sense. then maybe the pulling force from each side of the bung would be more evened out

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    This has got to be one of the best threads about engines. There have been some really good thought provoking conversations.
    There have also been some of the dumbest shit posted as well. But lucky for me, I can ignore that stuff and then concentrate on the
    good oil that is being freely shared by so many.
    Photo's and other things that are posted are just as valuable as someone's insight to some theory that could be the difference in winning
    or being an also ran.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by peewee View Post
    hey wob I did a bunch of welding recently and wondered if you've found a way to keep distortion to a very minimum ? my machine has pulse function but I haven't bothered to try it yet but I wonder if that may help. ive put items in the oven after I was done welding so they didn't cool rapidly but I cant say for sure if this helped or not. also I heard pinging the weld with a small hammer could help but I haven't tried it yet
    You can get good results by 'pulsing' the pedal (I am assuming you are tig welding). If done correctly your weld will look like a stack of pennys pushed over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8020007.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	319485  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I probably qualified as at least equal smartest guy on page 1 of this threat. Think I've been relegated to dumbshit by now, but we're all enjoying where this goes.

Bike
    TZ400
    Pulsed TIG will do nothing much to help distortion.
    What it does do is allow you to use a higher base amperage to speed up the M/min welding rate and not create holes or
    a big lumpy mess on the inside of a pipe for example.
    The jump in amps allows you to move quickly, then the amps drop off, stopping the weld pool from getting to large.
    It creates the scallop effect without you having to pulse the pedal, or move the tungsten back and forth to make a "pattern ", that looks nice.
    Cold wire over TIG is by far the best method to weld thin sheet, but is idiotically expensive, and takes alot of slow practice to master.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I probably qualified as at least equal smartest guy on page 1 of this threat. Think I've been relegated to dumbshit by now, but we're all enjoying where this goes.
    Agreed. Feel like a 12 year old when reading some of these posts haha. However, I feel like after reading this thread more times than I'm embarrassed to say, I feel like I have a really strong theoretical knowledge of race 2 strokes. But I have stuff all practical modifying experience so far. Hoping my RSGP125 bucket will teach me more practically. For now I'm just hyped to be a part of one of the best lectures on tuning on the internet!

As one of the many side discussions going on in this thread:
    Suggestions on a very good base motor for a freetech 50 bike? The Derbi 50 and AM6 are common but there has to be better alternatives?
    50cc, 6 gears, unleaded fuel, no super to turbos, pretty simple rules really. Maybe a MX engine?
    Frits, Wob any suggestions?

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    Peewee, you asked about peening the bead (you wrote "pinging" but I assume you meant what I know as peening), and yeah, that's always a stress reliever (though it is unlikely to remove visible distortion). The metallurgists say you want to mostly concentrate on the outer edges of the bead, more than the center of it. There's a device called a needle-scaler, usually air-powered though sometimes electric, which is ordinarily used mainly for fast removal of slag during stick-welding. But if you take the needles out and round off their working ends, the tool then becomes good for bead-peening.

You're right about sequencing the weld, and dividing the circle into four (eight, if there's room) segments and welding them criss-cross fashion, another technique worked out long ago by the metallurgists.

You're having a blast with that new TIG machine; cool!!!! I can't say anything from personal experience about pulse and so forth, because my poor old transformer TIG welder pre-dates not only inverters but square-wave, too.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    threat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Suggestions on a very good base motor for a freetech 50 bike? The Derbi 50 and AM6 are common but there has to be better alternatives?
    50cc, 6 gears, unleaded fuel, no super to turbos, pretty simple rules really. Maybe a MX engine?
    Frits, Wob any suggestions?
    Newer Ktm sx50 has a great engine, probably expensive.

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    threat?
    A 1500 page long threat

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ahh shit, hp tiblet spill chucker.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by adegnes View Post
    A 1500 page long threat
    There is quite a few around, they will be cheaper here when they bring in a new updated design. The SX50 cylinders bolt on to KTM65 bottom end giving you a triple port case reed in a modern configuration. The Std KTM50SX is a slipper clutch one speed. (It would probably faster around a Kart kart as an slipper auto though)
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1996 Buell S1
    the combo getting a bit of a fan base in the UK freetech is KTM65 bottom end with KTM50 cylinder, lots of easy horsepower to be had.

Beaten by Husa as usual

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by cotswold View Post
    the combo getting a bit of a fan base in the UK freetech is KTM65 bottom end with KTM50 cylinder, lots of easy horsepower to be had.

Beaten by Husa as usual
    I forgot to add the earlier KTM50's 2002-2008 cylinders mount onto the corosponding earlier (BETA) engines KTM65 as well, there are plenty of them about as they are not the latest model anymore.
    They both have the neatest tiny sellectra ignition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM%2050%20Waterpump.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	319495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-Ktm-50-Sx-Ktm50-Ignition-Stator-Rotor-50sx-OEM (2).jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	319496
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information