Page 185 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 851351751831841851861871952352856851185 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 39428

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    In the picture showing installing the piston clips I notice the cutouts behind the transfer cutouts appear not at all symetrical, in fact not even similar. Is it the photo angle, an optical illusion, or some sort of 'trick' grind?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-New Motor Case Transfers.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	220251

I belive they have been playing around with flow benches and trying to get even flow across the piston
    also nothing is square in the gp engine the transfers are on an angle
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    There are basically two commonly utilised methods of stating a given engine's compression ratio:

The "Uncorrected Method" (sometimes referred to as the Geometric or European method)

The "Corrected Method" (sometimes referred to as the Trapped or Japanese method)

At elevated engine speeds (rpm), the piston is moving so quickly that it will actually "outrun" the fuel/air mixture to the "leak" and "trap" a much larger volume of fuel/air in the upper cylinder than just the static volume above the exhaust port. This "trapping efficiency" improves with more rpm's.
    And of course, when the bike is up on the pipe, the leak is being plugged (the 2-stroke supercharging effect) with a high pressure pulse from the expansion chamber.

So the final compression pressure is much higher than the "Corrected" compression ratio would suggest.

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Starting to really come together now

Name:	A-New Motor Piston Boost Port.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	220264

Increased size of the boost port, we could have covered the old gash port but decided we would try enlarging it and drawing from the crankcase and under the piston together.

Name:	A-New Motor Plenum Extension.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	220265

Plenum extension so the cover is not too close to the inlets bell-mouth.

Name:	A-New Motor Oil Suckeruperer.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	220268

Oil sucker. hopefully this will cure the oiling problem by sucking up the oil that collects at the bottom of the plenum.

Name:	A-New Motor Wrong Ring Gap.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	220266

Wrong ring gap, brand new piston kit, if we hadn't checked the ring gap (0.004" per inch of bore dia) we wouldn't have found that a std ring had been shipped with a 0.5 os Wiesco piston.

Name:	A-New Motor Inlet Tract View.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	748.3 KB 
ID:	220267

A view of the primary inlet tract from the plenum to the crankcase. This needs to be the correct length, or at least long enough, we found that if it was too short, we got a mid-range Blarrr problem.

There is a relationship between inside diameter, length and the inlet closing point that's important.

After retarding the inlet closing point without success to cure the mid-range Blarr problem, it was found that having the inlet too short for its ID was the real cause of the Blarrrs. Probably took TeeZee a couple of nights to figure it out, or at least the time it took to try several rotary valves with shorter timings.

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Copper Cooling Fins..........

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A- New Motor Ex Heat Sink.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	220275

Copper block placed so as to pick up the heat entering the cooling system from the exhaust port and dissipate it through the extra copper fining.

TeeZee has the idea that there is a lot of heat here that comes from the exhaust gases spraying directly down onto the port floor from the port window as the piston just cracks the port open.

Name:	A-New Motor Ex Cooling Block.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	220274

The copper block and how it presses onto the copper cooling fin for heat transfer can be seen here.

Name:	A- New Motor Ex Heatsink 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	220276

And here......

Name:	A-New Motor Copper 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	220272

The start of the cylinder cooling fin.

Name:	A-New Motor Copper 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	220273

Drilling a center for the combustion chamber, the stud and screw holes for holding the fin onto the head for ease of handling.

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Cutting out the combustion chamber..........

Name:	A-New Motor Copper 3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	220278

We used a hole saw for cutting out the combustion chamber.

Name:	A-New Engine Guid Block.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	220280

To get a good finish to the hole its important to use a guide pin (clutch push rod from a GP125 fits) and not a drill bit as the flutes of the drill will chew out the guide hole and the finish of the hole being cut will be sloppy.

Name:	A-New Engine Guide Hole.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	765.2 KB 
ID:	220277

Start the cut but don't cut right through.

Name:	A-New Engine Cut from Both Sides.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	220279

So there is not a lot of burring, I finished the cut from the other side.

Name:	A-New Engine Clean Up.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	220281

Then I Cleaned the finished cut up with some emery and a battery drill.

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    Just a thought, would some CPU heatsink grease between the block on the port and fins help increase the contact patch?
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    doubled up
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Spearfish View Post
    Just a thought, would some CPU heatsink grease between the block on the port and fins help increase the contact patch?
    Bucket used copper coat, (plenty of that around work) but I think your right CPU grease would probably have been better.

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Setting the compression ratio.

From what I can see the corrected compression ratio ranges from 7-9:1, 7-8:1 for air-cooled 125 engines and 8-9:1 for high performance water-cooled ones.

Its tempting to go for the highest possible, but aside from problems with the bike going flat on top and not revving out Graham Bell in his book, Two Stroke Performance Tuning, Table 2.2 lists his ideas of permissible uncorrected compression ratios. For a 125 running 100 Octane he lists 14.3:1 and for 100/130 Avgas 15:1 as the upper limits.

Its easier to get a corrected compression ratio of 8:1 from a motor whose exhaust opens 96 degrees after TDC than one that opens 81 degrees ATDC and stay within the limits suggested by Bell. Because 96 has more volume above the exhaust port and requires a bigger head volume than 81 does.

Thomas and I chose a cylinder head volume of 9.5cc for a corrected ratio of 7.3:1 and uncorrected ratio of 14.2:1.

Name:	A-New Motor First Cut.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	220412

A quick calculation of the volume in the squish area and copper head fin leaves 6cc for the head. Pouring 6cc into the head gave us an idea of how much needed skimming from the head as a first cut.

Name:	A-New Engine CC the Head-01.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	220413

Then it was all assembled up and measured with syringes filled with anti freeze solution. Anti freeze wont rust the engine and is easy to see, the syringes we used were a plastic 5cc and two 3cc units purchased from the local Chemist, they were only $2-3 each.

Name:	A-New Engine Several Cuts Later.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	220415

Several cuts later we got the 9.5 cc we wanted, in checking the head volume we filled the chamber until the first thread of the spark plug hole was almost covered. The top of the piston and head joint were sealed with a smear of grease.

As an added benefit, because the copper fin takes heat from the squish area and distributes it twice as quickly as the alloy head can by itself, with copper the outer fins can pull more of their weight dissipating heat.

As the heat path is longer to the outer fins, the outer fins wouldn't normally do as much work as the inner fins but with the extra copper fin, the copper carry's heat out to them as well as being a heat radiating surface itself.

Name:	A-New Motor Cushion.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	220414

Having sorted the head we made a cushion for the plenums blow off valve by gluing silicon on the cover and lightly screwing the plate to it, when the glue has set we should have a soft, flat sealing surface.

Of course non of this is the last word in 2-stroke tuning but for what its worth, its what we are up to at Team ESE.

Dad, NedKelly and Chambers have had me make plenty of parts for them before, but with Thomas's help I have been really enjoying working on my first complete motor.

Now to get this sucker fitted into TeeZee's FZR frame and see how it goes.

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    [QUOTE=bucketracer;1129874434]

Increased size of the boost port, we could have covered the old gash port but decided we would try enlarging it and drawing from the crankcase and under the piston together.

The picture of the boost port looks much better, feeding from the crankcase as well should see some real gains.

Have you tried this boost port set up with a standard induction set up? It would be interesting to find out what the results are from no other mods other than that.

On the GP Hundy of chambers if that has not been done, I believe there would be good gains there too.

Also, try 65 degrees on the boost port top edge.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketracer View Post

Attachment 220224

The best tool known to man for pulling lock tabs up tight and removing frost plugs from car engine blocks.
    Where do you keep your tools? outside in a fish bin? Or was that one salvaged from Auckland Harbour?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Where do you keep your tools? outside in a fish bin? Or was that one salvaged from Auckland Harbour?
    Yes it looks pretty ugly, I shuddered when I saw Buckets picture, the boys often have to work on site with some nasty corossive materials, tools will rust like that overnight after being out on a job the day before. They have found it pays to let the tools dry out completly before CRCing them again.

Bike
    Suzuki 125

Whats this TZ?

Name:	5056118947_1e8c4028f9_z.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	220985

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    um, an RG50 with Simon's old tail-peice & my old swingarm?

& probably rear sprocket, which I don't think I ever got paid for. Bloody Si.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    um, an RG50 with Simon's old tail-peice & my old swingarm?

& probably rear sprocket, which I don't think I ever got paid for. Bloody Si.
    na it was TZ making sure he stayed in second place in the points ahead of CHAMBERS

even if it did mean that he was passed on the OUTSIDE by a GIRL trying to lap him

TZ350 76 points and second
    CHAMBERS 62 points and thirds
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Thread Information