Page 1998 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 9981498189819481988199619971998199920002008204820982498 ... LastLast
Results 29,956 to 29,970 of 39428

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    Moped

Rotary valve 100cc V-twin 90°

The block begins to take shape!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Studies_Report_Block.pdf  
    No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong.

Bike
    Moped
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Well here finally is the result of the change to the semi flat top IAME piston with a 1mm edge radius.
    Great stuff! how much duration did you run?
    No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong.

Bike
    TZ400
    The spec for a TM KZ10C selected factory cylinder is 27mm ATDC = 82.54* = 194.92* Duration.
    That certainly doesn't mean they actually are.
    But with the piston radius , there is some conjecture as to what the real timing is effectively.
    It would appear that changing the cylinder height 1/2 the radius on the piston has the effect of great front side power at the expense of overev.
    So now I need to experiment with a slightly higher adjustment, then try an increased radius as well.
    Does anyone know what VHM did with their option piston and insert using a radius.
    They reported a 1 Hp increase , but didnt seem to loose overev in the dyno sheet i have seen.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhr View Post
    The block begins to take shape!
    Looking good. ....

Bike
    variety
    what could be the reason for not casting in a large bullnose at the transfer inner wall bore face ? https://m.facebook.com/pg/brcracingc...ernal&mt_nav=1

Bike
    Maico Bimota 250

Welding question but this forum probably has the answer.

I'm rebuilding a T250. I wanted to fill in a bit of the head to make a squish band. Welded a bit, but was full of pores. Dug out 2.5 mm of material to a clean base and tried again. Black soot and bubbles still kept coming up. Kept the heat on hoping that the air pockets would eventually float to the surface. It never happened. Just when I thought it was good the weld puddle rose and a new bubble popped out.

I let it cool and to my surprise, most of the fins had newly formed bubbles on them. Looks like there is something that vaporizes at a lower temp than the alu melt and the creates the bubbles.

........Rules are for fools and a guide for the wise ..............

http://www.marshland.co.nz

Bike
    variety
    marsh im not sure if this is your first go at something thats been oil soaked for 20yrs but it can be a bit tricky. try adjusting the machine balance so theres a bit more cleaning action. also be sure you havent dipped the tungsten in the weld or it becomes contaminated and puts contamination back into the weld. also make sure you have proper shielding gas flow and no atmosphere wind is disturbing the shielding gas. these are some of the reasons you see the black shit. once you see black its best to stop and grind it out, determine whats causing it then proceed on. other wise youll likely have a million pinholes and garbage when you go to machine it

im not sure of the bubbles. maybe someone has coated the fins with spray paint ? watch out for toxic fumes as well. you never know what chemicals a old head may have soaked up over the years. only use acetone as a cleaner since some brakecleaners can produce phosgene during the weldig process

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Quote Originally Posted by marsheng View Post
    I'm rebuilding a T250. I wanted to fill in a bit of the head to make a squish band. Welded a bit, but was full of pores. Dug out 2.5 mm of material to a clean base and tried again. Black soot and bubbles still kept coming up. Kept the heat on hoping that the air pockets would eventually float to the surface. It never happened. Just when I thought it was good the weld puddle rose and a new bubble popped out.
    Actually I reckon that the head is high pressure die cast, something that the Japs got into with heads, cheaper than sand casting. To assist production, they added zinc and other crap which makes it near impossible to weld. This is evident also in Yamaha KT100S kart engines, making the earlier sand cast heads desirable.
    So, what some dudes over here do in these situations is to not try to weld, but to build up by brazing using oxy or even propane due to the much lower temps of the brazing rod. Even though the melt temps are lower, the stuff stays on during running.

Here's just one of many:

https://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum-brazing/

I'm sure that there will be something similar of the shelf in Kiwiland.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    Exercycle
    Ken's right as usual.
    What I would also suggest is to go see a powdercoater and get anything you want to weld soaked in a Trichlorethylene bath.

Bike
    -

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Well here finally is the result of the change to the semi flat top IAME piston with a 1mm edge radius.
    The piston is 0.5mm higher, so equivalent to dropping the cylinder 1/2 the radius.
    I can see why the MX guys like this mod - added power all the way up the front side ( +1.3 max in this case ) but it drops off past 14,000.
    This I believe is simply due to the cylinder being a little low, so I will next jack it up 0.2mm, and drop the insert the same amount down the bore.
    But really what needs to happen next is to not move the cylinder, but go with a 1.5mm radius - then depending upon the result even bigger as Frits has alluded to.
    Thanks, looking good. What would be the normal curve that can be expected from a standard setup which is dropped .5mm? I assume that this mod will always be at least a little bit more likely to lack overrev or for the curve to fall on it's face as it works in the other direction, too, thus supports burnt gases to enter the transfers.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Ken's right as usual.
    What I would also suggest is to go see a powdercoater and get anything you want to weld soaked in a Trichlorethylene bath.
    Yeah but hurry. You'll need to get there before the turn of last century.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fisher View Post
    Not a 2 stroke question but... That looks like a Hurst Airheart master cylinder in the inset photo. Did the Enfiled run a rear disc, or was it a rear hydraulic drum brake, in '65?
    I cropped the Enfield bits from an article about TT technical trends or some such, think the disc brake was on a sidecar outfit. Not at home for a few days, I'll have a look when I get back.

Bike
    KR-1S, KR1-SV, KXR500, ZXR 4/600

I let it cool and to my surprise, most of the fins had newly formed bubbles on them. Looks like there is something that vaporizes at a lower temp than the alu melt and the creates the bubbles.

Had the same problem trying to weld a Honda Sky head. nothing you can do about it. After trying lot's of stuff, you think you've got it, but then when you machine the head it still looks like Swiss cheese inside.
    I ended up turning an insert and pressed it in the head, and welded the circumferrence for better heat-disipation.

Bike
    Maico Bimota 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Ken's right as usual.
    I milled out 2.5 mm before welding and I cut it dry.

Done enough welding on castings to know this is not normal. The bubbles in the fins are evidence of that. These is something they put into the cast to make it nice and clean on the outside but crap on the inside. That is probably why of the 6 or so heads I have here, 3 are cracked right through the castings.

The brazing looks like an emergency repair method and I'll get some rods. Could be very useful. For long term, either find out how to weld these or cast new ones. I need a long term solution.

These them ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs...813597481.html

Bit cheaper than the local agents !!!

Not sure if I saw it on this forum or not, but a courier said he had 100K on a T250 before a crank rebuild.. So excellent motors.
    ........Rules are for fools and a guide for the wise ..............

http://www.marshland.co.nz

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Not sure if I saw it on this forum or not, but a courier said he had 100K on a T250 before a crank rebuild.. So excellent motors.
    Yes, post 29942, just a page back.

Thread Information