Page 356 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 2563063463543553563573583664064568561356 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,340 of 39429

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Got my cylinder done in Whanganui half/Third the price of elsewhere and really impressed with the quality and workmanship (Through Brain Thorley Motorcycles)
    Griffiths engineering (PN) has done some amazing work on the head (like a VHM) and most other bits that are beyond me...[/url]
    Years ago there was a bunch of Griffiths racing buckets and they had a machine shop or some sort of engineering business. Probably the same guys.

Bike
    a shed full of crazy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Years ago there was a bunch of Griffiths racing buckets and they had a machine shop or some sort of engineering business. Probably the same guys.
    Yip. and they still have shed loads of very cool buckets & bucket sidecars.

Bike
    2006, KTM, 250 SX
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Here are some of the pictures. Most of them have not been shown on an open forum before.
    Pictures 1 and 2 show development stages; both are several years old now.
    Picture 3 shows doctor of physics Denis Klemm (left) and myself with the first 50 cc FOS cylinders. Denis was of vital importance in applying the Selective Laser Melting process that allowed me to produce the shapes I wanted.
    Pictures 4, 5 and 6 show these cylinders from some different angles.
    Now this is really interesting, not only the port arrangement, but the manufacturing method as well!

It just happens I spoke briefly with a colleague about the possibility using laser-sintering/melting for cylinder prototyping. For me it will probably stay stay just like that, discussing and dreaming.
    Anyway, his main concerns were surface accuracy and less than full density of the resulting material. That, and to find someone who had developed for an useable aluminium alloy.

-After seeing your cylinder today, the colleague said that it had some of, or even the best surface quality he had seen. Seems you have it all covered.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    The Bucket GP at Taupo.
    . . .
    F5Dave went faster in the wet on his 50 than I did in the dry on my 125, a big hats off to him ..... respect.

. . ..
    ahhh, actually I think you read the wrong session & it was a dry one, in the 50 race I was on slicks in the wet so had well modified lines to just stay on board & bring it home.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by teriks View Post
    Now this is really interesting, not only the port arrangement, but the manufacturing method as well!
    It just happens I spoke briefly with a colleague about the possibility using laser-sintering/melting for cylinder prototyping. For me it will probably stay stay just like that, discussing and dreaming.
    Anyway, his main concerns were surface accuracy and less than full density of the resulting material. That, and to find someone who had developed for an useable aluminium alloy.
    -After seeing your cylinder today, the colleague said that it had some of, or even the best surface quality he had seen. Seems you have it all covered.
    I think we have. We used AlSi12 material; the melting resolution was 20 micron. The result is a dense, hard workpiece, better than the best casting quality.
    If there is a downside to all this, it would be that building these two 50 cc cylinders took 25 machine-hours; great for prototypes, but forget about mass production.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    The Bucket GP at Taupo.

My Laps:- http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=733033

F5Dave went faster in the wet on his 50 than I did in the dry on my 125, a big hats off to him ..... respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    ahhh, actually I think you read the wrong session & it was a dry one, in the 50 race I was on slicks in the wet so had well modified lines to just stay on board & bring it home.
    OK ... so ... F5Dave went faster on his 50 than I did on my big hp 125, in practice/qualifing and I was giving it a real good go too, so, how does he do it?

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Don't you FXR150 riders hate it, when you get to a party and some other chick is wearing the same dress as you.
    No, because at least we have a conversation starter while all you big boys stand in the other corner comparing lubricants.

Bike
    Neels van NieKerk auther of EngMod2T

As far as squish is concerned whether it helps or not depends on the residual turbulence at the time of combustion. As for squish quenching the flame at the edge of the squish band to stop detonation is not looking very likely. http://home.earthlink.net/~scloughn/id21.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tail Pipe Entry Geometrie.pdf 
Views:	296 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	250292 Tail pipe entry geometry http://www.google.co.nz/#sclient=psy...w=1024&bih=574

Name:	engmod2t.pdf 
Views:	254 
Size:	401.5 KB 
ID:	250284 (2004) EngMod2T manual :- http://www.rddreams.com/neels/engmod2t.pdf

This manual is a bit dated but worth a look, hopefully someone can find a more recent version for us to look at.

Obtaining the EngMod2T suite of programs
    The software price is $400.00. To purchase it email Neels van Niekerk at
    vannik@mweb.co.za with a request. The software will then be emailed to you after which you
    install it on your PC. The pre and post processors together with all the help files should then
    work. EngMod2T requires a licence file to run. A one month evaluation license can be
    provided. If after reading the help files you should decide to purchase the software contact
    Neels van Niekerk to obtain banking details. Once proof of payment has been received the
    licence file will be sent to you. The licence is for one computer only.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    No, because at least we have a conversation starter while all you big boys stand in the other corner comparing lubricants.
    I know you are right. Women seem to always have something that requires conversation.

Question for Frits

With regards to adjustable length pipes For (Expansion chambers). I seem to have picked up that they at least mostly lengthening for low end power.
    Has anyone tried ones that just shorten for top end or a least over rev potential to me that would be a more logical solution?( I am not always logical mind you)
    I know Cagiva ran a hydraulic system and someone posted a solution you like on pit-lane but I can't access the pic I have a log in and it would let me in?
    Last edited by husaberg; 8th November 2011 at 22:00. Reason: Question for Frits
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    ...With regards to adjustable length pipes For (Expansion chambers). I seem to have picked up that they at least mostly lengthening for low end power. Has anyone tried ones that just shorten for top end or a least over rev potential to me that would be a more logical solution?
    You have to stay within certain length percentage limits for all elements of the exhaust system; you cannot make one part a lot longer or shorter in relation to the others without losing power somewhere.
    It is best to concentrate on getting all dimensions correct for maximum power. In the high gears you don't ride low revs and in the low gears you'll have enough low-down power left to pull a wheelie or spin out the rear wheel (I'm not talking about buckets though, so you might want to reconsider your case).
    If you have a decent setup for angle*areas, pipe, carburation and ignition, the necessary overrev potential will come naturally; no need to sacrifice maximum power in order to make it rev a little higher.

Bike
    2006, KTM, 250 SX
    I think we have. We used AlSi12 material; the melting resolution was 20 micron. The result is a dense, hard workpiece, better than the best casting quality.
    If there is a downside to all this, it would be that building these two 50 cc cylinders took 25 machine-hours; great for prototypes, but forget about mass production.
    Should be a bit faster for a 6.6cc cylinder, might even be affordable, for a prototype that is.
    Then again, I think I'm better of sticking to my loose plan of using Rob's cylinders and making my own crankcases.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by teriks View Post
    Should be a bit faster for a 6.6cc cylinder, might even be affordable, for a prototype that is.
    Then again, I think I'm better of sticking to my loose plan of using Rob's cylinders and making my own crankcases.
    In my cylinders it was mainly the complicated cooling ducting that forced me to find a way around casting limitations. For an air-cooled cylinder like you want, there is no need to resort to selective laser melting.
    Rob Metkemeijer's MB40 prototype engines are cast using the lost-wax method. Below you see a mold with exhaust and transfer cores, a wax cylinder and the end product. A mold like this for an air-cooled cylinder is relatively easy to make.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MBlangeslag-011.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	250316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waxcyl.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	250317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-port-1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	250318  

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    It was a great time catching up with old friends, and meeting new ones. Roll on the next GP, can't wait, big hp is fun fun fun even if I can't ride for nuts.
    Was great catching up again. I think after being on track with the fast 2 strokes again. If it was dry it would have been a lot closer. The level of bikes and riders just keeps on climbing. I know that to win this race you need more than a fast bike. You need a fast bike a very focused rider and a bit of luck. Looking forward to next year already.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    Was great catching up again. Looking forward to next year already.
    "Looking forward to next year", me too and breakfast at Tiffany’s again.

I have purchased a copy of EngMod2T and will see what improvements I can make before the next GP and Chambers is pretty interested in what hp improvements he can make to Av's bike.

Bike
    Tried each of the centre section inserts in turn.

Name:	Honda RS Chamber Slip Joints 5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	250361 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TeeZees 60mm mid section Dyno Graphs.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	250362

You have to stay within certain length percentage limits for all elements of the exhaust system; you cannot make one part a lot longer or shorter in relation to the others without losing power somewhere.

Name:	TeeZees Mid Section Dyno Graphs.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	250360

That explains what we found (and suspected). We tried header and mid section extensions, neither on their own or in combination moved the power spread lower in the rpm range. The longer the extension the less top end power and a pronounced double hump. But no significant low end improvement.

And I suspect slippery pipes will behave much the same but water may work because I think it would change all the sections of the pipe proportionaly.

Name:	Pumper  023.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	250364

The power came back as the pipe was progressively shortened to its proper tuned length.

Thread Information