Page 429 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 3293794194274284294304314394795299291429 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,435 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    As we were talking about Yamaha and their lack of results here is an interesting story. Harold did the CNC anemometric flow testing on the BSL cylinder for me that I had lithographed in plastic. He showed me the dyno curves of his cylinder Vs Yamahas on the 125 when he was running their team with the Japanese rider Ui. Yamaha wouldn't let him use his 50.2 Hp set-up on the bike - even though their cylinder only managed 44.
    Here is the preceding story, Wob, as told to me by my recently-passed friend Cees van Dongen. Cees was working on his son's Yahama TZ125 which was no match for the Honda RS125, power-wise. Cees changed the stroke from 50.7 to 54.5 mm and put a Honda cylinder on the Yamaha engine. Problem solved.
    Bartol, facing the same problem while he was working for the Kurz Yamaha team, noted the dutch solution. Bartol also had a good connection with the factory and offered to develop a better cylinder for the TZ125. The Bartol cylinder turned out to be an exact copy of a Honda cylinder. Yamaha was not pleased...

Bike
    husaberg
    grabbed what i thought was a Piatti AMC engine cylinder.It turns out it was not what i thought it was.

It has a very British Hepolite piston +60 thou it has massive transfer cut always so very un-villiers.

It also has unusual transfer bulges outside of cylinder so again un-Villiers but no transfer slots and a flat top piston.
    It may be the mark 2 version mentioned in the Villiers article i posted? Also judging by the bore it must be a 250.
    it is unbelievably heavy compared to the 8e/9e.

Most unusually it has a heart shaped inlet port. poor quality pics sorry as now, i can't find my camera.
    Can anyone make a call on what it is?

I guess you may have to be over 60 to answer the question sorry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMCa.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	257127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMCb.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	257128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMCg.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	257129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMCc.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	257130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMCe.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	257131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMCd.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	257132  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1996 Buell S1
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketracer View Post
    I have been doing a lot of the Team ESE’s dyno work lately and gaining a lot of experience while getting paid to make engine parts after school for the Team as well as making an income building a special engine or two for customers, now some of our engines are leading the pack.

Attachment 257073

Having done a lot of the work helping TeeZee develop his 31hp Bucket engine, the Team recons that I have a few clues, and a bit of talent and can now call myself a real industry insider with a bit of worthwhile tuning knowledge and experience...........
    Looks like you are doing a great job!

Bike
    TZ400
    The other thing to add to that Frits is a lesson that was well taken from Harold by me.
    He made a reed setup that had large stuffers down each side of the block.
    The logic was that Yamaha's reed was way too big,loosing a heap of velocity as the flow exited the manifold.
    The reed block he used - off a Honda.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4 28-24mm Carb.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	257152

Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    By a bit of clever machining Bucket managed to lose 15mm from the inlet tract length (it was 145mm). We will see how that goes tomorrow night.

Name:	A Side carb.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	257151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Side Carb  004.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	257150

Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    You might also consider putting the restriction in the bellmouth if your rules allow it. That would mean you can have a considerably longer trailing ramp (the widening can start right after the bellmouth, i.e. under the throttle slide). It also means that only the air, not the fuel, has to pass through the restriction. That way the total mass that has to be accelerated through the restriction, will be about 8 % less.

Name:	A3 Carb Mod.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	257146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1 Carb Mod.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	257147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2 Carb Mod.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	257148

Its a little grey, some people feel a carb should always be measured at the same point that the original manufacturer measured it, but yes the rules seem to allow carb mods and we have tried your idea before and it worked OK.

The interesting thing is, that the signal strength was much greater and we had to reduce the main jet, we went from 140 down to 100 which is the smallest we could get, made 31rwhp with the 100mj, maybe there is more if we could get smaller jets.

When I settle on a carb configuration Lectron are open to looking at providing them as 24mm specials if they like the design, then the carbs would be available on special order to anyone who wants one so they will be completely within the rules or a punter could save quite a few $$$ and modify something for themselves.

Bike
    N/A
    TZ, you could buy a couple from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=keihin...&_stpos=&gbr=1

Bike
    husaberg
    Here is the preceding story, Wob, as told to me by my recently-passed friend Cees van Dongen. Cees was working on his son's Yahama TZ125 which was no match for the Honda RS125, power-wise. Cees changed the stroke from 50.7 to 54.5 mm and put a Honda cylinder on the Yamaha engine. Problem solved.
    Bartol, facing the same problem while he was working for the Kurz Yamaha team, noted the dutch solution. Bartol also had a good connection with the factory and offered to develop a better cylinder for the TZ125. The Bartol cylinder turned out to be an exact copy of a Honda cylinder. Yamaha was not pleased...
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    The other thing to add to that Frits is a lesson that was well taken from Harold by me.
    He made a reed setup that had large stuffers down each side of the block.
    The logic was that Yamaha's reed was way too big,loosing a heap of velocity as the flow exited the manifold.
    The reed block he used - off a Honda.
    So the real secret to getting a Yamaha to run hard.
    Is to put in a complete Honda engine then
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    So the real secret to getting a Yamaha to run hard.
    Is to put in a complete Honda engine then
    There used to be a kit in the states to change the nineties TZ125 to the same bore x stroke as the RS125
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    razor scooter(pink)
    The 'kit' came out after the 54 X 54.5 TZ came out . The 56mm TZ is a right bitch to tune almost any usual tuning trick results in a loss of HP.

Bike
    none
    Its a little grey, some people feel a carb should always be measured at the same point that the original manufacturer measured it, but yes the rules seem to allow carb mods and we have tried your idea before and it worked OK.
    'Some people' can feel all they want, as long as they stay away from me and the missus.
    Reading a rulebook is every bit as important as preparing an engine. I practiced reading between the lines all my life, before I became a technical adviser to the royal dutch motorcycle union KNMV and (much more fun) to the dutch moped racing union SOBW, so I know how to read a rulebook. Before I joined, the moped rules stated for example that the carburetter should not be larger than 20 mm. But nowhere in the rulebook did it say that you could have only one such carburetter...

Bike
    none
    'Some people' can feel all they want, as long as they stay away from me and the missus.
    Reading a rulebook is every bit as important as preparing an engine. I practiced reading between the lines all my life, before I became a technical advisor to the royal dutch motorcycle union KNMV and (much more fun) to the dutch moped racing union SOBW, so I know how to read a rulebook. Before I joined, the moped rules stated for example that the carburetter should not be larger than 20 mm. But nowhere in the rulebook did it say that you could have only one such carburetter...

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Which is the exact reason for the wording of our rules being "carburation equivalent to a single 24mm carb"

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    . . the moped rules stated for example that the carburetter should not be larger than 20 mm. ...
    thats a pretty small carburettor, be hard to get a bore size of more than 8mm.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    thats a pretty small carburettor, be hard to get a bore size of more than 8mm.
    This is why nobody likes you Dave.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That's not what you said last night.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information