Page 637 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 13753758762763563663763863964768773711371637 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,555 of 39424

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Talking transmissions - what would the efficiency be of a CVT transmission as fitted to a typical jap scooter such as my Yamaha NXC125? I'm suspecting it's low due to losses at the belt to pulley interface but since it provides the ideal engine torque dependant on throttle and speed it makes up for it. On the dyno when horsepower is mapped against road speed there is a lot of area under the graph though the measured power is pretty modest for the capacity.

Bike
    husaberg

Daf

http://antholonet.com/EngineersCars/DAF/daf.html
    To allow fully automatic operation a centrifugal clutch on each belt engaged smoothly when accelerating from a stop. While moving, the pressure applied to the first pair of conical disks was controlled by the manifold vacuum and engine rpm, thus automatically ensuring the appropriate ratio for any condition. Reverse was engaged before the differential, allowing the DAF to be driven just as fast in reverse as it did going forwards! The transmission lever had only three positions: Forward, Neutral and Reverse. There was also a button which locked the transmission into a particular gear ratio which allowed engine braking for driving downhill.

DAF's innovative Variomatic Transmission, continued to be developed, eventually being used by Nissan and others. It was even developed enough to be used in a prototype Williams F1 car. However, the prototype system proved so efficient that it was quickly banned from F1 racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    To allow fully automatic operation a centrifugal clutch on each belt engaged smoothly when accelerating from a stop. While moving, the pressure applied to the first pair of conical disks was controlled by the manifold vacuum and engine rpm, thus automatically ensuring the appropriate ratio for any condition.....There was also a button which locked the transmission into a particular gear ratio which allowed engine braking for driving downhill.
    Nope. That button didn't lock the transmission ratio. It cut off the manifold vacuum signal, so revs did not drop when you closed the throttle, and the transmission ratio remained optimal. I have owned two DAFs and I always drove with the button in that position because it gave a better pick-up.
    DAF's innovative Variomatic Transmission, continued to be developed, eventually being used by Nissan and others. It was even developed enough to be used in a prototype Williams F1 car. However, the prototype system proved so efficient that it was quickly banned from F1 racing.
    It was primarily banned because of its sound. People want to hear engine revs go up and down as drivers go through the gears. The Williams-F1, driven by young David Coulthard, sounded like a horn going round the track, always emitting the same tone. The FIA did not like that.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Nope. That button didn't lock the transmission ratio. It cut off the manifold vacuum signal, so revs did not drop when you closed the throttle, and the transmission ratio remained optimal. I have owned two DAFs and I always drove with the button in that position because it gave a better pick-up.
    It was primarily banned because of its sound. People want to hear engine revs go up and down as drivers go through the gears. The Williams-F1, driven by young David Coulthard, sounded like a horn going round the track, always emitting the same tone. The FIA did not like that.
    http://www.ret-monitor.com/articles/1104/transmission/I asked Boulanger his opinion about the ‘arms race’ that CVT would have brought to Formula One. Would everyone have had to develop CVT, had it not been banned by the FIA? “Yes - not because the public would have liked it, but they would have been forced into it,” he says.
    Despite the fact that Boulanger believes that the public would have hated CVT in Formula One, such was its potential advantage that everyone would have been forced to follow because the penalty of not doing so would be so damaging. In the next issue of RET-Monitor we will look at some other aspects of this fascinating project.
    http://www.ret-monitor.com/articles/...ne-cvt-part-2/Williams developed in conjunction with Van Doorn in the early 1990s, and spoke to engineer Arnaud Boulanger who was involved with the project...The nature of the relationship between Williams and Van Doorn was one of exclusivity. Had the CVT not been banned, the route to development of a successful system for other teams would have been made harder by this deal.
    We can see that, beyond the initial successful test where the concept was proven to work and to be very effective, there would have been a tremendous amount of work to do in order to make any car using such a system race-worthy. In fact, had the FIA not banned the system - and had Williams and Renault carried out the required work - their position of dominance would have been absolutely unassailable, and it could have changed Formula One for a long time.
    Have you ever heard a CVT car drive by? I heard DC testing the Williams F1 CVT gearbox and it was bloody infuriating. The engine never changes speed because the gearbox handles all of that. The car just made this horrible monotone sound the whole way around the track. Nobody would be able to take the sound of 20 F1 cars that are make the same tone. You couldn't tell if they were speeding up or slowing down. It would be horrible.

This point was well understood by car engineers outside of Williams long before 1993. One solution was to do away with a conventional gearbox and instead use a system of pulleys to adapt the engine’s power in line with what the driver required.
    The system – continuously (or “continually”) variable transmission – existed in various different forms. DAF had produced a road car in 1958 called the 600 (or “A-Type”) which featured a “Variomatic” gearbox – which was essentially a CVT.
    The problem for using such technology in racing cars was the difficulty of finding a strong enough belt to transit the power from an F1 engine.
    In 1993 Williams cracked it and David Coulthard tested the car on a wet July day at Pembrey in Wales. It was later driven by touring car racer Alain Menu (his Renault 19 race car was prepared by Williams at the time).
    At first it was feared that a ban on electronically controlled gearboxes would do away with the CVT before it could race. But in the end the FIA came up with something much more direct to get rid of it.
    They stipulated that, from 1994, F1 cars had to have between four and seven fixed gears – and for good measure added a sub-clause specifically banning CVT.
    Williams’ CVT car sounded revolutionarily different to contemporary (and modern) F1 cars because of the different way it used the engine. Instead of the revs rising and falling with each corner they remaining constant through each bend – a wholly unusual sound for spectators.
    There was also speculation that it had instantly proved several seconds per lap quicker than the conventional Williams – which was already streets ahead of its rivals.
    http://histomobile.com/dvd_histomobi.../tech/83-2.htmMeanwhile, another concept of mechanical CVT became widespread: the V-belt and conical pulleys of variable effective diameter. Patented in 1897 in the USA by H. C Spaulding, this device was initially used on machine tools, then as from the Fifties on motor cycles (Mobymatic of Mobylette) and scooters (DKW Hobby) as well as for the drive of centrifugal compressors (Mac Culloch VS 57). It was then popularized by DAF under the name Variomatic in 1958, with a ratio span of 3.72. This transmission remained in production until 1990 for the Volvo 340 with the Renault 1.4 L engine – in spite of a longevity of the two belts hardly reaching 40000 km. Working in the open, it was also fitted successfully on two Brabham-Cosworth of Formula 3 which gained 2 victories in 1967. It had been possible to tune their engines to extract the maximum of power without being concerned about their torque back-up. Some F3 Tecno were then also equipped with such a CVT.
    This system has been further sophisticated lately since it is able today to transmit torques of more than 350 Nm, thanks to a single chain or metal belt working in oil inside a casing. Since 1987, the fragile rubber belts had seen the competition of a metal version mass-produced by Van Doorne Transmissie (VDT) and composed of two parallel endless steel rings enclosing 300 to 400 "push plates". The sides of these push plates, in V at the angle of the pulleys flanks, ensure the contact with them. The push plates press against each other while being constrained to follow the path dictated by the rings. That's why this belt is known as a "push-belt". A Formula 1Williams FW15C using this new type of belt would have semi-officially set a new elapsed-time track record at Silverstone in 1993[1 ]. The CVT were then banished by the FIA for the following year.
    Williams-Renault FW 15 C - CVT
    In Europe, the preconceived and prevalent idea remains that automatic transmissions are intended for the quiet and slow driving characteristic of the elderly and not so sporty guys, although the opposite was clearly shown in racing by JimHall's Chapparals in the 60's and by some other racing drivers, amongst them the engineer and great journalist Paul Frère.
    In order to give a better image of the product by launching it again on the race tracks, Emery Hendriks of Van Doorne Transmissions contacted in 1991 Patrick Head, technical director of the Williams Formula 1 team. After a simple gentleman's agreement, it was decided to go forward. VDT built a test bench able to handle CVT powertrain prototypes with Formula 1 engines of 800 kW and more. The transmission was planned for a ratio span of 2.5 and a lifespan of 4 hours. Its development took one and half year, Williams taking care of the design and manufacturing of the casings, gears and conventional starting clutch controlled by the usual pedal. A sophisticated electronic control system was conceived in collaboration. Several small oil pumps were set, each one affected to a specific task. This made it possible to increase the transmission efficiency up to 95% instead of the much lower percentage of the marketed versions. A car was ready in 1993 and entrusted to David Coulthard, then development driver at Williams.
    The results were promising, accelerations being uninterrupted and the maximum power permanently available. Moreover the pilot had his two feet available to accelerate with one and to brake with the other (advantage inherent to every automatic transmission as soon as the driver is accustomed to this practice) and its attention could be focused on driving itself. It was possible for him to adjust the engine revs according to the needed power, in fact to reduce the rpm if his advance on the other competitors would have been sufficient.
    Being given that a CVT contains intrinsically all the conceivable ratios, it wouldn't have been necessary any more to transport for each race some 600 kg of gears in order to adapt the transmission ratios to the track's characteristics. However, the FIA banned any driving assistance such as ABS, ESP and CVT, this probably in a bid to maintain the spectacle and the popularity of the Grand-Prix. The Williams FW 15C then finishes quietly her days in a museum and documentation relative to these developments takes the dust in the drawers of the two companies.
    Sources:
    Yamaguchi Jack: CVT' S rapid expansion, Automotive Engineering, March 1996
    Without author's name: CVT, Transmission à Variation Continue ou Transmission Viable Commercialement
    in 'Ingénieurs de l’Automobile N° 690, Juin-Juillet 1994'
    whether true or not it makes for a great conspiracy theory. The noise of course is constantly mentioned but so is a lap time advantage wheater this would have been the case and weather the engines could have handled it we will never know i guess.
    The last bit quoted seems legitimate as the sources are quoted and credited also the williams active suspension was banned at around the same time.
    the 95% effeciency claim is incredible......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...vBGT8twM#t=26s
    From Memory Honda does this around the other way(below).I cant remember why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhFK5...tailpage#t=76s
    one with chain, ban those pesky belts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...bnDXw-0pM#t=1s
    Well worth watching power of friction
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Document (13).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	724.5 KB 
ID:	273147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Document (14).JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	578.2 KB 
ID:	273148  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    razor scooter(pink)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I have owned two DAFs and I always drove with the button in
    Which number were you Frits Jeez this was big action back in the day probably rated it's nuts off on Hilversum 2

Bike
    husaberg
    I have always wondered about this with pit dump tracks and trains but thought more electrical storage.
    Kers
    the real deal is here.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/volv...ent-49623.html
    Hybrid flywheel energy storage got off to a bit of a shaky start in Formula 1 back in 2009, but the technology is gaining ground outside the motorsports arena in production cars, utility companies, and – now – it’s found its way into bicycles!

The bike you see here has been rigged up with a 15 lb. automotive flywheel that’s mated to a CVT, which allows the rear wheel to transfer kinetic energy to the flywheel under “braking”, effectively slowing the bike down. Once the cyclist is ready to pick up speed again, the CVT is shifted the other way, and the spinning mass of the flywheel “boosts” the rider’s legs and provides forward motion – just like the flywheel KERS systems proposed by Williams F1 (which provides flywheel hybrid tech to Porsche) and Volvo.It’s a great concept that, once seen, is easy to understand. Check out some close-up schematics and installation photos (below), and see for yourself!
    I am not sure of how easy the bike would maneuver though with the 15 lb spinning mass....plus the real deal spins in a vacume as well but intersting to me anyway..

Also Frits was i close with the reason for the post floats with the RV Aprillia or miles off
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    OK ... it might be 4-stroke but its an interesting story on setting up and using a Mega Squirt fuel injection system.

http://www.madhu.com/content/Main/FuelInjection

and Co2 powered Shift kit.

http://www.biperformance.ca/cShiftFXDrag.html

Bike
    husaberg
    Burt Munro

A tenacious bugger if ever there was one.

Here is an except form the book that George Begg wrote.
    George was certainly a character himself..I sincerely think he wouldn't have minded me posting a wee bit of it.
    I should ask arround and see if there was a second print run ever done.
    That can be your job Greg and Warwick.

"The Munro Paddle dyno"

Name:	Burts dyno 1.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	273248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burts dyno 2.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	570.5 KB 
ID:	273249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burts dyno 3.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	573.2 KB 
ID:	273250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burts dyno 4.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	640.7 KB 
ID:	273251  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2T Institute View Post
    Which number were you Frits Jeez this was big action back in the day probably rated it's nuts off on Hilversum 2

I'm sure I saw TZ's 100m/h simca in there. The red white and blue one with a dinosaur on the side
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    yamaha
    cvt is so smooth onto the power that you can get on the gas earlier. we constantly pull motorbikes out of the corners on our 50cc scooters

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Burt Munro

A tenacious bugger if ever there was one.

Here is an except form the book that George Begg wrote.
    George was certainly a character himself..I sincerely think he wouldn't have minded me posting a wee bit of it.
    I should ask arround and see if there was a second print run ever done.
    That can be your job Greg and Warwick.

"The Munro Paddle dyno"
    As far as i know only the one print run....Hannah's book came out after George's one and was better marketed.
    George would have asked for a reprint fee for your post.......

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    As far as i know only the one print run....Hannah's book came out after George's one and was better marketed.
    George would have asked for a reprint fee for your post.......
    I'd have been beggered if he had of... Nah i would have reminded him that i had brought two of his loaders and roll frames over the years and sold the both loaders for more than i payed for the tractors....then i would have asked for a commission fee.

George for those you don't know who he was made Begg attachments after hours they made F5000 cars. George and raced a brace of Manx Nortons including at the IOM.
    He was one of the driving forces behind the classic movement here in the south. Rarely missed a race meeting in the south Island (even when he moved to Aussie.)
    He was a larger than life character both figuratively and literally. His voice and laugh could be heard all over the pits.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    TZ400
    Not only did Begg make F5000 cars the guys who actually did the work ( Fred McLean and Peter Pinion ) also
    built race frames for bikes.
    They did TZ350s and one with a TZ500 or 750
    Im building a replica ( modified after some FEA work ) Frepin 350 now, for Discombe to race at Philip Island and I also have the original 500 frame.
    Here is a pic of the 350 frame in front of a new 400 - F3 bike.
    Anyone know anything about the 500 - I believe a John McLaclan rode it in the 80s.

Name:	RZ400 - Frepin 350.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	734.2 KB 
ID:	273263  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So I think Aussies run pre 80 rather than pre 82 like we do. I was investigating a mates bike & I think is was an Aussie P&R in square section ally, but I rang them & sadly it was 83. Originally designed for a TZ250/350 it was fitted with a 256 Rotax, pity, one year crosses the line from competitive in 82 to nowhere in 89 a less covered class.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TZ400
    Na the OZbergers run Post Classic Pre 82 Junior as we do, but like the poms the buggers allow late model TZ, 41mm forks on a TZ350.
    We must run period only forks, so I have built up a set from 82 GS1100GK, the only production bike I can find with 41mm conventional forks from pre 82.
    And using special SV650 legs the Doctor will be fitting GSXR Ohlins cartridges inside, as internals are free - that will teach them.
    P&R did an alloy swingarm in period for the TZ350, so that is OK within the rules.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Thread Information