Page 1958 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 9581458185819081948195619571958195919601968200820582458 ... LastLast
Results 29,356 to 29,370 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post
    I guess I did miss your point. So where does one find these maps? I've seen a piggy back module that JD jetting is tinkering with, but that is only changing the 2D map. The only other thing is the GET ecu, but if you have other info, I would much like to know! Thanks
    Ask Chris B, he apparently had the ECU changed/upgraded by KTM themselves. I guess it's just a matter of money?
    And yes how do you find out about the KTM system if not even the dealers know anything about how the system works?
    I'm sure someone knows by now. I'm sure KTM HQ (NZ or AU) would be able to help.

Bike
    Bucket Sidecar
    Quote Originally Posted by steamroller View Post
    Good to have you back' now maybe you can fix all the honda rs 125s as they only have 40hp.
    Top end RS125 at approx 43hp + 15% (difference in loss from running through gearbox compared with direct drive) and you almost have 50hp, so just the sort of figures you might expect from a 125 Kart. But still takes skill to attain.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    OK so to be a pervert. . . So how about a 24mm carb with a 80 size mainjet and injection to do the rest. You know? Just to get things going with most benefits.
    Initially I was deeply affected by the suggestion and had to seek counseling to help me recover from the emotional shock. LOL

But actually I have thought about this some more, and you maybe on the money. Good expensive racing carbs have all sorts of trickery like TPS and PWM power jets and still can have a wonky fueling curve.

Looking at data from good EFI runs I see that the most fuel is required at peak torque as you would expect and then the fuel requirement drops away significantly after that. That is hard to do with a carb as carbs richen up with increasing rpm.

A solution maybe, is to have a cheap (OKO) carb set up to run as good as it can be.

Then like you suggest, replace the main jet with one half the size and make up the difference with EFI which can easily be adjusted for very precise fueling from idle to max over rev with a combined fueling result that is better and more accurate than even the most expensive carbs can manage.

With the EFI system precisely filling in the missing half of the main jets range while leaving the carb to do what it does better at low throttle settings. The beauty of this is that you would not need to worry about atmospheric changes as the EFI's MAP sensor takes care of that. I think that this could be very workable, but an admission of defeat so I won't be going there today but I have all the gear required and you never know about tomorrow.

A hybrid setup like this could be very very easily implemented software wise and got running by nearly anyone in an afternoon. And you could easily handle those tricky fuels like E85 that need enriching when the motor gets hotter. This type of hybrid would be a good setup for Methanol too.

I had been married to the idea that it was EFI or Carburetor. F5 Dave and Husaburg, thanks for the idea of combining the best bits from both.

Bike
    TZ400
    KTM used that idea Rob, but even less complicated, in their 250 GP engine
    They recognized that the only real downfall of the carb was max revs with no throttle, so an injector was used to supply fuel during only this scenario.
    Carbs going rich over the top is easily fixed with even a simple rpm switched power jet, PWM is way better of course,and this was used to control fueling at
    points in the range where the carb was not so good by Aprilia.
    Makes me wonder if EFI is actually worth the effort,expense, complication,when PWM control of a vacuum operated auxiliary fuel jet can easily be made to work perfectly.

A kit Honda's make close to 50 RWHp as you can see from the graph I posted, so this is only down a little from the mid 50s seen at the sprocket by Aprilia.
    All kart testing is done at the sprocket as well, but remember those are restricted to a 30mm carb and a poxy straight line PVL ignition.
    RS125 customer engines can quite easily go 48.8 Hp at the sprocket, as we used to use in 125 National racing in karts.
    So this equates to around mid 40s at the rear wheel.
    With the technology we have now I would opine that getting close to that 48 number at the rear wheel would be easy enough with a pipe,head and ignition change.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Makes me wonder if EFI is actually worth the effort,expense, complication.
    Yes me too, but I have got a bee in my bonnet about it and want to see it through if I can.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bee-in-bonnet-10.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	336313

Bike
    gpr150
    Quote Originally Posted by seymour14 View Post
    Top end RS125 at approx 43hp + 15% (difference in loss from running through gearbox compared with direct drive) and you almost have 50hp, so just the sort of figures you might expect from a 125 Kart. But still takes skill to attain.
    Yes you are bang on. 1995 the nx4 was built so we really are behind the eight ball on here. Thanks seymour

Bike
    Yes you are bang on. 1995 the nx4 was built so we really are behind the eight ball on here. Thanks seymour
    With Wobs guidance I am hoping to close the gap a bit with NX4's or at least catch up to you guys, but with a water cooled version.

Bike
    gpr150
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    With Wobs guidance I am hoping to close the gap a bit with NX4's or at least catch up to you guys, but with a water cooled version.
    With guidance from wobb it will be a walk in the park we are just some hill billies in a hay shed that love to drink.

Bike
    With guidance from wobb it will be a walk in the park we are just some hill billies in a hay shed that love to drink.
    Been past your shed a couple of times lately but no body was home. I love your work and dropping in when I am down that way for a bit of a catch up.

Bike
    Bucket Sidecar
    Speak for yourself.

I live in a woodshed.

Bike
    Bucket Sidecar
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Been past your shed a couple of times lately but no body was home. I love your work and dropping in when I am down that way for a bit of a catch up.
    Look forward to it, we'll all catch up.

Bike
    variety
    wob im trying to figure how the aux passages will mesh into the main passage if I make it longer. its 66mm bore with 70mm main passage. I can easily make it 130mm but how will the new aux passages transition into the longer main passage is what im not sure. the dotted line is exactly how it looks now and the outer lines are what I think it should be once the main is 130mm. I can make atleast 110mm of it water cooled. the last 20mm will be a removable spigot but im not sure yet how I want to go about it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_012857.jpeg 
Views:	198 
Size:	752.5 KB 
ID:	336314  

Bike
    honda ns 400
    First race today with rounded piston on KTM SX 65, very positive. First place and the boy really like this engine new character.

Thanks

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    From these results you can see that both are miles off the 0.8 Mach rule of thumb.
    I have been playing with EngMod and the method of developing the header section as Wob describes, learning lots, thanks.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Mark two version TPI engine (EFI) coming along slowly.
    gears now hardened, ground and fitted. See the idler is also a counter balance gear. A second one is on the other side of the crank, tied in with the starting mechanism.
    Plastic gear drives water pump and autolube pump.
    Rotary Valve is yet to be trimmed to the required top end numbers, Gibs will take care of changing timings as revs and load drops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180423_115250.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	599.7 KB 
ID:	336334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180423_115547.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	616.4 KB 
ID:	336335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180423_120010.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	702.2 KB 
ID:	336336  

Thread Information