Page 1996 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 9961496189619461986199419951996199719982006204620962496 ... LastLast
Results 29,926 to 29,940 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    variety
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Thanks Husa and Jan.
    I have a new cylinder to test from TM (designed with the side ears right thru the spigot ) and i want to run it with exactly the Aprilia style steps first
    then several versions with top/bottom steps removed with added material in the spigot.
    dont say steps are no good now. i havent the patience or time to go back and change mine

Bike
    TZ400
    Honda started the step debate years ago with their tune up sheet that said " do not remove steps from cylinder , this looses 1.5 Hp ".
    They were right of course, but the next " step " was to add material to the spigot, that then became a matching oval to round transition " nozzle ".

In varying forms this is what I have been using forever , but when you have huge ears added to a 3 port, that extend the side ducts right down thru the spigot
    to the header start , then because 2Ts are contrary bastard things I am not going to assume that having a matching spigot with no steps at all will be the best.
    TM kart engines have never had anything but a plain oval exit - and I have seen all manner of variations , with a step only at the bottom, only at the top , and both ( like the Aprilia ).

But the dyno says that for a plain oval - the matching transition works best, as long as the spigot floor is parallel to the cylinder floor.
    So now I have a new TM cylinder with the ears , and the correct exit area as well , I will have to test the combinations all over again.
    Bastard expensive, time consuming , and frustrating, but when you are trying to out power the best in the world you cant leave anything on the table - or you get beat.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    98 Honda NS1, others...
    I suggest you look at the IAME piston,that has a 5* angled edge for around 7mm that then becomes a flat top.
    This setup in a TM with a new insert ( with the plug alot closer to the piston and a very flat bathtub ) makes better power than the 4* TM setup ( same cc ).
    I was drawing and thinking of the head design to use with the iame piston on my honda and read this and got a little confused.

The flat top radius Iame piston is meant to work on a toroid right? not bathtub shape chamber ?!
    Since it will raise compression compared to a flat top and the same chamber, should I just take the some radius of the toroid to get more volume!?

thanks

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Some interesting things in this sketch of Honda NSR 2001/RSW 250 2009 GP engines.
    Staggered reed block and longer conrod ( about 110 mm) on latest RSW (Aoyama), no steps cylinder/spigot, reed block angle on NSR ......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda GP 250 NSR  Kato 2001 and RSW Aoyama 2009.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	662.6 KB 
ID:	337272  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    Some interesting things in this sketch of Honda NSR 2001/RSW 250 2009 GP engines.
    Staggered reed block and longer conrod ( about 110 mm) on latest RSW (Aoyama), no steps cylinder/spigot, reed block angle on NSR ......
    Nice pics
    I am not sure that going twin crank was one of Hondas better decisions.
    I would hazard a guess it had more to do with trying to shorten the wheelbase than peak HP.
    the NSR250s never followed the clear development path of the 500 with the inlet staying behind the engine until very late in the design.
    They also sacrificed performance and weight with the Pro arm just for style and selling road bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TZ400
    Romeu, the Iame isn't strictly a flat top, it has a 7mm wide 5* conical angle on the timing edge, then an almost flat top ( 1mm rise ).
    Thus its a combination really of a dome and flat top.
    I feel this is better than Yamaha had with a very small angled edge, then a flat.
    Due to the flat top area of the piston the plug is already alot closer to the piston than would be the case with a dome.
    So i have used a bathtub ( to get it even closer ) but yes if I was permitted to , i would drop the plug even more with a toroid.
    In the KZ application I have already established that the bathtub is better than the normal hemi shape when using the stock TM 4* straight conical piston
    but as the class rules mandate pouring 13cc down the plug hole , using a proper toroid isnt possible.

The Honda 250 had the matching oval to round transition spigot for many years before the 125 GP engine did , but to my knowledge they didnt discover the advantage of dropping the spigot centerline
    to make the floor of the duct and the spigot co-linear.
    I found that during the SKUSA CR125 spigot testing.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    none
    The Honda 250 had the matching oval to round transition spigot for many years before the 125 GP engine did , but to my knowledge they didnt discover the advantage of dropping the spigot centerline to make the floor of the duct and the spigot co-linear. I found that during the SKUSA CR125 spigot testing.
    Shouldn't that read raising the spigot centerline Wob?

Bike
    98 Honda NS1, others...
    Romeu, the Iame isn't strictly a flat top, it has a 7mm wide 5* conical angle on the timing edge, then an almost flat top ( 1mm rise ).
    Thus its a combination really of a dome and flat top.
    I feel this is better than Yamaha had with a very small angled edge, then a flat.
    Due to the flat top area of the piston the plug is already alot closer to the piston than would be the case with a dome.
    So i have used a bathtub ( to get it even closer ) but yes if I was permitted to , i would drop the plug even more with a toroid.
    In the KZ application I have already established that the bathtub is better than the normal hemi shape when using the stock TM 4* straight conical piston
    but as the class rules mandate pouring 13cc down the plug hole , using a proper toroid isnt possible.

The Honda 250 had the matching oval to round transition spigot for many years before the 125 GP engine did , but to my knowledge they didnt discover the advantage of dropping the spigot centerline
    to make the floor of the duct and the spigot co-linear.
    I found that during the SKUSA CR125 spigot testing.
    Thanks

Yes I know its a combo of the two types, I have got the Iame piston and now need to design a chamber to suite, I think I will modify a NX4 stock chamber I have to more cc..

The spignot exit will be offset then?

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    My T125 is a marvel of drilled pins, slingers and all sorts.
    I'm away from my workshop at the moment, but I think Vic Willoughby said Helmut Fath used end fed cranks on Phil Read's TD2 for double the crank life.

Bike
    1988, Yamaha RD350 YPVS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    Oh My!
    I totally love technical drawings of twostroke stuff!
    Where did you get that from? Is there a chance that there might be more? :-)

Regards
    Tim

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    this EFI project has an old school autolube, feeding into the end of the crankshaft. Shaft is hollow, crank pin is drilled ( carbide drill) so oil can be delivered direct to the bigend.
    Cable operation will be connected to the power valve spool, not throttle cable.

Name:	20180225_205348.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	337273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180507_080904.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	678.0 KB 
ID:	337274  

Bike
    TZ400
    Yes sorry Frits, with the spigot CL symmetric, the angle of the floor and roof of the oval to round transition are the same.
    ie both steepish.
    But if you lift the spigot CL upward, the floor angle straightens out - to where you can eventually make it co - linear with the duct exit.
    In this case the roof angle from the top of the oval, out to the top of the round header entry, is VERY steep.
    I am even starting to vaguely think this just might be like having a deto button in the header roof , the steep angle facing the pipe may shield the duct from infra red heat
    or the floor shape promotes return flow up the ski jump - but retards it along the duct roof.
    Who knows, not me - but as usual the dyno she dont lie.

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    this EFI project has an old school autolube, feeding into the end of the crankshaft. Shaft is hollow, crank pin is drilled ( carbide drill) so oil can be delivered direct to the bigend.
    Cable operation will be connected to the power valve spool, not throttle cable.
    This design was supposed to run carbon pistons "dry" and use no oil, hence the oil-seals on the crank pin. Designed, and supposed to have been built by a bloke some consider a genius and others regard as "a bullshitting fantasist with no business morals". Don't think it ever made metal.

Name:	RC1000 page 2 (copy 1).jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	337275  

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Then there's old school...

Name:	Petroil on Royal Enfield racers 1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	812.2 KB 
ID:	337276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petroil on Royal Enfield racers 2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	794.9 KB 
ID:	337277  

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by guyhockley View Post
    I think Vic Willoughby said Helmut Fath used end fed cranks on Phil Read's TD2 for double the crank life.
    Fath did indeed, and it far more than doubled the crank life.

Thread Information