Page 1173 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 1736731073112311631171117211731174117511831223127316732173 ... LastLast
Results 17,581 to 17,595 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by marsheng View Post
    It is lean at 6k....
    Maybe. But who told you so? Not the lambda sensor. It only tells you if there is unused oxygen in the exhaust gases. But this O2 can stem from a lean mixture, from washed-through mixture, from unburned mixture due to ignition problems, even from mixture that is so rich that the ignition fails to ignite it.
    What I'm trying to say here: you may well be right, but don't jump to conclusions.

Bike
    zuma50
    If I wanted to purchase and try one of the Bosch oil filled coils like used on the RS125. .. how would I know which one to order? I'm from USA

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny quest View Post
    If I wanted to purchase and try one of the Bosch oil filled coils like used on the RS125. .. how would I know which one to order? I'm from USA
    Sorry Jonny, I can't find the part number any more. It's too long ago.

Bike
    zuma50
    Thank you For reply

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET

Piston Issues

Hi Guys.

Well after re building the top end of the 300 and gaining loads of power with the new barrels we have a little problem. The piston dome top on the bottom barrel is caving in. Its running 16:1 comp and seams happy with advance. The plug tip is close to the top of the piston crown. Like 7.5mm from memory. It shows no sign of det. We have had this problem before on other bikes. My old setup did it as well but it took quite a while to show.

Any ideas welcome. They are wiseco piston's. I will post a pic today.

Maybe not enough advance?

Aside from that I had a good weekend with 3 podiums and a pb lap time.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    What are your plugs?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    What are your plugs?
    Spark BR9ECM. Other bikes were running the fancy expensive ones.

I think it is a combo of maybe not enough advance little bit lean and port timing not ideal.

I have some better egt gauges now so will be able to get better on track readings.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The melting the centre away if that ia what it is doing is usually too advanced ignition somewhere in the range or too hot of a plug.

Bike
    husaberg
    Sagging is caused by excessive Heat, its the what caused the excessive heat you need to figure out.
    One of the advantages of forged pistons is they will sag before failure.
    As they have a better grain structure and higher density due to how they were formed under pressure.
    They have been surpassed in a lot of applications. but not in I believe forced aspirated engines due to this advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    variety
    hey guys a very good thing happen yesterday. i get to my house and this was waiting there . now i can weld cylinders and expansion chambers or anything else. the argon bottle should be here in a couple days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150509_123806.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	437.9 KB 
ID:	311584  

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Sagging is caused by excessive Heat, its the what caused the excessive heat you need to figure out.
    One of the advantages of forged pistons is they will sag before failure.
    As they have a better grain structure and higher density due to how they were formed under pressure.
    They have been surpassed in a lot of applications. but not in I believe forced aspirated engines due to this advantage.
    Yes I think with out the forged piston it could be messy. The problem is more prominent on the bottom cylinder.

Time for a bit more testing. First port of call will be advance. The plan is to run it up on the dyno and log the egt temp when fuelling is good. Then add advance and see if that temp comes down while watching for det. The last engine ran all year with only a slight bit of sag in the bottom piston. Also that ignition curve had 1 more deg of advance.

Dave: I didn't get a good plug chop in so can't tell if it was plug but I think its fine as that was what I was running last year. But I will certainly be looking at that again. We know to get the blow down correct the barrels will need to be lowered by 1.2mm. So this also could be helping build heat.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a 10 and a fine wire while you're at it.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    Yes I think with out the forged piston it could be messy. The problem is more prominent on the bottom cylinder.

Time for a bit more testing. First port of call will be advance. The plan is to run it up on the dyno and log the egt temp when fuelling is good. Then add advance and see if that temp comes down while watching for det. The last engine ran all year with only a slight bit of sag in the bottom piston. Also that ignition curve had 1 more deg of advance.

Dave: I didn't get a good plug chop in so can't tell if it was plug but I think its fine as that was what I was running last year. But I will certainly be looking at that again. We know to get the blow down correct the barrels will need to be lowered by 1.2mm. So this also could be helping build heat.
    But don't you have a few more HP now?

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Maybe a 10 and a fine wire while you're at it.
    10 char
    Pretty sure a std NSR150 would have a NKG9 So your one is a bit more highly tuned now.
    I can't find the post but unless its a lawnmower nothing below 10 or 10.5 on the track was Wobs rule of thumb He recommended a funny numbered plug in another few posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    The old BR10EGV isnt prone to ceramic cracking at all, and the 7376 at 4 times the price of those is virtually indestructible.
    I get the plugs off Amazon as well when a good deal comes up occasionally - best i have done was 52nzd landed.
    One retailer i saw wanted 300nzd for the genuine shorty NGK plug cap for RS125, that is why I went searching and contacted NGK in USA who told me about the
    exact same configuration plug with a normal body shape.
    I have got R7376 several times for around 35USD, about 1/3 of the cost of the shorty Honda style.
    And I would never use an Iridium plug again in a real race engine.
    They seemed like a great alternative till we lost several engines in a row, including dropping an earth electrode on
    the last corner of the last lap - to take a 125 kart title 3 in a row.
    The Iridium centre ceramic will crack and fall off the instant you see even the smallest amount of deto, and the reason the R 7376 style plugs are expensive is that the rare
    earth ground strap is laser welded to the body - I have never seen or heard of one failing, and the ceramic can crack occasionally, but again I have never seen one drop out.
    Its one of those things, just accept that you pay for what you get, and buy the best when it really matters.
    Plain old Iridium plugs are a brand name, and yes they have Iridium fine wire centre electrodes.
    As I said, these will drop the ceramic at the slightest provocation.
    The R7376 has the Iridium centre, but also has a Platinum earth fine wire strap.
    The construction is completely different, and is dead reliable..
    The new type 7376 plugs are ideal for bead blasting after every meeting.
    As I insist on plug chops after every race and change the jets at least 3 times a day when doing "real "racing, reading the insulator and ground strap
    is impossible if the thing is covered in oily shit from idling around - at all.
    Jetting

Quote Originally Posted by marsheng View Post
    Finally got my Maico on the Ashburton Dyno.
    It is lean at 6k and just slightly rich at 9k. Where do I start to fix this, Exhaust, transfer ports, crank case volume? Does ignition timing change this at all.
    Or is it just typical 2 stroke.
    What we did find was that there was not much difference between 3/4 and full throttle. It is running 36 and so a 34 may be better, however, could the limitation be the reed block ? 36 does not seem overly large for a 250.
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    You should see him setting up a carb. Talk about pain staking, he starts with a main jet so big the bike floods at about half throttle (apparently this proves the oriface of the needle/needle jet combo is big enough) and then he slowly step by step works back until it runs clean.
    Most people start at the bottom with a carb and work up, He starts at the top and works backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    best bit of carb advice is you are both right, as they have overlapping circuits. personally that's why EI and similar carbs are intersting, because they don't.
    this is one of the best bits i have seen.Cameron
    http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=J...ameron&f=false
    Hopefully the link should work if it doesn't let me know I will scan it.

Pics for the Maico Bimota below for those that don't know what Marsheng is doing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tank.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	311600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RighRear.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	311599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RightFront.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	311598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mockup.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	311601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrameBare.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	311602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BimotoMaico.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	311603  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    '76 RD-400C

The mind boggles . . . .

Congrats, Peewee. Once you get a welder (or a metal lathe, same experience) you will wonder how you ever got along without one.

Gents, you all have to see this: Google "lawn tractor pulling" and when it comes up, click on Images and scroll down through the page of photos . . .

Bike
    TZ400
    Anyone that runs a 9 in a racebike is a complete Wally - the NSR250 road bike runs this heat range, does this indicate something ?
    Honda RS125 ended up with 10.5 as whenever they got tuned to the edge the plug would overheat and sag the piston centre, does this indicate something ?
    All this is helped by cooling the plug thread effectively, but nothing will save you if running a 9 on purpose - SToP IT. NoW.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Thread Information