Page 2300 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 1300180022002250229022982299230023012302231023502400 ... LastLast
Results 34,486 to 34,500 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    quote.
    "An exhaust port this high will reduce the working stroke of the piston to just 70°. Is that bad? For this working stroke: yes. But just look at what we get in return.
    The opening pressure of an exhaust port with a normal 202° timing (normal for an Aprilia RSA, that is) will be just below 12 bar. But the opening pressure of an exhaust port with a 220° timing will be close to 20 bar! Now that is some supercharging, compared to the 2,5 bar of a reflected pipe pulse."

wow thats an interesting fact... 20 bar!.... heat causing detonation being the downside....when maybe used as a plugging source.

Bike
    yamaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    That is what Jan Thiel would prefer now, based on his experience with the rear-disc-valve RSA.

Exhaust wave superposition occurs when an exhaust port opens, not when it closes, so superposition does not directly enhance the reflected pulse from an expansion chamber; it enhances the primary pulse that is entering the expansion chamber. And yes, this enhanced primary pulse will lead to a stronger reflected pulse. In a good engine this reflected pulse may have an amplitude of about 2,5 bar.

Now let's look at Y-manifolds and how we can use the exhaust pulse that exits the exhaust port of one cylinder to directly supercharge the neighbour cylinder.
    I call this phenomenon cross-charging, and it requires that the primary pulse out of a cylinder that opens its exhaust port, arrives at the other cylinder before this closes its exhaust port. This obviously requires an exhaust timing of over 180°, and because the pulse has to travel via the Y-manifold, we have to allow for some travel time as well. Finally, we want to give the pulse sufficient time to inflict its maximum amplitude on the second cylinder. All in all, the required exhaust timing for effective cross-charging will be in the region of 220°.

An exhaust port this high will reduce the working stroke of the piston to just 70°. Is that bad? For this working stroke: yes. But just look at what we get in return.
    The opening pressure of an exhaust port with a normal 202° timing (normal for an Aprilia RSA, that is) will be just below 12 bar. But the opening pressure of an exhaust port with a 220° timing will be close to 20 bar! Now that is some supercharging, compared to the 2,5 bar of a reflected pipe pulse.

The icing on the cake would be a rotary drum in the Y-manifold, momentarily closing the manifold exit when an exhaust port opens, so that the total pulse energy exiting that exhaust port has nowhere to go but to the other exhaust port.

Detail questions: how short should the manifold be? Not too short, because it should be able to hold all the mixture that will subsequently be shoved into the neighbour cylinder.
    What about intercooling? There wil be hardly any place for an intercooler, and supercharging a cylinder with high-pressure hot mixture is begging for detonation, so maybe we should scavenge with pure air instead of mixture. And that would require direct injection. Diesel and HCCI come to mind...
    Wow thats an awesome answer thank you.
    I have never even considered going that high with an exhaust port. I have a few cylinders I can try this with. I will do this and see what happens. Im guessing I will have a heap of blow down time

Bike
    TZ400
    What would be considered " normal " in a twin cylinder with a single pipe ( as simply by using a single you are by defenition creating low bmep )
    the Ex timing will be down at 190 duration.
    Crank this up to 202 and the cross charging effect adds more power than it looses due to a reduction in power "stroke ".
    Rather than go even higher ( been there done that , moved on ) the next trick is to cut the piston skirts such that there is about 3mm of exposed port at TDC.
    This creates havoc with the jetting , but using pumper carbs , they can be tuned way wierd and fix that issue.
    In my experements with World Champ open jetski title engines , the "bottom open " port is capable of more power than the other option of going REAL high on the Ex duration.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    yamaha
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    What would be considered " normal " in a twin cylinder with a single pipe ( as simply by using a single you are by defenition creating low bmep )
    Crank this up to 202 and the cross charging effect adds more power than it looses due to a reduction in power "stroke ".
    Rather than go even higher ( been there done that , moved on ) the next trick is to cut the piston skirts such that there is about 3mm of exposed port at TDC.
    This creates havoc with the jetting , but using pumper carbs , they can be tuned way wierd and fix that issue.
    In my experements with World Champ open jetski title engines , the "bottom open " port is capable of more power than the other option of going REAL high on the Ex duration.
    Thanks Wobbly I also read where you wrote that. Im interested to try that and to see how it effects the ski. It seems all wrong but I am not about to second guess you on this one Wobbly. i would love to do a twin pipe engine on the ski I am building but it just seems to be so hard to get these stay together in these hulls.

Bike
    yamaha
    Does the flow come from the crank case or go back into it . It would seem that the pressure in the exhaust is higher than the pressure in the crank case and thus flows into the crankcase, please help me with this one

Bike
    TZ400
    The pressure traces show that in a single cylinder at TDC the reeds are already starting to close , as the case pressure has already started to rise above atmospheric.
    Thus I make the asumption that the big negative pressure ratio around BDC of the other 180* out of phase cylinder , also arrives at the open bottom port , sucks like the old chrome off a towball joke
    and delays the case pressure rise .

Therefore this big negative pressure ratio sucking on the partially open port holds the reeds open longer - giving rise to an increase in Delivery Ratio.
    Of all the inherent variables such as Scavenging and Trapping Efficiency , the simple act of filling the case with more A/F mixture with a " cheat " like this has a big effect on the Delivery Ratio - the hardest
    I believe to influence dramatically by what we consider normal tuning.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets

Bike
    yamaha
    The pressure traces show that in a single cylinder at TDC the reeds are already starting to close , as the case pressure has already started to rise above atmospheric.
    Thus I make the asumption that the big negative pressure ratio around BDC of the other 180* out of phase cylinder , also arrives at the open bottom port , sucks like the old chrome off a towball joke

Therefore this big negative pressure ratio sucking on the partially open port holds the reeds open longer - giving rise to an increase in Delivery Ratio.
    Of all the inherent variables such as Scavenging and Trapping Efficiency , the simple act of filling the case with more A/F mixture with a " cheat " like this has a big effect on the Delivery Ratio - the hardest
    Thanks
    yeah it kinda makes sense. im interested to know if you found it by accident or you actually decided to try it. Its a cool thing anyway. I cant imagine its good for economy but then I dont care lol . Greta hates me

Bike
    -
    Making the reed cavity exit area into the case , smaller and smaller has been a trend over the last several years.
    Do you happen to have a rule of thumb regarding this? For example xy% of the effective reed petal opening area or something like this?
    I am thinking about adding the possibility to fit stuffers of variable sizes to my next project or the one after that.

Is it really beneficial to make the exit into the case this small (Vortex DJT)?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vortex DJT inlet.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	347576

Bike
    1988 cagiva freccia
    Blog Entries
    Would be an exhaust of the latest aprilia rsa.
    It seems improbable to me

Name:	IMG_20201027_145302.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	347577

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by philou View Post
    Would be an exhaust of the latest aprilia rsa.
    It seems improbable to me

Name:	IMG_20201027_145302.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	347577
    You're right Philou. Below you'll find the Aprilia RSA pipe, codename Tubo102, once more.
    The pipe in your above drawing is probably an early Rotax pipe, maybe model VSK150 or thereabouts, from before 1990, or a derivative thereof.
    The partly visible logo on the right of your drawing belongs to Gazzaniga, an Italian producer of underwear who ran a 125cc GP racing team around 1990 with my friend Dolph van der Woude as designer/constructor. Dolph can probably tell us more about your drawing if he happens to drop in.

Name:	Aprilia tubo 102.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	347579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gazzaniga logo.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	347578

Bike
    TZ400
    Some of the pipes done at Rotax in the early days of the 256 and 128 had some quite different designs, alot of which I had never seen before.
    Yes I think that is VSK 150 - I always wondered what VSK represented , or who actually did the new designs at Rotax back then.
    This pipe if I remember correctly we used as a basis at JL, when trying to get the same power out of fully blown manufacture , except the first thing I changed was to a single rear cone.
    We were sick of making the 180* U turn for the front pipe on the Tandem twin for Superkarts .
    Making that part front U part blown worked, but we could never get equal power by doing the rest .Hand made cones were always better.

Bike
    yamaha

Im guessing this would be even better on a case reed due to have the carb right there aimed at it

Bike
    yamaha
    Ok well if i can ask you guys to look over this
    I have a 550 cc engine I am racing in the vintage class at the world finials
    Im trying to get to the best power i can of course and here is it put through enginemod
    The issue I have is trying to get the exhaust port to make the power
    I have loaded two sta up here one is at the exhaust port at 75% and one at 70%. I just dont know that the the engine will live at 75% its really not going to go much over about 7700-8000 rpm
    I would really appreciate your thoughts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture100.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	347580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture102.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	347581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture101.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	347582  

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by wax View Post
    The issue I have is trying to get the exhaust port to make the power
    I have loaded two sta up here one is at the exhaust port at 75% and one at 70%. I just dont know that the engine will live at 75%
    From looking at your port drawing, without dimensions, it is hard to tell whether the engine will live. But anyway, an exhaust port with a shape that is safe for the piston ring and with a width of 75% of the bore, will give less, not more, blowdown time.area than a 70%-wide safe port.
    A 75%-wide port requires bigger corner radii to keep the piston ring alive, which reduces the uppermost parts of the blowdown area (the yellow areas in the left-hand drawing) that are the most important because they are open for the longest time.
    The right-hand drawing can help you establish the safe shape for any exhaust port, assuming good quality steel piston rings.

Name:	port widths.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	347584 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOS port shape concept.png 
Views:	369 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	347583

Thread Information