Page 1719 of 1719 FirstFirst ... 7191219161916691709171717181719
Results 25,771 to 25,779 of 25779

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

  1. #25771
    Join Date
    22nd November 2013 - 17:32
    Bike
    STRIKE trike
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    My suspicions lean toward faulty heat treatment leaving the small end brittle.
    Agreed. And for the actual eye of the rod to split as well is unusual. I've seen a few kart rods broken, but almost always thru the shank, not the eyes.

  2. #25772
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 17:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Agreed. And for the actual eye of the rod to split as well is unusual. I've seen a few kart rods broken, but almost always thru the shank, not the eyes.
    +1 , not tempered properly, or not masked properly in hardening.

  3. #25773
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Agreed. And for the actual eye of the rod to split as well is unusual. I've seen a few kart rods broken, but almost always thru the shank, not the eyes.
    Yeah, I've broken as much or more stuff than most - but never seen a rod break out the small end.
    Since a good friend got a magnaflux setup, I've broken a lot less, LOL
    Reason is a tool - remember where you left it..... The late, great, John Clarke

  4. #25774
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 15:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeuPT View Post
    Hello.

    Squish clearance 1.2mm, with combustion chamber designed by me. Around 12:1 compression
    Cheers

    For squish to be effective it needs to be up close and personal
    They need to just kiss and end up just short of making intimate contact
    1.2mm clearance is not squish, its barely holding hands.
    More research required...

    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  5. #25775
    Join Date
    14th April 2011 - 23:44
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha fino
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post
    When you say you had trouble with the reed valve, do you mean you had trouble with it repeating on the dyno? Or trouble trying to get power out of it?
    Of course the reed valve is a big obstruction for inlet flow.....
    While a rotary valve is not!
    And when dyno testing the reeds keep breaking, costs you half of your time.....
    The rubber detaches itself from the reed case after some time.
    I really HATED it!!!!

  6. #25776
    Join Date
    4th June 2013 - 10:03
    Bike
    2010, specialised bike
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    234
    Here's a broken small end, with fatigue crack:

    http://products.asminternational.org...rd=729&search=

    No special equipment required to see the fatigue surface.

  7. #25777
    Join Date
    12th February 2004 - 11:29
    Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Location
    Henderson, Waitakere
    Posts
    3,515
    I looked at that broken motor and "my" immediate thought was that it had the tits revved off it, speaking from experience with such disasters. The broken little end need not have been due to any sort of flaw. I've smashed a 4-stroke rod in such a way on a roller crank type engine and I've completely smashed the little end on one 2-stroke, not to mention giving the rod 2 90-degree bends and a twist, and broken chunks off a couple of other little ends.

  8. #25778
    Join Date
    18th May 2007 - 20:23
    Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    8,898
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeuPT View Post
    Broken Rod.jpg

    ... the small end top part of the rod blown up in the first miles of running in (claimed by the owner). He also says that there wasn't any strange noise on the engine before the "tic-tack and blow".
    After all your work, I am sorry to see the rod failure. I had something similar with a cast piston which fell apart when it was revved well past its normal range. The only warning was a little tinkle in the expansion chamber which I assume was bits of piston, I got the clutch in just before the engine beat itself to death.

    The end of my rod was missing too and the pin was split lengthwise into several bits, all the bottom of the piston below the rings was missing and funnily enough the piston crown was still in the bore and from the top it looked as if nothing was wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by RomeuPT View Post
    Head Shape.jpg

    ... an engine, that had several people making stuff for it here in Portugal,
    I am very interested in the head shape, it is hard to tell but are the sides straight bath tub like or curved like a toroidal? I ask because one I made recently looks similar and I would be interested in your impressions about yours.
    - Team ESE -



  9. #25779
    Join Date
    28th March 2013 - 05:29
    Bike
    98 Honda NS1, others...
    Location
    Leiria, Portugal
    Posts
    132
    Thanks all of you for replys.

    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    After all your work, I am sorry to see the rod failure. I had something similar with a cast piston which fell apart when it was revved well past its normal range. The only warning was a little tinkle in the expansion chamber which I assume was bits of piston, I got the clutch in just before the engine beat itself to death.

    The end of my rod was missing too and the pin was split lengthwise into several bits, all the bottom of the piston below the rings was missing and funnily enough the piston crown was still in the bore and from the top it looked as if nothing was wrong.



    I am very interested in the head shape, it is hard to tell but are the sides straight bath tub like or curved like a toroidal? I ask because one I made recently looks similar and I would be interested in your impressions about yours.
    Head shape has no logic, its just the athena piston is 66 and many dt users just fit it with a standard head (56mm) so the flat part is to make sure even when the user is stupid it will not be a big problem.

    Cheers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 8 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 7 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •