Thread: 2,200km in 48 hours.

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW

2,200km in 48 hours.

Having just brought a replcaement 955i , (death of the other one is a long story) i needed to go to Christchurch and pick it up, or course I could get it freighted, but that no fun.

So on fiday we headed of the airport and took the 4.15 flight to CHCH via welly, arriving in CHC at 6.45pm. Craig, who i had brought the bike from met us at the airport and took us back to his place where we sorted out the paperwork, and checked the bike over. All was great so we headed off on the bike into CHCH to catch up with friends for dinner. Getting to bed finally about midnight.

We got up at 6 and headed off to Picton via Kiakoura to catch the 1'15 crossing. So far the weather gods had been kind and the predicted front didint seem to have any force to it at all. Stoppped in Kaikoura, for the obligtory smoke and discussion on weather we could fit a crayfish in the pack rack. Decided against it. Weather was still good, but the wind picked up markedly and it become hard work on the ride through to Picton. Still we arrived, still dry, and in time for a bit of lunch before we headed on to the ferry. I was starting to worry about the ferry as it was blowing its boobies off, and I had visions of a very rough crosssing and depositing my lunch into one of those lovely paper bags they supply you with.

In the end the ferry sailing was very smooth, and I was able to take over a couch and get a couple of hours sleep.
    Arriving in welly it was still not raining so we headed north, to stay with "Bren" in otaki for the night. South of Paraparaumu we find SH 1 is closed to a car accident. We get diverted around and rejoin SH1 a couple of k's north of the accident. But only five minutes up the road we came across another accident. There was no police or ambulances in attendence and it was apparant it had just happened. We filtered to the front of the que and then it became obvious to me it was a motor cyclist that had been hit by a car. As we were let past I could see the bike in the ditch and the rider lying in the middle of the left hand lane. I felt sick to my stomach, and in fact felt very emotional taking the next few km.s very slowly and finding that my eyes will full of tears for what I had just seen. It was not nice and I was quite up set by the whole incident.

We finally made it to Otaki, and met Bredon and Jane for the first time. It was good to meet them, and a few wines and a feed of fish and chips, and of course minldless chatter about bikes made for a good evening and helped put us at ease about the events earlier in the evening.

Well we left there at 8 am and took our time heading back to Auckland, we had lunch in Taupo and plenty of stops, but we pulled into the drive at 4.15pm exactly 48 hours from when we had left.

So thats what i did this weekend ...what you guys do?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    er, wow. Thats quite a variety. All quiet here this weekend.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Excellent way to get to know a new bike.

Well done.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    Suzuki RF600R
    Sounds like a good ride... sorry to hear about the poor bike accident hope they were ok

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Tuono R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry74 View Post
    Sounds like a good ride... sorry to hear about the poor bike accident hope they were ok
    Stuff doesn't say much, and a mate in ICU said he didn't turn up in there so hopefully not too bad.
    The (dis)honorable Nick Smith, when you speak all I can hear is
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!
    So please fuck off and die.
    Go Go, Ninja Dinosaur!!

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX1400 & 1990 Yamaha FJ1200
    Blog Entries
    Excellent adventure mate, I'm doing the east coast from Matauri Bay down to Gisobourne, dont know if its that far (dont think it is) and Im taking four days to do it.....Bloody fair weather rider that I am LOL
    I ask for nothing but to ride where ever the road calls

Bike
    K vn1500
    Quote Originally Posted by raftn View Post

I

So thats what i did this weekend ...what you guys do?
    Yikes... what a way to spend a weekend.... AWESOME!

Thread Information