Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK biker (stormerUK)

Bike
    2012 Striple

UK biker (stormerUK)

Hi all,
    Wife and I been looking at NZ for a few years now.....getting a bit full in UK!.....been over in November for a good look around and....well, no need to say more you folks know. The present world financial situation means we won't be selling up until things brighten up a bit but hopefully over there for next World Rugby Cup (be able to support a winning team for a change!). Like the feel and look of Rotorua area but will depend where wife can find a job (Microbioligist). We are both heavily involved with the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists as Observers with our local group www.cwam.org.uk and I am wondering if there is a comparable set up in NZ? I ride a Blackbird and she rides a Vtec and I am starting to wonder about the prose and cons of shipping them or buying fresh in NZ. Will be reading a lot about your biking NZ on the forums and hopefully soon will not be on the wrong side of the planet.

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Well you're lucky the NZ dollar has fallen as fast as the pound. WTF is happening there? House prices are in a dip at the moment, about 10-20% below there peak of last year.

New bikes tend to be a tiny bit cheaper here, a newish blackbird could be had for around $14 -15k. CB1000R lists at $19k. The current rate is $2.80 to the pound.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    helllooooooooo & welcome .. umm for when you here

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Thanks Blackbird will follow your lead. Northern hemisphere is suffering from bad lending policies caused by USA....the old saying America sneezes and Britain catches a cold! If there are private schools who teach the road skills to attain advanced motorcycling status in NZ then who is the governing body that carries out the final assessment or test? In the UK it is the police force.
    Are radar detectors legal in NZ, like England, or should I sell mine now?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by stormerUK View Post
    Thanks Blackbird will follow your lead. Northern hemisphere is suffering from bad lending policies caused by USA....the old saying America sneezes and Britain catches a cold! If there are private schools who teach the road skills to attain advanced motorcycling status in NZ then who is the governing body that carries out the final assessment or test? In the UK it is the police force.
    Are radar detectors legal in NZ, like England, or should I sell mine now?
    There isn't a final official body to examine advanced standards and that's part of the problem. There are some national standards but they are somewhat piecemeal. Some of the other people on this site associated with training will give you a better overview. You might want to talk to Freebird on that too as he's recently been looking at the issues at an official level. To give you an example which is still relevant, I did my advanced training several years ago with a guy who used to be the chief instructor for the NZ police. He was one of the architects of the revised learner programme. He runs his own advanced course and examined me against his own criteria but there's no way he could issue me with a nationally recognised qualification.

And yes, detectors are legal, at least for the time being. They are widely used by NZ's biking community. Jammers less so (the 2 or 3 brands that actually work!) because the majority of police detection is microwave rather than laser.

Bike
    '06 Z750, '06 KDX200
    Bringing or buying bikes probably depends on how much stuff you're bringing. If you end up with a whole (ish) container, chuck the bikes in & ship them for free! Savs cost of changing etc. It will delay your biking while the slow boat comes, though. Both bikes are official imports here, so no dramas at resale time.

If you just have 3 suitcases, "sell 'em there & buy again" may be a better option.

If shipping the bikes, they have to be a separate consignment, even if sharing the container. Badger the shippers about this and copy every single bit of official paperwork to bring with you. Then contact the shippers here to make sure they know bikes are coming and they're happy. DAMHIKT.

Good luck, & happy moving!
    BM-GS
    Auckland

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Hi all,
    Wife and I been looking at NZ for a few years now.....getting a bit full in UK!.....been over in November for a good look around and....well, no need to say more you folks know. The present world financial situation means we won't be selling up until things brighten up a bit but hopefully over there for next World Rugby Cup (be able to support a winning team for a change!). Like the feel and look of Rotorua area but will depend where wife can find a job (Microbioligist). We are both heavily involved with the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists as Observers with our local group www.cwam.org.uk and I am wondering if there is a comparable set up in NZ? I ride a Blackbird and she rides a Vtec and I am starting to wonder about the prose and cons of shipping them or buying fresh in NZ. Will be reading a lot about your biking NZ on the forums and hopefully soon will not be on the wrong side of the planet.
    Wifey shouldn't have any trouble finding work,
    Labs have trouble finding staff

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    another Brit. sees the light .......... i certainly never regretted it!
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    1999 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    Hi, I made the same move just over two years ago and brought my Blackbird with me. Not the wisest choice but I have owned it from new (1999) and couldn't bare to part with it. I think they are generally cheaper over here so it’s not really worth the hassle and then there is the MPH clock which I keep forgetting about honest officer.

All in all its been a great move, look forward to meeting you
    I'm as free as a Bird, and this Bird you cannot change!!!

Bike
    XJR 1300
    gosh not rotorua.....buy in tauranga or welcome bay..travel across to rotorua for work...the old stage coach road is nearly all finished and its only thirty minutes from tauranga nowdays...but a big "Kia-ora" ..
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Will be in touch Freebird to pick your brains on your move.....soon as i get rights on this site!

Bike
    03 Aprilia tuono, 07 Buell XB12STT
    Hi there stormer
    I made the big move 6 years ago and never regreted it from day 1. I brought my fireblade over and had no probs with customs and rego etc. Dont think it will have to be a seperate consignment, i just bunged it in with the household junk. Really good idea to copy every piece of oficial paper at least 3 times. I'm in Christchurch, south island and with 1 million people in a place the size of England you soon get the idea there's plenty of space and loads of deserted roads

Man who murders other mans daughter can not expect to sit at that mans dinner table without the subject coming up.

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Hi 426crasher,
    Thanks for info all I can get I really appreciate...but then I am coming to realise that is what the Kiwi's are all about....nice peeps. Was in Christchurch in October just gone trying to trace a couple of Welsh relative who have moved house and email without me knowing. Beautiful place spent a lovely day down in the park especially in the botanical gardens. Picked up a Kea camper and spent 10 days travelling the South Island......just breathtaking and friendly.
    Looking to arrange things here to be in North Island july 2011, lots to organise beforehand. Trouble is since coming back to the UK I just can't settle.....everything seems colder, wetter, darker and more hostile.

Bike
    03 Aprilia tuono, 07 Buell XB12STT
    Hi 426crasher,
    Thanks for info all I can get I really appreciate..... Trouble is since coming back to the UK I just can't settle.....everything seems colder, wetter, darker and more hostile.
    Hmmm hit the nail on the head there stormer.... firstly Kiwi's are ultra nice peeps and the UK is colder,wetter,darker and very hostile. Make the move i'm sure you wont regret it.
    Can always send me a pm if your after any info and i'll do my best.
    Cheers Tony.

Man who murders other mans daughter can not expect to sit at that mans dinner table without the subject coming up.

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!
    Just get outta the UK as fast as you can before the nazis put some new law in place to stop people emigrating! I'm well glad I left, England is going down the toilet mate! My kids are WAY better off growing up here!
    Cheers, Dave

Thread Information