Quote Originally Posted by clint640
    Just put this up on Advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68484

More to come...

Cheers
    Clint
    Sounds like "THE" trip, awsome pics there dude

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Hi Clint640 - great write-up and great piccies - almost enough to make a girl think about getting a DR or summat - wonder how one of the Monsters would go with knobblies......????

Let us know when you post some more.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Thanks guys, it was a great trip, We're so lucky to be able to just nip across & get into so much great riding right off the boat. I think next years SI trip might have to go down to Otago - we could do a couple of weeks down there easy.

Lynda, I actually met a guy in Hanmer who was just gassing up his SV1000 to go out through the Molesworth. That road is pretty smooth right now & would be OK for an experienced rider on a roadbike, but ya wouldn't be doing 140 anywhere like ya can on a KTM. A set of supermoto tyres & you'd be good to go if they hadn't just closed it due to fire risk.
    A DR250 does make a great introduction to adventure riding though. Those with roadbikes who want a taste of adventure riding can have a fun weekend riding up to Whitianga, hiring a DR250 or 650 off http://www.coromoto.co.nz & fanging around all the gravel up there for a day, then cruising home on the twisty tar.

Anyway the next installment is up on advrider, Enjoy!

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    All of them
    Just put this up on Advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68484

More to come...

Cheers
    Clint
    You are sending this to Kiwi Rider Magazine too - yes?
    Do you need to know how?
    bd

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Lynda, I actually met a guy in Hanmer who was just gassing up his SV1000 to go out through the Molesworth. That road is pretty smooth right now & would be OK for an experienced rider on a roadbike, but ya wouldn't be doing 140 anywhere like ya can on a KTM. A set of supermoto tyres & you'd be good to go if they hadn't just closed it due to fire risk.
    A DR250 does make a great introduction to adventure riding though. Those with roadbikes who want a taste of adventure riding can have a fun weekend riding up to Whitianga, hiring a DR250 or 650 off http://www.coromoto.co.nz & fanging around all the gravel up there for a day, then cruising home on the twisty tar.

Anyway the next installment is up on advrider, Enjoy!

Cheers
    Clint

Clint, quite a few of our mates over the years have done Molesworth on their road bikes, we've just never been down there at the right time.

Have thought from time to time of getting something like a DR250/350/650 each, but it's a matter of logistics (the gargre has already been extended to hold the two cars and four bikes, no room to make it bigger) and would also want to have a trailer, no room for that. Then there's time.....we don't really have enough of that now to do all the road riding we want to do. Also it's another three vehicles to register/warrant/insure. However when I look at your photos (and those of Oscar/4skins) it does make me think.

Part 2 is another great write up and amazing photos! I'm with Big Dave - I think you should get this to KR.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    I'm flattered that you guys think it's worthy of publication, Didn't KR have an article on the Molesworth/Rainbow a while back? But I suppose if I could get a few free mags or some bike related goodies out of it they'd be welcome to it.
    I'd have to check with Mike as some of the pics are his, & I could tidy up the writing & provide more/less words if required.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Blair

Clint, quite a few of our mates over the years have done Molesworth on their road bikes, we've just never been down there at the right time.

Have thought from time to time of getting something like a DR250/350/650 each, but it's a matter of logistics (the gargre has already been extended to hold the two cars and four bikes, no room to make it bigger) and would also want to have a trailer, no room for that. Then there's time.....we don't really have enough of that now to do all the road riding we want to do. Also it's another three vehicles to register/warrant/insure. However when I look at your photos (and those of Oscar/4skins) it does make me think.

Part 2 is another great write up and amazing photos! I'm with Big Dave - I think you should get this to KR.
    Funny you should mention the Monster and Adventure riding. I was looking at (and riding) Jan's the other day and I reckon it would be pretty good off road with af ew mods...on the other hand you could just get yerself a DR.

I did have occasion to go slightly off-road on the TDM when I was down last week...

Ohh, and good effort Clint - I'll send a link to Herr McPhee at KR.

Bike
    Big Orange KTM
    Its an awsome trip, we did it a couple of years ago. Basically the same as you until the end of Rainbow where we diverted thru to Nelson and on to Okiwi bay for the night and some fabulous seafood. We then went out to French Pass and before heading home also went to the Portage.
    This was done on 250's. The molesworth rd is actually quite an easy gravel road easily done on a road bike.
    Port Underwood is a very good start to an adventure ride in the top of the South Island.
    Looking forward to hearing where you went on the rest of your trip

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I have been through molesworth a couple of times on road bikes with road tyres. It is a great trip and not too difficult. As Clint says, just a bit slower than on a dedicated off roader. Its a trip I'd recommend, and its also one of my options for my return journey after the Rusty Nuts Southern Cross Rally. That'll be on my G1200.
    Time to ride

Bike
    All of them
    I'm flattered that you guys think it's worthy of publication, Didn't KR have an article on the Molesworth/Rainbow a while back? But I suppose if I could get a few free mags or some bike related goodies out of it they'd be welcome to it.
    I'd have to check with Mike as some of the pics are his, & I could tidy up the writing & provide more/less words if required.

Cheers
    Clint
    yeah, it's good stuff mate. some nice creative photography and you can string a sentence together.
    Suggest you send the link to
    editor@kiwirider.co.nz
    and see what Mackay says.
    Publisher 'Vege' has had the Adventure Rider forum open the last few times I've been in his office so they could have already seen it.
    bd

Bike
    10 HUSQ TE310, 06 HONDA HORNET 900
    yea, big ups on the excellent pictures and great read aswell

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro

Day 4

The last installment is up on advrider now for your viewing pleasure, check the link above & enjoy.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    A Cage
    That looks bloody fun :-)

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Sorry a belated "Wow!", thats so cool. You got to go all the cool places I couldn't go.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Thread Information