Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Abolish 70kph learners rule

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
    How do you get enough practice to do your restricted? How do you get to the testing place to do your restricted?

I am in this situation, except on a double lane road, so I do not follow the 70kmph rule as it is dangerous for me, and other road users as they will try to pass in rediculous places and tailgate etc...

Abolish it! Learners should have responsibility to ride to their own ability.

Waaaaaa
    True. I always went 100 in single lanes, expecting if I got caught I'd hopefully explain myself out of a ticket, and then cruised at 70-90 in double lanes (depending on how badly the traffic was zooming towards my arse).

I still think the restriction is a good idea as you don't have the same restriction of having a driver next to you like in a car.

Bike
    CBЯ250ЯЯ MC22
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    I still think the restriction is a good idea as you don't have the same restriction of having a driver next to you like in a car.
    Yeah, true. I guess there has to something there aye.

Any old John or Fred could do the (horrifically basic) BHS test and jump on a bike and kill themselves. I see why its good to have it there.

I wonder what %age actually follow it?

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R

Talking

Whenever you are going much faster or much slower than the surrounding traffic you become a hazard and the likelyhood of a collision is greatly increased,pretty simple really.My route to work had two 100km/h sections and there where no other slower route options so I rode at the same speed as the rest of the traffic(normally 80 km/h) and never had any problems with the boys in blue.I would rather risk a ticket or fine than becoming roadkill.

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
    Yeah, true. I guess there has to something there aye.

Any old John or Fred could do the (horrifically basic) BHS test and jump on a bike and kill themselves. I see why its good to have it there.

I wonder what %age actually follow it?
    I was lucky enough to start dirt riding in my early teens so I already had some basic riding knowledge and could go 100k (relatively) safely. The average newbie just learning where the footpegs are is going to have a hard time at 100.

Though I wasn't the best at sticking to under 70 (on the whole I was good. It's just there's some nice straights in the backroads nearby), I know I was one of the few that actually bothered having an L-Plate. I high percentage only have their L-Plate for their restricted test, so I imagine a lot of people out there ignore the 70k limit.

Bike
    89 Honda VFR400
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    so I imagine a lot of people out there ignore the 70k limit.
    Cops included. Ive been let off twice (over 70, and no L plate) because they agreed it was a stupid rule. Well, actaully some story telling got me off the no L plate, but we had good discussions about the 70k rule. Third time lucky though, so id better pull finger and sit my restricted, or Im gunna get pinged (hopefully not this afternoon, due to tempting fate).

It should be abolished for sure. If you are too incompetent to ride at 100ks on an open road, then your still going to be a bloody worry at 70ks. 70ks is still fast enough to do some serious damage.

Bike
    `
    If 100 is too fast for someone to cope, then having people fly past them 30km's faster and taking stupid risks to get past them is surely too much. On a busy road people try like crazy to pass you and even on double yellow lines. A lot more scary then going 100km's is when they start cutting you off or virtually pushing you off the road because there is suddenly an oncoming car about to crash into them...
    Just "debating" your point that 100 is too fast for people still learning where the foot pegs are, coyote.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Number of Km's clocked up would be a better indication of experience, but too hard to register / prove with today's systems. I had only 2 months and 1,500km experience on my bike before I sat my restricted.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Guzzi
    Hopefully sanity will prevail with the 70k speed review. But the other side to the equation is that at 100k's 250's do not have much further grunt to get you out of trouble if the need arises. I have never held the view that the cc restriction is needed. Another issue I know but I think the two are related. I think I'm in the minority on this.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    I agree with the 250cc rule, but there should be a better way of determining if you are capable of riding something better than just time.
    I for one am not ready to graduate from the 250cc riders club, but I shouldn't have to wait 2 years.

Bike
    None at present
    I just took the L plates off and rode carefully without them.

I could do 100 on the motorway no problem and I got no trouble from the coppers as I rode carefully and within the speed limit.

Taking a risk like that is not for some as you are up for a hefty fine if you are caught, but them's the breaks I guess.
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    I ride at the speed limit carefully with my L plates and coppers don't care.
    (They do care when I break other license conditions at the same time.)

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.
    Its amazing how many L Platers ride with their L plate displayed and travel over the 70ks speed limit they are suppose to be travelling at and the Police dont seem to worry about pulling you over and writing you out a ticket. Is this because these cops are motorcyclists themselves and they dont agree with the 70 k speed limit for learners themselves?.

Bike
    Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    I was pulled over yesterday for pulling 68 in a 50 zone, The cop asks where my L plate is and I explained why i don't ever
    use mine (I travel in 100 zones daily). He "skipped" the fine and said it was my warning, we got into a bit of a bike chat and he agreed with me that the 70k rule needs to be reviewed.

This issue really gets me fired up, how does that condition increase learner safety at all? I tried sticking to it for about 5
    minutes before I starting sketching out as cars flew past me over and over without giving me the slightest bit of room.

My L plate will never go near my bike while I still value my life.

WEAR QUASiMOTO

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    Yeah but you bloody deserved a fine then.

Bike
    Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    68k down a straight 200M non residential road in the early hours of the morning

what was I thinking ?

WEAR QUASiMOTO

Thread Information