Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Abolish 70kph learners rule

Bike
    Sold
    Ridiculous decree by some non motorcyclist impulsive rule makers!

It (the rule) is not obeyed and not policed, therefore it "works". Yeah right!

Get rid of it! John.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
    As I've mentioned twice now without reply from the anti-70kph brigade, no one has ever died from obeying the 70kph rule on the open road so how dangerous is it really? .....
    Where did you get that statistic from? The MoT do not generally publish the speed that any driver was going at the time of the crash, and the statistics do not break down accidents by class of licence and speed travelled.

Or have you simply arrived at that statistic because no rider on here has answered your question by saying "Yes, I was killed at 70 kmh on the open road."?
    Time to ride

Bike
    2005 FLSTNI Softail Deluxe
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Where did you get that statistic from? The MoT do not generally publish the speed that any driver was going at the time of the crash, and the statistics do not break down accidents by class of licence and speed travelled.

Or have you simply arrived at that statistic because no rider on here has answered your question by saying "Yes, I was killed at 70 kmh on the open road."?
    LOL! Yeah, that's how a true Research Professor does it; it's all how in how you phrase the questions!

Bike
    Honda 2006 cbf250
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko14 View Post
    Sorry if this seems abrupt but I'm kinda passionate about this issue...

70kph where traffic is moving at +100 kph scares the hell outta me, and where the hell am I supposed to ride that doesn't have a 100k limit? to the corner dairy and back?

It's STUPID!!!

Aren't power restrictions on our bikes enough?

P.s. Just outta interest, how many people actually stick or stuck to this law on their L's?
    I did originally, but I have a friend, who is a cop and a bike owner. We talked about this issue, and he explained that at 70km, a truck and tailor unit passing you can put you in the ditch, so sit at 100, at least you don't lose your license if you do get pulled up, be polite and honest, and explain your actions for the speed, most time they will let you off and tell you to be careful. At 70km we are just a hazard on the road. I now sit at 100 on my L plate, but only will have it on for another week or less, YEAH!!!

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
    Abolish it! Learners should have responsibility to ride to their own ability.
    Waaaaaa
    Therin lies the paradox. Responsibility and ability. Like many 'old farts' I was a teenaged learner (16) and in the UK restricted to a 50cc Moped (max 80kph) for a whole year even if a the 'moped' test was passed. And still on L plates at 17 with a 250. I agree the regulation is a little outdated for traffic speeds. The 50cc rule in the UK was a joke. (Errrrrrr It isnt an AS100 engine in My AP50 oshifer). However, reality is even if an older rider climbs aboard a bike they still have a lot of new skills to learn. What is a little unfortunate in NZ is that 'motorways' are not motorways in the 'European sense'. A high speed road the is a direct link between cities built specificaly. Here (NZ) Motortways are basicaly 'upgraded' trunk roads. SImple rule in Europe, No L plates on the motorway, car or bike.
    You can be responsible, and not have sufficient 'skills'. Although like most youngsters, the old buggers knew nowt when 16, by early 20's? I was amazed how much the 'old farts' had learnt.
    It's a recognised fact that the male brain does not develope completely (Frontal lobes) untill early to mid 20's. Hence the high level of risk taking and highly anti social behaviour under the affluence of inkahol.
    Should there be a restriction? Yes, 70kph? not really practical. A speed governed and power/weight restriction that is incorporated into a WoF assessment? Expensive but maybe the way to go? Reality is they introduced a 125cc law for learners (early 1980's) in the UK due to high power 250's with a 12HP limit...... the kids simply de restricted then to do about 80mph. So maybe a compulsory 6 months on a GN or SR 250 type bike?.........

Hehehe! Wait for the howls of protest
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    1999 Red 955i Daytona
    Quote Originally Posted by "Rambo" View Post
    I did originally, but I have a friend, who is a cop and a bike owner. We talked about this issue, and he explained that at 70km, a truck and tailor unit passing you can put you in the ditch, so sit at 100, at least you don't lose your license if you do get pulled up, be polite and honest, and explain your actions for the speed, most time they will let you off and tell you to be careful. At 70km we are just a hazard on the road. I now sit at 100 on my L plate, but only will have it on for another week or less, YEAH!!!
    Totally agree, when me and my wife (a L plate rider) went down to the magpie we removed her L plate and told her to ride at 100km and keep with the flow..

not only would it of been her riding at 70km on the open road but mine and one other bike having to stay with her which would of compounded the dangers and no doubt pissed quite a few other motorists off in the process

I agree in the main centres to stay off the motorways on L plates but state highways and open roads should be different....

Bike
    Honda 2006 cbf250
    Quote Originally Posted by 3umph View Post
    Totally agree, when me and my wife (a L plate rider) went down to the magpie we removed her L plate and told her to ride at 100km and keep with the flow..

not only would it of been her riding at 70km on the open road but mine and one other bike having to stay with her which would of compounded the dangers and no doubt pissed quite a few other motorists off in the process

I agree in the main centres to stay off the motorways on L plates but state highways and open roads should be different....
    I still ride the open road with my L plate showing, its there for a reason, even thou I am very confidant on the open road, but when another bike comes roaring up to me, I hang to the left as a curtious bugger to let him pass. most of the time I even get a nice wave when they pass. And eventually catch up to them, if lucky and have a coffee and smoke or hang behind with them.

Looks like this has brought up the old issue...... TIME TO CHANGE THE LAW!!!

Bike
    Corona GSXR
    i think i rode on the open road at 70kmh..... once... its way too dangerous i got passed by a truck on a windy day and nearly ended up in a ditch!!! the law has to go
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Bike
    Suzuki SJ50QT (Scooter)
    Blog Entries
    yes i totally agree 70km is way to slow your holding up heaps of traffic and then they get the impression your just a slow driver which can trigger road rage and people yell at you for obiding the law?
    also its very dangearous when they over take you

Bike
    F3, DRZ400, RVF400, 250 XC-F
    I have to say that it does seem totally out of place! Imagine the uproar if all learner car drivers had to travel at 70km/h!!

I have always found it far to dangerous to have everyone passing you at 100km/h, and as for trying to stay on roads with a 70 or less speed limit really limits your ability to improve your skills or confidence.

Bring on my restricted!!!!

Bike
    Hornet 599
    Blog Entries
    Learner car drivers can't drive by themselves.
    It's a hard law. I mean it's not your right to be on the road, but 70km is dangerous.

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    stupid rule. my 50 will do that (flat on seat downhill with tail wind)
    when I get more power will be ignoring 70 limit

Bike
    gt250 hyofighter
    take off your L plate and go for it!
    my 250 doesn't satisfy me anymore, shes just not doing it

Thread Information