Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abolish 70kph learners rule

Bike
    bandit

Abolish 70kph learners rule

I ride a 2005 Gn250. Dad rides a honda cbr1100xx blackbird. He took me for my first open road ride recently. After initially riding at 70 kmph as per lerner licence dad decided that at the rate cars were dangerously passing to over take us that it was blatantly to dangerous to continue at 70 kph only.

How many people have been riding down the motorway and not felt safe due to having to ride so slowly.

The rule is put in place to make the learners safer riders, but with everybody else traveling at 100-110kph around them it is auctually making the roads more dangerous for these beginer motorcyclists.

Personally I believe that the speed limits should be incresed to at least 90kph so that we are not in danger due to going so slow.

What are your views?

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Don't ride on the motorway.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin
    I've ridden my pushbike faster than 70kph and I don't need a licence or a full face helmet or rego or a warrant or a licence plate, now that's freedom. The law is a joke and puts people who follow it in dangerous situations.

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by archie-no2 View Post
    How many people have been riding down the motorway and not felt safe due to having to ride so slowly.

The rule is put in place to make the learners safer riders, but with everybody else traveling at 100-110kph around them it is auctually making the roads more dangerous for these beginer motorcyclists.

Personally I believe that the speed limits should be incresed to at least 90kph so that we are not in danger due to going so slow.

What are your views?
    avoid the motorways and go the back roads normally more enjoyable too even at 70 kays

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    To be honest, I think it should stay. You're going on the road by their rules, and they say 70. Which means you should go on roads that suit a 70k restriction, which isn't motorways. If you live somewhere that is only accessible by motorway, well you shouldn't expect to be able to ride your bike too and from home until you've got your restricted.

Course I ignored the rule completely and was easily doubling that speed on the motorway.

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.
    That law is absolutely ridiculous and out right dangerous to all Learner licence motorcyclists. How bloody stupid is it that everyone else around you is travelling the speed limit and over and yet there you are with your L Plate displayed and travelling at a dismal 70 k's on an open road. It sure doesn't build up your self esteem while riding amongst traffic flying pass you as thou you are standing still. All it does is make other road users angry and inpatient with being held up on the roads by only being able to travel at 70k's. Any wonder why a few Learner riders refuse to display their L plate while riding as they would rather sit on the appropiate speed limit and keep up with the traffic then be out there feeling inferiated.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    The law was created at a time when the maximum open road speed limit was 80kph. One can infer the intent of the 70kph limit from that, and I believe that 90 kph would be entirely reasonable given that context.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Spada 250
    Sorry if this seems abrupt but I'm kinda passionate about this issue...

70kph where traffic is moving at +100 kph scares the hell outta me, and where the hell am I supposed to ride that doesn't have a 100k limit? to the corner dairy and back?

It's STUPID!!!

Aren't power restrictions on our bikes enough?

P.s. Just outta interest, how many people actually stick or stuck to this law on their L's?

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko14 View Post
    Sorry if this seems abrupt but I'm kinda passionate about this issue...

70kph where traffic is moving at +100 kph scares the hell outta me, and where the hell am I supposed to ride that doesn't have a 100k limit? to the corner dairy and back?

It's STUPID!!!

Aren't power restrictions on our bikes enough?

P.s. Just outta interest, how many people actually stick or stuck to this law on their L's?
    neva had a l plate when i started i got pulled over few times and neva got ticketed
    be polite and explain your situation and you might be lucky

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    Merida
    If you allow someone on the road at all you also need to give them permission to safely keep up with the flow of traffic. The 70 rule needs to be abolished ASAP. If someone can't ride faster than 70 safely they should not be allowed to ride at all and should be provided with more education/training.

The law is currently under review.
    Ride fast or be last.

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    I agree with the 70kph limit.
    The problem is that it's SIX MONTHS before you are allowed to go faster.
    70kph means you can go fuckall of anywhere, so by the time that 6 months is over, said rider is nowhere near as experienced as what they could be and they've just wasted 6 months of good riding time.
    Who decided that time that time even when not riding makes you more experienced?

I propose that the restricted test should be available the day after passing their learners test if they so choose to take it, their riding skills should be judged rather the time they spent not riding.
    I would also like the restricted test made harder.

This is coming from a noob who has a lot to learn about riding, I think I deserve a restricted license but not a full license yet..

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    You're a nub who should be kept to 70km/h IMO Slyer.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    1997 Honda Hornet
    It's easy to see both sides of the coin, as learner riders you should be getting used to riding and cornering at slower speeds so as to avoid an accident, however, you may be the cause of one if you can only go 70 between the corners. The best way around it would be to introduce a riding competency check any time after passing the learner test to asses each individuals ability. It would be immediately obvious to any instructor if your capable of the higher speeds.
    And no, I don't have an L plate on my bike, why advertise the fact I'm doing 30 over the limit!

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJafa View Post
    You're a nub who should be kept to 70km/h IMO Slyer.
    I apply perfectly to my argument.

Bike
    CBЯ250ЯЯ MC22
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    If you live somewhere that is only accessible by motorway, well you shouldn't expect to be able to ride your bike too and from home until you've got your restricted
    How do you get enough practice to do your restricted? How do you get to the testing place to do your restricted?

I am in this situation, except on a double lane road, so I do not follow the 70kmph rule as it is dangerous for me, and other road users as they will try to pass in rediculous places and tailgate etc...

Abolish it! Learners should have responsibility to ride to their own ability.

Waaaaaa

Thread Information