Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Metzeler vs Pirelli vs Michelin

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Farab View Post
    He recommended the (slightly cheaper) Metzelers: Z6 or M3.
    After I said I’d be happy with 8 to 10K km’s he said go for the M3, more stickier, although he reckons the Z6 is excellent in the wet and has sold truckloads…
    I must admit, I did like the Z6 in the wet.
    However at this time of year I never bother to consider how a tyre performs in the wet, so what if it's shit, it'l be long gone by winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Thanks for the awesome response, guys!

I currently have the crappy BT56's front and rear, cant wait to get rid of them.

Will gave alook at the Strada. Funny, I was pretty keen on the Conti Road Attacks, until one of the bike shop mechanics said he had one on his VTR - never again he said!

I would like to go for the Rosso's - just wasn't to sure what km's they would give for $400!

So, I will have a look at the Strada's. Still pretty keen on trying A Metzeler though. Problem is I commute, but like "spirited" riding on the weekends. Also Auckland being so wet...I was told the Z6's are excellent for the wet, as are the Michelin Road 2's

I have also heard that the Metzelers warm up straight off the word go. Any one care to comment?

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    Bear in mind the Diablo Rosso wears out pretty fast, the price of all that stickyness. IMO it is probably the best tyre mentioned (at least in the tests) but are you going to use all that grip in your commute?

The Diablo Strada would maybe a better bet for your type of riding. They are an excellent tyre but not so extreme.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Unfortunately I have no experience with the tyres you mention but I know of a few of the guys I ride with have and in some cases still are using Pilot road 2's and all of them seem suitably impressed, so much so i'm pretty sure that's what i'll be putting on the back next, either that or if I can find a dealer that not asking stupid money I might try the new multi-compound Bridgestone 016.

Bike
    Conti sport attack............all the rest are shit

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Mate of mine just put on a new Bridgestone 016 on the rear, he is very happy with it.

I am thinking of the Pilot road 2's - only thing is that I heard they seem to change their behaviour after about 50% wear...

I was told the Metzelers give good miles and good grip, I do like the thread pattern of the M3's!

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    BT020
    WTF?

Those things are downright dangerous.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Mate of mine just put on a new Bridgestone 016 on the rear, he is very happy with it.

I am thinking of the Pilot road 2's - only thing is that I heard they seem to change their behaviour after about 50% wear...

I was told the Metzelers give good miles and good grip, I do like the thread pattern of the M3's!
    Mine are probably at 75% worn...can't say I've noticed anything.
    See - the thing is, everyone wants a tyre that will do everything well and never wears out. When such a tyre becomes available, let me know.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Various

So now that everyone has recommended something different, has the thread helped you decide?

Any more than a search of last 100 "which tyre" threads?

Tell you what - oil, what oil are you using? It is important to get the right oil you know. Best you start a "which oil" thread just to be sure.

Or you could start a "which bike" thread, but before you do, the trick is to sit down and work out a set of impossible and/or contradictory requirements, then when people suggest a bike you can knock them back on one of your impossible requirements. See how long you can string them along for, check out Gremlins "which bike" thread as an example of a man well skilled in this type of deception, top mark to Gremlin, strung them out for ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    '06 Z750, '06 KDX200
    Pirelli & Metzeler are the same tyre with a differnt tread pattern on. Which one you choose will depend on which pattern you like. They always have tyres aimed a the same people.

Go for something sport-toury as they'll do you nicely and won't need much "warming up" - they're designed to work in rain on mountain passes and on sunny tarmac ribbons. Just get a matching pair (profile more than make) and you won't go far wrong.

If people warn you off the expensive one, that sounds like the one to avoid!
    BM-GS
    Auckland

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by BM-GS View Post
    Pirelli & Metzeler are the same tyre with a differnt tread pattern on. Which one you choose will depend on which pattern you like. They always have tyres aimed a the same people.

Yup, if money/km's wasn't an issue, I'd go for the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's, so I guess thats out. I have heard nothing but rave reviews, feedback from them.

I'm down to the Metzelers:M3, Z6 and the Michelin Pilot Road 2's, of which I'm favouring the M3's, seeing that we should be heading into drier weather (although I heard that they are pretty good in the wet, just not as good as the Z6's). As I said before, I quite like the thread pattern on the M3's.

I'm sure Michelin is a very good tyre, but get the feeling that there is some marketing hype around them. Similarly I'm picking up that the Metzelers are possibly slightly under rated and value for money.

Thanks to everyone that's contributed (and still may contribute) to this thread, much appretiated!

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BM-GS View Post
    Go for something sport-toury as they'll do you nicely and won't need much "warming up" - they're designed to work in rain on mountain passes and on sunny tarmac ribbons.
    Like say....

... the Avon Storms!
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Like say....

... the Avon Storms!
    Haha! Throwing a cat amongst the pigeons!

Had a look at them on their website:

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcyc...showtyre&id=25

Looks like a pretty mean tire, you can see it means business in the wet!

What sort of riding do you do? What sort of km's do you get out of them?

Cheers Mate!

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Those things are downright dangerous.
    At best they're disturbingly sub-optimal. Yet they've been OEMs on my last three bikes. Go figure.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    My original 'sports' tyres were dead at 6,000 kms on my Hornet.

I've now got the Pilot Road 2's - I'm loving them - only done 2,000 kms so far but f-all wear and predicting a comfortable 10,000 of hooning. Make sure you get the 2's not the older PR if interested.

The PR2's stick like a sticky thing, and what I really like on the Horny is the profile gives a progressive (but quick) turn-in that you control - none of that sudden tip in you get on the pure sports tyres. Dual compound, with sticky sides for the corners . Apparently highly rated in the wet (I have not wet them yet!).

M3's must be one of the spunkiest looking hoops around and a well rated sports tyre - you will not get the same life out of a set of these as the PR2.

IMO for your stated 90% commuting 10% hooning, look for the dual compound sports tourers. They will last longer for day to day running and keep you smiling on the twisties. Pilot Road 2's & the Avon Storms are well rated as are Continental Road Attacks which are a popular choice in NZ on the Hornet (I found these great on my previous bike).

You could comfortably go to your tyre dealer with a list of the above and fit the set he/she can do the best price for and not be disappointed.

Thread Information