Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Metzeler vs Pirelli vs Michelin

Bike
    None any more
    If you don't like a set of tyres, they'll wear out soon enough. Three sets a year allows plenty of opportunities for comparisons to be made.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Like I said...Dual compound FTW.
    Haha ! you crack me up ! And I agree with you too, Dual compound is kind of the new "thing to have", but if you choose sensibly It's not the biggest thing in the world.

Best advice for Tyre choice ? Pick one that suits what you actually want it to do. If Mileage is a big deal, don't pick a BT16 or a Sport Attack. If you ride in wet weather a lot, consider a Michelin (lots of Silica in the compound for wet grip) or a Road Attack ( micro porous compound) and if you want long life for the money consider Conti Motion - they also have a very flexible carcase (but still 0 degree steel belt) to soak up the bumps and stuff.
    Pick sizes that are right for you. I don't know what you ride, but don't get talked into a 190/55 if you are on a big bike and you want mileage over side grip
    As you can see from the response, there are heaps of good tyres out there, and no one "right" answer - just a few common sense suggestions. All manufacturers have very good tyres available, but stay away from the older designs that are generally cheaper.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    At best they're disturbingly sub-optimal. Yet they've been OEMs on my last three bikes. Go figure.
    And the OEM tyres are often not the same as what you buy from the shop, despite having the same name on the side. It has something to do with having to be able to sell them to the manufacturer for $130 for the set . . . . . . . . .

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
    ... Dual compound is kind of the new "thing to have", but if you choose sensibly It's not the biggest thing in the world...

... I don't know what you ride...
    Yep, thats what bike mechanic said that recommended the Metzelers, don't need a dual compound with them they are so good in his opinion/experience.

I ride 900 Hornet

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    im the service and purchasing manager for a rental company.we have 85 plus bikes.i know tyres,believe me.

and the thing is,it all comes down to how you ride.like mishy says,there are no really bad tyres out there(unless you look for them,but anything named wonglongdong should get the alarm bells ringing)

find a tyre you like,and stick to it.

having said all that,for pure touring like our bikes mainly do,we get good mileage out of metzelers,but for a bit of sporting thrown in(like if i take a bike home for the weekend,or a long delivery ride)we all love the Continental road attacks.
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Farab View Post
    Yep, thats what bike mechanic said that recommended the Metzelers, don't need a dual compound with them they are so good in his opinion/experience.

I ride 900 Hornet
    Yeah, highly under rated bike. Most brands have a tyre which is that good, and without dual compound. Mostly dual compound is useful if you want a stickier shoulder, but don't mind it chewing out quicker.
    The Metzler (read Pirelli, they don't design those Metzlers in Germany any more) is fine, and if it works for you, then that's even better.
    As long as you consider a genuine sports tourer tyre, and look after the pressures routinely, you should get what you are looking for.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    See how long you can string them along for, check out Gremlins "which bike" thread as an example of a man well skilled in this type of deception, top mark to Gremlin, strung them out for ages.
    Since you so evidently loved my work, you better look at it again http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=80474

FYI, I think I met those requirements
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Since you so evidently loved my work, you better look at it again http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=80474

FYI, I think I met those requirements
    The 919 is an awesome bike!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Farab View Post
    The 919 is an awesome bike!
    You would say that you biased bugger!! No... actually, there is another lurking behind the scenes The hornet is a brilliant bike, but a bit lacking in the countryside... the ultra smoothness of it turns into a yawn when you want a little excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    WTF?

Those things are downright dangerous.
    I've had no issues with them @ all, My bike was supplied with Dunlop Sportmax tyres as OEM's When they were replaced it was with a Pilot Road on the front & a Bt020 on the rear. The 020 did over 10k with no issues & only very small chicken strips

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    At best they're disturbingly sub-optimal. Yet they've been OEMs on my last three bikes. Go figure.
    Any tyre supplied on a new bike is going to be less than perfect, the simple fact is that they build the bike anything up to a year before you get to park your fat arse on it & the tyres have had that year to harden up. Installing fresh tyres on your machine will make it handle better than the OEM rim protectors the manufacturer supplied

The Pilot Road was replaced with a Pilot Road 2 on the front after 22k
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    The 020 did over 10k with no issues & only very small chicken strips
    That doesn't fit with my experience. 020s just don't stick to the road. You have to tiptoe around everywhere lest you die.

In a single week of using them (they came stock on the 1400) before I threw them out in horror and fitted PR2s, I had:

(a) a major, as in 'how the fuck did I not bin?' two wheel slide in a gentle sweeper in the rain when the bike directly in front of me, on Pilot Powers, noticed nothing but a gentle twitch of the rear,

(b) straight-line wheelspin in top gear in the rain on a major highway,

(c) shocking subjective 'road feel' at all times. I had no idea what was going on down there, except for all the times the front would push and the rear would skate.

BT020s are fucking horrible tyres.

I hear the 021s are moderately OK, though. Haven't tried them. Won't ever. Friends Don't Let Friends Ride On Bridgestones (tm).

(That said, I have heard good things of the new 016s.)
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    That doesn't fit with my experience. 020s just don't stick to the road. You have to tiptoe around everywhere lest you die.

In a single week of using them (they came stock on the 1400) before I threw them out in horror and fitted PR2s, I had:

(a) a major, as in 'how the fuck did I not bin?' two wheel slide in a gentle sweeper in the rain when the bike directly in front of me, on Pilot Powers, noticed nothing but a gentle twitch of the rear,

(b) straight-line wheelspin in top gear in the rain on a major highway,

(c) shocking subjective 'road feel' at all times. I had no idea what was going on down there, except for all the times the front would push and the rear would skate.

BT020s are fucking horrible tyres.

I hear the 021s are moderately OK, though. Haven't tried them. Won't ever. Friends Don't Let Friends Ride On Bridgestones (tm).

(That said, I have heard good things of the new 016s.)
    Ha everthing you have said about the BT020 is what I had with the Dunlop Sportmax, I originally went for Michelin front & rear but when I couldn't get the rear ended up with the BT020.
    On the Dunlops I was getting both wheels sliding into a corner if the bike was pushed even a little bit. I'm told that NEW dunlop's are an ok tyre but I won't be checking that out.
    I've got a BT 014R on the CB1300 now & it has been really good. Previous to the BT014 was a Pirelli Diablo Strada & that was also a good tyre.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Out of interest what do you use on the VTR?As i posted i am using Diablos on the TL and well happy,anything thats not shagged after 5/6 k is good on that.
    Haven't had the VTR for long it came ex the shop with a mismatched pair - whatever was cheapest to give it the warrant & get rid of the bike eh? I'll be looking for suggestions when they need replacement...

Bike
    Suzuki RF600R
    Pirelli are the best all rounders I have used.

Bike
    :-( none at present
    This is great info.... Going to Cycle treads tommorow good selection to look at now.
    If you are behind meDont ask as I am lost too.

Thread Information