Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Metzeler vs Pirelli vs Michelin

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries

Talking oh I so wanna sprots bike

That's a lot for 5k of mileage.

I'm looking for a replacement front tyre for my CB1300, I've had the OEM rim protector (Dunlop Sportmax) on for 7,500k
    Michelin Pilot Road for 20,000 k & Pilot Road 2 for 19,000k. Should get 20k out of it though, so no difference in mileage between the old & new compound tyres.

Rear tyres are averaging 10-12k per tyre. So far Dunlop, Bridgestone (2), Michelin. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the brands as far as performance goes.

Bike is used for a bit of everything except racing, a lot of the distance traveled so far is day trips, solo & 2 up touring.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    I'm looking for a replacement front tyre for my CB1300
    Avon Storms would be a perfect choice for the CB1300 and the riding style that you describe.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Avon Storms would be a perfect choice for the CB1300 and the riding style that you describe.
    Cheers for that.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Just thought I'd give some feedback.

I ended up going for the Z6 Interacts. As described in my OP, I commute about 250km's per week, followed by spirited rides in the hills with the boys and also 2up riding most weekends. The rear gave me 14400km's and the front has about 30% life left.
    So all in all I got good mileage out of them. Fairly good to excellent in the wet. Can't complain there. Only downside is that they aren't that confidence inspiring (more so the rear) when "pressing on" in the hills, 1up. Just for interest sake, chicken strips stayed between 5-10mm's. Saying that, they were run at fairly high pressures 36F/41-2R and as many may know, the Hornet hasn't got the best rear suspension. Maybe running them a bit softer (34/38) would have been better, more confidence inspiring for the weekend work?

I am willing to sacrifice a little mileage (will be happy with 10-11000 km's) for a little more stickiness for the weekends. So I will most likely be going for Metzeler M3's or Pilot Road 2's.

Bike
    None any more
    I wouldn't recommend running a Z6 rear on a Hornet at less than 40psi, particularly if you're humping a pillion hither and yon.

When you say that these tyres aren't confidence inspiring when pressing on one up, what exactly are they doing or not doing that makes you feel like this?

As you said, the standard rear suspension set up on a Hornet 900 is a bit sub-optimal, but have you even set it up for your weight? e.g. adjusted the preload after your svelte pillion lept off?

A decent sports touring tyre will more than hold its own against a "sportier" tyre, particularly when an underspecced UJM is being piloted by an average weekend jock.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    I wouldn't recommend running a Z6 rear on a Hornet at less than 40psi, particularly if you're humping a pillion hither and yon.

When you say that these tyres aren't confidence inspiring when pressing on one up, what exactly are they doing or not doing that makes you feel like this?

As you said, the standard rear suspension set up on a Hornet 900 is a bit sub-optimal, but have you even set it up for your weight? e.g. adjusted the preload after your svelte pillion lept off?

A decent sports touring tyre will more than hold its own against a "sportier" tyre, particularly when an underspecced UJM is being piloted by an average weekend jock.
    Care to comment a bit more on the tyre pressures? The people selling the tyres reckon I could have run the rear at 38 (especially one up for weekend work), which would apparently resulted in the tyre becoming more stickier due to running at a higher temperature.

Confidence inspiring: Don't know how to describe it, but cranked over felt as if the rear was going to break loose at times: slipping, etc, just felt that I couldn't push it more. At times I felt like I wanted to give it "more" around corners, but didn't feel like I should with the feedback I was getting from the rear. I'm totally happy to accept it could be my riding: I'm not arrogant or ignorant to think "its not me". I do know that I felt more confident on the old OEM BT56's.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Farab View Post
    Care to comment a bit more on the tyre pressures?
    At 194 kg, the Hornet is lighter than the Blackbird (229kg). The recommended tyre pressure on the 'bird is 42 psi front/rear and one of the reasons it's this high is to stop the tyre carcass from flexing unreasonably during normal road riding. Excessive flex causes abnormal wear pattens and affects the handling. I don't know what the recommended pressure is for the Hornet but it's almost certainly not worth moving away from the recommendation unless you're doing trackdays where you generate higher temperatures (and hence pressures).

If you want sportiness and life, you could do worse than fitting an Avon Storm ST rear and the newly-released Avon VP2 Sport front. If you do a search, you'll find my full life evaluation of the Storms and the Vipers, (which the VP2's have just replaced.) I got 7000 km from my Storm/Viper combination so depending on how you and where you ride, you should get a bit more with a lighter bike.

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Is anyone here running a Pilot 2ct front with a Road 2 Rear? I'm thinking of going this way. Thought a stickier 2ct front with a longer lasting Road 2 rear could be a good combo. It seems to be the same profile 2ctfront = 2Road front, so can't see any issues. Will the front still disperse water adequately for the rear?

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Is anyone here running a Pilot 2ct front with a Road 2 Rear? I'm thinking of going this way. Thought a stickier 2ct front with a longer lasting Road 2 rear could be a good combo. It seems to be the same profile 2ctfront = 2Road front, so can't see any issues. Will the front still disperse water adequately for the rear?
    ...Or consider supporting a racer selling ex race tires such as METZELER racetecs that will be more than enough 'stickyness' for the 'spirited' weekend riding . Most racers sell their tires after max two race meetings and as such there is still plenty of tred on them (especially through the middle) and the only reason they sell them is due to the heat cycles. For Eg, I have a set now I'm selling for 'as is, where is' for $100 ono. Should get well over $100 worth of riding out of them. 190 rear tho...haven't read the rest of this thread son not sure what sizes you were after.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    I'm running a Michelin Pilot Power 2ct front with a Pilot Road 2 on the rear of my ZX14, got nearly 10,000k out of the Road 2 I just took off the back which is about 3500k more than any other rear tyre i've used and it had more than enough stick for road riding, got a little slippery right near the end of the life of the tyre. Had a few slides out of it when I was putting it under duress but no ass puckering moments just gentle wee wiggles exiting corners under power.
    The Pilot Power 2ct on the front lasted a jot over 7000k but I think it'll come down to your riding style and what kind of bike you put it on as to wether it would last as long as the rear (Road 2), I think if I had tryed this combo on my '06 FZ1 they would have been wearing out pretty close together as that bike was easy on front tyres compared to the 14.
    Bottom line is I like this combo, bike turns pretty well, pretty smooth, i've got an idea if I were to run a Pilot Power 2ct on the rear too it would be even better to ride but I'm liking the milage i'm getting out of the Road 2's a little too much and as I said I think they stick more than well enough for road riding.

Bike
    900 Hornet
    Thanks guys, very helpfull replies, much appreciated.

Biggles, I run the standard sizes for a H9, 120/70/17 & 180/55/17. What's this heat cycles you speak of and what are the implications?

NZSarge, thanks I thought it may be a good combo, heard of guys doing it, just wanted to get some feedback from someone like yourself. Any issues in the wet? Road2 front has quite a diffirent pattern to the 2ct front. Road 2 seems to be more geared for wet conditions.

Bike
    07 Hayabusa
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    The front is'nt too bad on my bike, it's the rear tyres that i'm chewing through, that's why I think i'll have to come off PP's on the rear and go to PR2's.
    That blue ZX14 on the toy run yesterday was running a PR2 on the back and it seemed to be holding up ok.
    I had a set of PP2ct's on my ZX14 and got around 8k out of them including a trip to the south Island - replaced them with a second set not long after - beautiful tyres at the right pressure (40 psi suited 2 up riding or 38 solo). Oddly I had 3 punctures in the rear as it was getting low on tread though, never before had I had a puncture in slightly less than 2 decades of riding, never since either.

What about the Pirelli Angel ST - I've only heard good things about them as an allround tyre (pardon the pun)?
    Has it ever bothered you that Therapist is The Rapist if you break the word in two? It bothers me, especially when they suggest hypnosis.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE

NZSarge, thanks I thought it may be a good combo, heard of guys doing it, just wanted to get some feedback from someone like yourself. Any issues in the wet? Road2 front has quite a diffirent pattern to the 2ct front. Road 2 seems to be more geared for wet conditions.
    To be fair I don't do sweet FA wet weather riding but that said i've certainly ridden in the rain with them with no issues mind you I watch my P's and Q's in the wet too. I've done more wet k's on Pilot Power 2ct's and I think they're a great tyre in the wet but people have all sorts of opinions y'know, ya just gonna have to bit the bullet and give it a go, i'm not regretting going with this combo and I can't really see why you would either...

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaka14 View Post
    I had a set of PP2ct's on my ZX14 and got around 8k out of them including a trip to the south Island - replaced them with a second set not long after - beautiful tyres at the right pressure (40 psi suited 2 up riding or 38 solo). Oddly I had 3 punctures in the rear as it was getting low on tread though, never before had I had a puncture in slightly less than 2 decades of riding, never since either.
    Did you find the Pilot Power flat spotted on the rear much?

Bike
    07 Hayabusa
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Did you find the Pilot Power flat spotted on the rear much?
    Actually it surprised me quite a lot, It wasn't too bad, there was the inevitable flat spot towards the end of the tyres life, but nothing excessive - esp. considering lots of 2 up riding. Very happy - hated the stock tyres and loved the Avon Viper I tried afterwards (too expensive and short lived), really the PP was the best of the tyres I had on the 14. On the ZX12 I loved the Storms , but never tried them on 14, they would have been the next test if I'd stayed in NZ. Awesome bikes eh, I really miss mine!!!!
    Has it ever bothered you that Therapist is The Rapist if you break the word in two? It bothers me, especially when they suggest hypnosis.

Thread Information