Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic Forum

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgyiti View Post
    Ok,
    A few quick pictures.
    The silver and black pinstriping was not 70's enough.
    So the end result was purple metalflake with marble effect, gold pinstriping, matching rear shocks and a new back tire. Only the tappets, fluids and a carb balance and I'm ready. Now where's my paisley leathers...

See you on the road
    I can see what you mean, the silver looked nice, but damn, it looks good now! Look forward to seeing it in the "flesh" on Sunday. I got a new WOF for the R90S last week, so I'm ready. I had vague thoughts of doing an oil & filter, but if I don't get time I'm not going to worry about it. Shaping up to be a busy week @ work....

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    I think you are the perfect example of a classic bike OWNER,rather someone who has a pristine classic bike and hasn't a clue about it's mechanicals....but will go on and on about the correct colour of pin striping on the rims.To bravely pull something apart without a bloody clue,to fit something that isn't suppose to fit,but do it anyways.....and somehow stubble around in a fog of ineptitude while still producing a working motorcycle - is CLASSIC.

It's as much about the owner as the bike.I would rather have Tim participate in this forum than some Anal Anorak.
    Hahaha -- stumbling around in a fog of ineptitude, I like that, that's going in my signature More to do with doing everything possible to get to work without having to catch the bus...

Well, I have all the original parts sitting in the gargre, if I turn into an anal anorak in a decade or two I can refit them. Don't see it happening though!

-Tom

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Ha. I bet you don't even OWN an anorak. In fact, I bet I'm probably the only person here who does own one!
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    eMpTy 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgyiti View Post
    Ok,
    A few quick pictures.

The silver and black pinstriping was not 70's enough.

So the end result was purple metalflake with marble effect, gold pinstriping, matching rear shocks and a new back tire. Only the tappets, fluids and a carb balance and I'm ready. Now where's my paisley leathers...

See you on the road
    My 850T from the early 90's... This was the first bike I ever took to the track. That started a new chapter, starting with a TZR250, lol...

That said, I've owned and raced a 82/3 RD350lc (can't remember) too, so never lost the 'old girl' bug completely... Sadly, I no longer have one of them, maybe I'll get one again in the future...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	850T.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	112673  

Bike
    1981 XS650

classic

yeah i agree age is the only way of determining if it fits into this category, basically because if it is more than 25 years old someone has to have worked on it to keep it going!, also the word "classic" means different things to different people which is why there will always be this debate.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Ha. I bet you don't even OWN an anorak. In fact, I bet I'm probably the only person here who does own one!
    wrong

I have a hooded Parka, and a Nylon anorak Me and the missus dress up ,, and play Max Mosely games

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Guzzi's , Gilera Saturno
    Nice to have this forum going!
    I'm not fussed about definitions either, It's just good to have a place where there's more chance of seeing or reading about the sort of bikes that I like, Personally i'm not fussed by modern sportsbikes or cruisers, but love the look of old naked bikes, cafe racers and some bobbers. from the dark ages through to the 80's be they British Japanese Italian or Mongolian. hope to get some sage advice along the way.

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Look forward to seeing it in the "flesh" on Sunday. ..

It's 10 feet of deception, stand back until you can't see the crazing reaction and fisheyes

Still experimenting for another project, this puppy is my rolling test bed
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy View Post
    My 850T from the early 90's... This was the first bike I ever took to the track. That started a new chapter, starting with a TZR250, lol...

That said, I've owned and raced a 82/3 RD350lc (can't remember) too, so never lost the 'old girl' bug completely... Sadly, I no longer have one of them, maybe I'll get one again in the future...
    That's a little honey alright dude. Plenty of them around if you want another.
    Mine has 1000cc LeMans power as I find the small valve motors a little, ermmm.. lacking.
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge View Post
    ................ Me and the missus dress up ,, and play Max Mosely games
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Hmmm, somebody has been busy moving threads with "classic" in the title. Are'nt those hooded parkers them boi racer dudes?

All this nitpicking about what defines a classic would be solved if this forum was called something more appropriate like ''Old Skool''.Then it just becomes old bikes....or modern bikes with an old design.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    All this nitpicking about what defines a classic would be solved if this forum was called something more appropriate like ''Old Skool''.Then it just becomes old bikes....or modern bikes with an old design.
    Good point. I'm sure it'll head in that direction anyway.

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    Quite right, Motu. The reality is that most of us probably own/ride bikes better described as Post Classics anyway, but many folk have a need for pidgeon-holing everything...I remember seeing an article about a bike similar to mine in a classic bike magazine eleven years ago and feeling quite shocked and depressed. I felt very old right then, and even my bike seemed too young to be that old.

I'm just hoping we can get past the debate about what qualifies as a "classic" reasonably quickly, so that we can argue about bikes instead....

Bike
    Trumph Trophy
    But what about old bikes with a modern design
    To do something well is so worth while that to die trying to it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of a life to do nothing with ones ability, for I feel life is not measured in achievement, not in years alone. BRUCE MCLAREN

Thread Information