Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Chatto Creek 1,000 miler

Bike
    2008 BMW K1200GT
    The reason I asked was because I would like to give this a go and the questions related to safety and I realize now its because of my recent riding in the US. Over there, night riding at speed is a lot more dangerous than here because of critters on the roads, big critters, mainly "horned rats" as they say, but moose, elk etc etc.

Personally, I like to ride in the day to be involved with the scenery and a ride like this in summer you get to brilliant SI locales...night riding is boring in that sense, a chore. It also comes at the end of the ride when you are more tired...1000 miles on windy roads is going some, especially if you are trying to get a move on.

Oh, and fuel stops...on the LT I've done 360 miles on a tank, can reliably get 275, so thats only 4 stops max...so less time riding at night!
    Ralph
    ...the older I get, the faster I was...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Don't get me wrong, you'll still find plenty of possums/rabbits/hares/birds - birds mostly at day break - but bigger stuff is more rare.

On the really back roads, you'll come across loose sheep/cows etc wandering across the roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I believe the midday start is to give riders a chance to get to the start, do the ride and get home again in the space of a weekend.

Or maybe its because it is a 24 hour ride, so to be fair on all riders a midday start ensures an equal amount of night riding for everyone.
    Both are correct... faster riders do less night riding...but its not a race...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    GL1800

Thanks............

Great write up Guys + GAls - this event is definitely on my "To do" list.....
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Thread Information