Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: carbon fibre supplier (chch) ?

Bike
    Kawasaki GPX250
    At the moment, im working on a custom tail for my kawa.... I wanted to use High Density Foam for a core material, but i cant seem to find a supplier in chch. At the moment I have some huge blocks of High Density polystyrene that im sculpting into a mould. Im going to have to cover it in glad wrap or something before applying the resin though (as it reacts). Maybe i'll try the plaster of paris ??

If you want to try the ploystyrene, you can get it from polycut here in chch (near to Couplands on the way to Hornby). Please keep me informed on how it goes.
    После того как головка, не плакать сверх волосы.

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by gav
    You've been watching the John Britten video again , haven't you?
    lol. I must be the only one that thinks the britten is a pile of shite. Even when I first saw them driving it around ruapuna testing the thing.

Foam blocks, now thats an idea, how much to they cost and what tool do you use to cut them, or can you just use a small saw and sand paper ?
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    Kawasaki GPX250
    I wasnt able to find a foam supplier in New Zealand.... if you find one, please let me know.
    После того как головка, не плакать сверх волосы.

Bike
    BSA A10
    If you use polystyrene a hotwire cutter is a good tool for shaping the bigger bits
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    TwoSeven, are you taking photos of your progress so far? Also how hard and costly has it been? Interested in doing the same myself now

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    no photos yet, but will take some when I stop buggering things up.

Total costs so far.

$15 chicken mesh
    $6 wire
    $7 wall paper paste
    $1 news paper
    $6 plaster
    $8 beer.

Mistakes made so far is discovery process.

Didnt buy strong enough mesh - so had to stitch it with wire to make stronger and break design into small panels.

Beer ran out.

Need to use small bits of paper in paper mache. Hence I like the idea of using solid foam blocks. Much easier to do as you just cut down to shape. Rather than having to piss about building up to shape.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    What do you buy carbon fibre as? Does it come in sheets or do you have to weave it yourself?

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    Carbon fibre and fibre glass are pretty much the same stuff.. One has glass fibres the other has carbon fibres. You can also get alloy fibre and iron fibre and kevlar fibre (although probably not in NZ).

Otherwise known as glass re-enforced plastic and carbon re-enforced plastic. The latter is lighter than the former but more expensive (hence I am trying with the former first). The strength comes from the size of the fibres - so each can be made as strong as the other (although I would just buy whatever is cheap and nasty).

It comes in sheets and you need to buy the resin - not sure if the latter comes in two part or ready made - the fibreglass i've used before has always been two part.

Mitre 10 sell fibreglass sheets in kits (although I havent checked the price tag on it).

I also wouldnt bother with it until you have good moulds made or you will be chucking money in the bin.

On the subject of moulds - it was pointed out to me that surfboard shops may know how to get hold of the foam stuff - its what they use to make surfboards.

Bike
    ZXR250
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSeven
    $8 beer.
    How many beers do you get for $8?

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    Half dozen 330ml CDs the other day. Although Rheineck or whatever is $5.60 odd but too crap to drink.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by alarumba
    What do you buy carbon fibre as? Does it come in sheets or do you have to weave it yourself?

You can buy it in sheets,I've seen some guys buy it like that and make a RC car chassis out of it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha
    You can buy it in sheets,I've seen some guys buy it like that and make a RC car chassis out of it
    Well if it's in sheets, what about the curves of the mould, won't there be those bumps where it sort of folds into itself, or something :unsure:
    Also, can you mould 2 sheets together so it looks like a single sheet?
    Am I making sense?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by alarumba
    Well if it's in sheets, what about the curves of the mould, won't there be those bumps where it sort of folds into itself, or something :unsure:
    Also, can you mould 2 sheets together so it looks like a single sheet?
    Am I making sense?
    When I said in sheets I mean preformed flat sheets about 5mm thick so no you cannot bend them

Bike
    ninja 250
    Any idea what they would be worth? Hmmm, carbon heel guard, licence plate hanger etc

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    What we need is a boat builder to be converted to motorcycle enthusiasm.

Thread Information