Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: carbon fibre supplier (chch) ?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by gav
    Any idea what they would be worth? Hmmm, carbon heel guard, licence plate hanger etc

I'll find out where they got it from and get back to you
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    I'm confused to how you are actually making these fairings. Is the CF like a roll of farbric that you put over the mould or something? And is the resin used to set the CF into shape?

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    yes.

I suggest you use google and look up some sites that explain how to make moulds. There are quite a few howto sites around.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    Assorted dinosaurs
    Blog Entries

Carbon fibre bodywork

Hey there, Check my profile & if your in CHCH give me a bell on 0274225430 or 03 3492237, I'll be able to help,Cheers, Dave

Bike
    Kawasaki GPX250
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodave
    Hey there, Check my profile & if your in CHCH give me a bell on 0274225430 or 03 3492237, I'll be able to help,Cheers, Dave
    Hows it going Dave? I dont suppose you have access to high density foam by any chance? Im building my tail section but it is harder than it appears - Do you do much in the way of making moulds? If so, what technique do u use?
    После того как головка, не плакать сверх волосы.

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    I've been thinking about the foam bit as well. But i'm sticking with chicken wire for the moment.

Every time I fashion a design for a shape I like, it shows up things that I need to do to the bike. Currently I've had to relocate the CDI under the seat (i'll have to make a carrier bracket for it), the Reg/Rect has to move, but requires a duct for airflow, and I need to relocate my water overflow reservior to the rear of the engine.

Other things are the seat width at the front is 130mm and 170mm at the rear, the duct tail cant be wider than the front fairing, and I'd really like to change the ange of the frame the seat is mounted to.

All that from just trying to design a seat unit. Heavns knows what will happen when I try my hand at the rear hugger.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    See, all that just sounds too complicated for a youngun like me

Maybe if I got an AX, I wouldn't have to worry about cocking things up

Bike
    Kawasaki GPX250

Word of advice

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSeven
    I've been thinking about the foam bit as well. But i'm sticking with chicken wire for the moment.

Every time I fashion a design for a shape I like, it shows up things that I need to do to the bike. Currently I've had to relocate the CDI under the seat (i'll have to make a carrier bracket for it), the Reg/Rect has to move, but requires a duct for airflow, and I need to relocate my water overflow reservior to the rear of the engine.

Other things are the seat width at the front is 130mm and 170mm at the rear, the duct tail cant be wider than the front fairing, and I'd really like to change the ange of the frame the seat is mounted to.

All that from just trying to design a seat unit. Heavns knows what will happen when I try my hand at the rear hugger.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I started after i lowsided and lost a foot peg. When i was getting the foot peg repaired, i decided to hack into my fairing- the result was a bikini piece and a street fighter style headlight (which has been taken off altogether cos i want to redo it). Then I moved onto the tail- stripping back the tail fairing, then getting pissed off with the seat angle. So i took to the Sub-frame with the hacksaw. (And thats only the big stuff.)

Now my baby is in piece... I dont have the cash for a much needed welder (since uni just started)... And I cant ride her

Carefully consider the amount of work it is going to take before you go too far like me I think I was a little over ambitious

Bike
    Kawasaki GPX250
    .... The chicken wire idea sounds good. Might give it a go. Do you have any pics of your progress?

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    Not at the moment. Everytime I get to a stage where I think its ok, I pull it to bits and start again. But I'm not really in a hurry I have all year to mess around with it.

Bike
    Assorted dinosaurs
    Blog Entries

Bike bodywork

In my over 15 years experience as a bike 'glasser in my business 'Euroglass", I now beleive that it much faster,cheaper,easier to start with something that is close to the shape you are after & modify it to suit. I have thousands{many many years of work!!!} of molds, mostly of bears bikes, quite a few one offs & a smattering of jappas. I suggest you post a drawing/pic & then we can find something close. I have done the "glass over foam/chicken wire /plaster of paris thing & it is A LOT of fagging about!!!

Bike
    Isn't it about time for a update on progress?

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    Aint done that much. I came up with a tail unit design I liked, then decided to rework the electrics on the bike because I didnt like the current setup, then I started porting and polishing a cylinder head - have exams now, so had to put the bike aside.

Next I have to work out how to make ducts, because I need an air vent in the tail unit to cool the rectifier, but the tail unit is inside the fairing width so will need to be a low pressure duct. Dont really know much about them presently.

Thread Information