Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carbon fibre supplier (chch) ?

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor

carbon fibre supplier (chch) ?

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of designing the new fairing for my bike. Part of this is planning materials and costs.

Does anyone know if who sells carbon fibre supplies in chch. Not interested in the kits, need sheets of the stuff.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    TL1000
    Dunno about chch, but High modulus in Auck courier to your door. I have used them b4 and they were fine for me. You might want to give them a ring, I think that some resins work better than others with epoxy and kevlar, tricky stuff to wet out, if you want a true strong carbon structure you may need to go to vacuum bagging.

Check out there website, http://www.highmodulus.co.nz/default.asp

Bike
    ZXR250
    The boat building supplies store, where my brother bought his fibreglass from, said they can get the stuff in. I'll find out the name when he gets home.

I'm going to make up some fibreglass fairings for mine, before I have a go with the carbon fibre. I'll be able to use the fibreglass ones as moulds.

Tell me when you've done some, I'ld be interested in seeing how well they turn out.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Nuplex
    14 Iverson Terrace

We used to buy all the stuff from them for doing our Kart Fairings

www.nuplexcomposites.co.nz
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    cheers for that, i'll check em out at some stage.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Jolity design and manufacturing
    custom carbon-kevlar race car parts,etc
    14e tanya st ph 025331634 or a/h 3842714

Bike
    Kawasaki GPX250
    Are you going to design a completely new fairing or just use your old fairing as a mould?
    После того как головка, не плакать сверх волосы.

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    Design ?

Nope - I'm just choosing my own shapes (from memory) and some pictures I have of different shapes.

I'm also using the cheap hack student budget method of doing the moulds - currently working on the seat unit first as its the easy one, then will do the rear mud/chain guard.

Going to be doing glass fibre as well, partly because I know how to do that and also its the cheapest way of getting a faring and easy to patch if I break it somehow.

Bike
    Kawasaki GPX250
    What are you going to make the initial mould out of? You need to lay the fibre on/in something that holds the shape. Do you have any progress photos of the seat?

I noticed you are from chch -Are you at canty uni?

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    Good info folks,
    I might buy some and have a go at making a few simple little things like a battery box to start with as its not seen.
    I can work with fibreglass, even though I am really allergic to it- is carbon fibre any more complex.
    I have searched the library and found nothing on the subject.
    Perhaps someone knows if there is any how too's on the web???
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    Kawasaki GPX250
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgyiti
    Good info folks,
    I can work with fibreglass, even though I am really allergic to it- is carbon fibre any more complex.
    I have searched the library and found nothing on the subject.
    Perhaps someone knows if there is any how too's on the web???

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx3d
    Dunno about chch, but High modulus in Auck courier to your door. I have used them b4 and they were fine for me. You might want to give them a ring, I think that some resins work better than others with epoxy and kevlar, tricky stuff to wet out, if you want a true strong carbon structure you may need to go to vacuum bagging.

Check out there website, http://www.highmodulus.co.nz/default.asp
    Dodgyiti,

Are you sure you are allergic to the Fibreglass? Could it be the type of resin that you were using?

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSeven
    Design ?

Nope - I'm just choosing my own shapes (from memory) and some pictures I have of different shapes.

I'm also using the cheap hack student budget method of doing the moulds - currently working on the seat unit first as its the easy one, then will do the rear mud/chain guard.

Going to be doing glass fibre as well, partly because I know how to do that and also its the cheapest way of getting a faring and easy to patch if I break it somehow.
    Let us know how you do it and how it turns out. I'ld be interested in doing it myself

Maybe some stealth fighter like fairings to deflect cop radar beams

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    I get a bad reaction to the strands, and Pink Bats and fibreglass that has lost the top resin coat
    Red welts on the skin that touched it that ich like crazy and take a week or so to go away, like bee stings sorta
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    I will be making my own moulds - currently I am still experiementing with materials. Here is the progress so far.

Chicken mesh - is really good to get a shape with. But you need to buy the really tough stuff or it wont hold the weight of anything you put on it.

I've also found that you need to break everything down into small panels or it collapses under the weight. So my seat unit is two side panels, one seat bit, and the dove tail behind.

Exagerate the shape as when you paper mache over the top it will lose some form. Wait for it to dry then put on some more layers. Use very small chunks of paper and wall paper paste. Once this drys you can no longer bend the chicken wire.

Plaster of paris is a pain - it sets too fast. I shall try with some washing up liquid to stop it setting. You also need a flat putty knife to apply it with. Its also $6 for a kg bag that does a thin layer over a whole seat unit. This is what you will detail to add the final shape to.

Ducts are a pain in the preverbial to build into the design.

And dont anyone suggest I do it proper and use a clay mould. There is a reason fairings cost $1k each. I'm a cheap assed poly student who can only afford $10/wk on this project

Bike
    ninja 250
    You've been watching the John Britten video again , haven't you?

Thread Information