Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signals

Bike
    Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    The last time that the Mrs rode pillion with me she devised a new signal when she wanted me to slow down. Apparently I wasn't taking any notice of the taps on my leg (that used to be the signal) so she reached around and grabbed me old fellas Didn't half get my attention although there was a brief moment there that I thought she might be signalling something else but

Bike
    88 Honda CBR 250R
    Quote Originally Posted by limbimtimwim
    First time I saw someone do the circle thing, I knew what they meant. Probably saved me some trouble, there was a cop over the rise.
    The pillion also did it, it looked very funny. A bit like they were dancing on the bike.

If you were to tap your helmet, I'd think you were trying to itch your scalp.
    I agree, someone doing the circle thing would make more sense to someone who has no clue about group signs.
    Its all about having fun

Bike
    98tls&rs250
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    The last time that the Mrs rode pillion with me she devised a new signal when she wanted me to slow down. Apparently I wasn't taking any notice of the taps on my leg (that used to be the signal) so she reached around and grabbed me old fellas Didn't half get my attention although there was a brief moment there that I thought she might be signalling something else but
    Oh god I hope the missus doesn't read that, she might get ideas..... so far I just get the leg squeeze around my waist whenever I approach corners a bit too fast for her.

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Quote Originally Posted by limbimtimwim
    First time I saw someone do the circle thing, I knew what they meant. Probably saved me some trouble, there was a cop over the rise.
    The pillion also did it, it looked very funny. A bit like they were dancing on the bike.

If you were to tap your helmet, I'd think you were trying to itch your scalp.

That would be the most common Cop signal I have experienced(and the flashing headlight) If I saw someone tap their helmet I'd think they have a headache, probably hung-over.

When someone has left their indicator on I get infront and signal with my left hand, closing fingers then opening again, a few times. Most people get it.

The petrol and food signs are pretty much common sense really.
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    Speed Triple - in bogan black
    didnt know a few of those... Cheers
    There is no dark side of the moon, really, as a matter of fact. Its all dark...

Bike
    buying mx and roady!-watch this space-
    i think everyone kinda just makes their own group signals up, or as others have said just use the most common, if someone doesnt understand flashing lights or stomach patting...then their just plain strange

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    One I use too regularly is to point to my visor at eye-level,"watch what your doing you blind ****".
    Incidentally if a car does cut you up a bit of psychology is useful,hang back,make sure you`re in their mirror(if you can see them they can see you),lights on full and just sit there,bikers look pretty intimidating with all the gear on and a few minutes worrying might "concentrate the mind" enough to make them more careful in future.If they adjust the mirror even better,when you move over to get in their face again they know it`s deliberate.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Always used the `thumbs down` sign to warn of cops.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by fazer View Post
    Always used the `thumbs down` sign to warn of cops.
    Between doing that and tapping my helmet and flashing my headlight and making spiraling gestures with my index finger constantly as I ride along I can hardly stay on my bike!!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    I use the left index finger pointing upwards & going round in a spiral to warn of cops. If I'm in front of someone who has left their indicator on, will either flick my indicator on & off a couple of times, or use left hand in quick open/shut flashing motion to let them know. Use middle & index fingers to point to my eyes to tell someone to OPEN their ferkin eyes & LOOK before pulling out in front of me! & most importantly.. I raise my left hand to wave at another bike to say.. "howdie fellow biker, ain't bikes ferkin great, it don't get much better than this, & stay safe out there"!! (I'm a fast talker!!)
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by MyGSXF View Post
    I use the left index finger pointing upwards & going round in a spiral to warn of cops. If I'm in front of someone who has left their indicator on, will either flick my indicator on & off a couple of times, or use left hand in quick open/shut flashing motion to let them know. Use middle & index fingers to point to my eyes to tell someone to OPEN their ferkin eyes & LOOK before pulling out in front of me! & most importantly.. I raise my left hand to wave at another bike to say.. "howdie fellow biker, ain't bikes ferkin great, it don't get much better than this, & stay safe out there"!! (I'm a fast talker!!)
    And you must look like a spastic when all the above happens at once!!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    And you must look like a spastic when all the above happens at once!!

ferk you're a dag!
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Various
    One we use a lot between 2 vehicles traveling on the open road together is as follows.
    First vehicle to overtake checks in front and behind them, indicates right overtakes, indicates left and pulls back into the original lane then cancels their indicator i.e. normal overtake proceedure. Then if the road ahead is clear front vehicle puts their right indicator on to let your mate know that the road is still clear. If the road ahead is no longer clear or a vehicle comes into view, use the left indicator to signal this.

Caveats
    1) The trailing rider or vehicle should only move if THEY are comfortable with the situation.
    1) Only use this with those you REALLY trust.
    1) Only trust the signal if the pattern is followed exactly i.e. If the front vehicle indicates right and overtakes, pulls in and leaves their right indicator on throughout the whole procedure assume they have fucked up and don't rely on them.

I usually get jeers from those, whom haven't tried it, but it can quicken your trip considerably and it is actually a lot safer because you know what is ahead of you if you are the trailing vehicle, and the trailing vehicle doesn't wind up taking unnecessary risks just to keep up.

It is particularly effective with cars given their slower acceleration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    1976 Goldwing GL1000; 1989 Yamaha XT600
    A few good ideas here, thanks
    If you can't be good, be good at it

Bike
    Hornetto - No Boring Bits!, KDX200
    Quote Originally Posted by moko View Post
    One I use too regularly is to point to my visor at eye-level,"watch what your doing you blind ****".
    Incidentally if a car does cut you up a bit of psychology is useful,hang back,make sure you`re in their mirror(if you can see them they can see you),lights on full and just sit there,bikers look pretty intimidating with all the gear on and a few minutes worrying might "concentrate the mind" enough to make them more careful in future.If they adjust the mirror even better,when you move over to get in their face again they know it`s deliberate.
    I did a similar one this morning. Dickhead didnt see me coming straight through on a green light, coming from my left on a give way and just kept rolling out in front of me. luckily i saw him doing it, as i had to brake rather firmly. gave him a good blast on the horn and saw him look in the rear view then try to pretend he didnt see or hear me. so i just sat in behind him, staring at him the whole way. followed him for a couple of turns (happened to be the way i was going anyway, not stalking him), and before long i think i could just about smell the mess in his pants when he kept going slower and pulling further left and i just stayed right behind him staring at him. he eventually pulled over to a stop just at the corner of my turnoff, he must've thought i was gonna get off and knock his block off or something :-D
    a little psychology goes a long way in my books

The good ol index and middle finger to the visor, then point at the cager generally does the trick if you're behind them and they see you in the mirror. if there's two lanes and you can pull up next to them (SAFELY of course) the ol rev, stare, partially open hand hanging in the air in front of you as if to say "What the fuck?!" also seems to be universally understood. Still not as universal as the middle finger and a twist of the throttle tho
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
    Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

Thread Information