Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Signals

Bike
    1996 ZX7R
    [QUOTE=The Stranger;802210]One we use a lot between 2 vehicles traveling on the open road together is as follows.
    First vehicle to overtake checks in front and behind them, indicates right overtakes, indicates left and pulls back into the original lane then cancels their indicator i.e. normal overtake proceedure. Then if the road ahead is clear front vehicle puts their right indicator on to let your mate know that the road is still clear. If the road ahead is no longer clear or a vehicle comes into view, use the left indicator to signal this.

Used that in a cage a lot years ago (30+ mumble) but with the volume of traffic now and the proliferation of cops u-turning I would hate to put a mates life in danger.

Re the upward pointing and rotating finger to signify a cop ahead, this started when cop cars (EH Holden era) had a single light on the roof. I find this still works well today.
    Caution is not a substitute for skill :no

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    One we use a lot between 2 vehicles traveling on the open road together is as follows.
    First vehicle to overtake checks in front and behind them, indicates right overtakes, indicates left and pulls back into the original lane then cancels their indicator i.e. normal overtake proceedure. Then if the road ahead is clear front vehicle puts their right indicator on to let your mate know that the road is still clear. If the road ahead is no longer clear or a vehicle comes into view, use the left indicator to signal this.

Caveats
    1) The trailing rider or vehicle should only move if THEY are comfortable with the situation.
    1) Only use this with those you REALLY trust.
    1) Only trust the signal if the pattern is followed exactly i.e. If the front vehicle indicates right and overtakes, pulls in and leaves their right indicator on throughout the whole procedure assume they have fucked up and don't rely on them.

I usually get jeers from those, whom haven't tried it, but it can quicken your trip considerably and it is actually a lot safer because you know what is ahead of you if you are the trailing vehicle, and the trailing vehicle doesn't wind up taking unnecessary risks just to keep up.

It is particularly effective with cars given their slower acceleration.
    Dangerous stuff,you should never blindly follow anyone on the road,no matter how much you trust them.If you're watching someone else's riding rather than concentrating on your own you shouldn't be on the road,watch the bloody road ahead for fucks sake and make your decisions on what YOU see and think,not what anyone else says,no matter how well-meaning.I only ride with people I know and trust anyway but I'd never let anyone else's opinion on what might or might not be safe colour my own thoughts.Good riders don't feel the need to "keep up" if it means compromising their own safety,and letting someone else assess any possible risk that just might get you killed is doing just that.What you do can easily confuse other traffic,never a good idea for a number of reasons and as you admit people can get it wrong...which might get someone badly hurt or at the very least mightily piss off other road users.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by moko View Post
    Dangerous stuff,you should never blindly follow anyone on the road,no matter how much you trust them.
    What on earth made you think I was advocating blindly following the person in front or just over taking because their indicator was on?
    No way - people should use their own brains and make their own decisions.

If you're watching someone else's riding rather than concentrating on your own you shouldn't be on the road,watch the bloody road ahead for fucks sake and make your decisions on what YOU see and think,not what anyone else says,no matter how well-meaning.
    If a bike is in front and you are looking where you are going you are going to see them, if not, you need to sort out your riding in a big hurry.

I only ride with people I know and trust anyway but I'd never let anyone else's opinion on what might or might not be safe colour my own thoughts.Good riders don't feel the need to "keep up" if it means compromising their own safety,and letting someone else assess any possible risk that just might get you killed is doing just that.What you do can easily confuse other traffic,never a good idea for a number of reasons and as you admit people can get it wrong...which might get someone badly hurt or at the very least mightily piss off other road users.
    At no time was I suggesting you abandon common sense.
    So did you actually try this method or just take the usual KB position and knock it from a position of ignorance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    I wouldn't try your method because as I've already said I reckon it's dangerous.Take your point about "watching" the bike in front though,what I should have said was "focussing",common thing taught to Brit learners is "where you're looking is where you're heading for".
    As you say,and I said,people should use their own brains,make their own decisions...so what's the point of your "method",at best irrelavent given what you've said,at worst dangerous,certainly a distraction.If I ride with others I'm constantly aware of what they're doing,where they are e.t.c. but certainly wouldn't be signalling what was ahead,wouldn't ride with anyone who either needed that kind of assistance or thought I did.
    Position of ignorance?What makes you say that? I've been riding 12 months of the year for 33 years in all weathers,snow,fog,ice and hail included,reckon I know a bit about how it's done by now.After all,"Good judgement comes from experience".

Bike
    Various
    I wouldn't try your method because as I've already said I reckon it's dangerous.Take your point about "watching" the bike in front though,what I should have said was "focussing",common thing taught to Brit learners is "where you're looking is where you're heading for".
    As you say,and I said,people should use their own brains,make their own decisions...so what's the point of your "method",at best irrelavent given what you've said,at worst dangerous,certainly a distraction.If I ride with others I'm constantly aware of what they're doing,where they are e.t.c. but certainly wouldn't be signalling what was ahead,wouldn't ride with anyone who either needed that kind of assistance or thought I did.
    Position of ignorance?What makes you say that? I've been riding 12 months of the year for 33 years in all weathers,snow,fog,ice and hail included,reckon I know a bit about how it's done by now.After all,"Good judgement comes from experience".
    So you haven't tried it ergo you are ignorant of it's usefulness or otherwise.
    This is the position of ignorance to which I refer.

This method was taught to me by a driving instructor of many years experience (at least 10 to my knowledge). Repeating 1yrs experience for 33yrs does not equate to 33yrs experience. Judging by your closed mind, it appears you may well have stopped learning some time ago. Beating your chest proves nothing.

The point in this method is the significant increase in safety gained from effectively having a set of eyes 100m or more in front of you, I realised that takes a lot of imagination for someone who's got a closed mind and been doing the same thing over and over for the last 33yrs, but maybe, just maybe you could try something new and hey, you may even like it.
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Another good one to know: Waving them to pass you and when they pass you, you point to your crotch in an up/down motion.

Translation - I'm cool, I'm just gonna pull over for a piss. I'll catch up.

Just one I picked up a few weeks ago lol.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    Hornetto - No Boring Bits!, KDX200
    Quote Originally Posted by LLAMA SOLA View Post
    Another good one to know: Waving them to pass you and when they pass you, you point to your crotch in an up/down motion.

Better be careful who you do that one to.
    Just imagined it, and all i can think is "There's a party in my pants, and you're invited " "Jump on here and go for a ride " etc, etc, etc...

Could get a fulla a good ol slap at the next pit stop, or even worse get followed home by a rough trick named jim...
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
    Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger8 View Post
    Better be careful who you do that one to.
    Just imagined it, and all i can think is "There's a party in my pants, and you're invited " "Jump on here and go for a ride " etc, etc, etc...

Could get a fulla a good ol slap at the next pit stop, or even worse get followed home by a rough trick named jim...
    Well it was amongst friends it was with.

And getting them to pull up beside you and trying to yell out to them while you are both on cruisers with aftermarket, custom or modded pipes is impossible!
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    GSF1200sk3, DR650k6
    Blog Entries
    will anyone really have the time to try to do aerobics while there riding ..
    I understand the point you putting across ,but other than a simple stopping or turning or waving people on thru ,Its looking like a hard thing to keep in your mind

Bike
    GSF1200sk3, DR650k6
    Blog Entries

id be riding just fast enough to keep away from you with a guesture like that

Bike
    Hornetto - No Boring Bits!, KDX200
    Well it was amongst friends it was with.

And getting them to pull up beside you and trying to yell out to them while you are both on cruisers with aftermarket, custom or modded pipes is impossible!
    Friendly friends eh?

You'll just have to learn the push-bike racers trick, tuck it out your left pantleg and go for gold in the gutter as you keep rolling. Might be a bit tough in pants as opposed to bike shorts tho!

incidentally, that is a pretty good signal, i just cant resist a good piss take!
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
    Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    The point in this method is the significant increase in safety gained from effectively having a set of eyes 100m or more in front of you, I realised that takes a lot of imagination for someone who's got a closed mind and been doing the same thing over and over for the last 33yrs, but maybe, just maybe you could try something new and hey, you may even like it.
    In my opinion there is no point,otherwise I'd happily try it.If you can't handle other people's opinions maybe you're in the wrong place.Closed mind,same thing over and over for 33 years?Have we met?I'll spare you the life story but you're very,very wide of the mark on both.Outside of the personal stuff,which I'll refrain from replying to in kind, I've offered an opinion,put something up here and rightly or wrongly not everyone's going to agree with you,if they did there would be very little point.

Bike
    Various
    In my opinion there is no point,otherwise I'd happily try it.If you can't handle other people's opinions maybe you're in the wrong place.
    So you freely accept that your opinion is uninformed (as you will not try it) and you will not try it.

You advise that I should move on as I don't redily accept uninformed opinion over fact. Oh well, whatever works for you I guess, me, I'll stick to fact over opinion any day.

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Now it's "uninformed" opinion...and I apparently freely accept it as such,more supposition.
    This from the NZ Road Code

"Signals enable you to tell other road users that you are changing your direction or position on the road. Because of this, knowing when and how to give signals is a very important part of being a safe driver."

If you use your indicators to signal anything else you're confusing other road users and possibly causing a dangerous situation,that's fact.

Bike
    Various
    This from the NZ Road Code

"Signals enable you to tell other road users that you are changing your direction or position on the road. Because of this, knowing when and how to give signals is a very important part of being a safe driver."
    Well of course signalling is a very important part of being a safe driver - this is after all what I am advocating. Signalling for the sake of safety.

If you use your indicators to signal anything else you're confusing other road users and possibly causing a dangerous situation,that's fact.

Yes, it could cause a dangerous situation, so could any number of things, including getting on your bike in the morning, like everything in life it does require a modicum of common sense. So we should avoid anything that could "possibly cause" a dangerous situation?
    You should come work for our government, they'd love you.

Thread Information