Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Signals

Bike
    Triumph Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    One we use a lot between 2 vehicles traveling on the open road together is as follows.
    First vehicle to overtake checks in front and behind them, indicates right overtakes, indicates left and pulls back into the original lane then cancels their indicator i.e. normal overtake proceedure. Then if the road ahead is clear front vehicle puts their right indicator on to let your mate know that the road is still clear. If the road ahead is no longer clear or a vehicle comes into view, use the left indicator to signal this.

Caveats
    1) The trailing rider or vehicle should only move if THEY are comfortable with the situation.
    1) Only use this with those you REALLY trust.
    1) Only trust the signal if the pattern is followed exactly i.e. If the front vehicle indicates right and overtakes, pulls in and leaves their right indicator on throughout the whole procedure assume they have fucked up and don't rely on them.

I usually get jeers from those, whom haven't tried it, but it can quicken your trip considerably and it is actually a lot safer because you know what is ahead of you if you are the trailing vehicle, and the trailing vehicle doesn't wind up taking unnecessary risks just to keep up.

It is particularly effective with cars given their slower acceleration.
    I also do this with my dad and his mate (only ones I trust!) does help alot.....they put their right foot out though and thats to tell me im good to go.......or dad knows if Im a car behind Ill go to pass when he does the one infront....basic really if he can pass on a harley I can take a car as well....works well as stated above as Im always last as my bikes faster than theirs and I can catch up better........
    --------------------------------------------------------

ANSWER = ID RATHER BE RIDING!
    ------------------------------------------------------

Bike
    Triumph Sprint
    Also something u havent thought of moko is that two eyes are always better than one. In some instances I have thought to pass and not seen the leg and noted road kill that dad saw before me etc. I do not pass blindly or without thought and wouldnt trust any person that did it. We toured the nrth island for two weeks and used this alot to keep together and never had an incident. Like stranger said in his first post very clearly it is not for all and every occasion.
    --------------------------------------------------------

ANSWER = ID RATHER BE RIDING!
    ------------------------------------------------------

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500

Right Leg Out

Most of the signals metioned here make a lot of common sence, yet the only one has had little mention.
    Kick out your right leg to signal the following rider you wish him to pass.
    I feel that this is really good for group riding, as at time you may find yourself at the front end of a pack that wants to ride faster than you.
    I do not enjoy the sensation of another rider sitting on my butt, almost as an intimadation to go faster.
    By kicking my right leg out and forward, I signal him that I want him to pass.
    This could also save a lot of stress for learners who dont want to go as fast but feel expected too because they are in a pack.
    I guess its part of the " ride to the conditions and your ability" saftey margine.
    On a long group ride , I enjoy the excitement of tight corners, but I know my ride is not as nimbile as some around me, so by pulling to the left of the road, kicking out my right foot, I want the rider behind me to pass.
    A very simple easy to read signal, that allows slower or less confident riders to fall of the pace and back into their comfort zone.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    Most of the signals metioned here make a lot of common sence, yet the only one has had little mention.
    Kick out your right leg to signal the following rider you wish him to pass.
    I feel that this is really good for group riding, as at time you may find yourself at the front end of a pack that wants to ride faster than you.
    I do not enjoy the sensation of another rider sitting on my butt, almost as an intimadation to go faster.
    By kicking my right leg out and forward, I signal him that I want him to pass.
    This could also save a lot of stress for learners who dont want to go as fast but feel expected too because they are in a pack.
    I guess its part of the " ride to the conditions and your ability" saftey margine.
    On a long group ride , I enjoy the excitement of tight corners, but I know my ride is not as nimbile as some around me, so by pulling to the left of the road, kicking out my right foot, I want the rider behind me to pass.
    A very simple easy to read signal, that allows slower or less confident riders to fall of the pace and back into their comfort zone.
    Sometimes, usually at the start of a ride, I kick out my leg to loosen a tight pant leg, so I would not want to use this to as a signal. What I usually do is to pull over to the left and wave my left arm while slowing down - the rider behind me has always understood and passes. If I am going slow and safe, I'll wave my right hand with the clutch in. Or sometimes I also blink the left turn signal once or twice - but not with other traffic around.

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    And miming holding a glass seems to work well for stop for a beer at the next pub ... even without the need to actually gesture for some
    Telepathy for the beer, don't need no hand signals for a wet one.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Speedmaster
    Geeeze All this waving of body parts bringing me out in a sweat

Bike
    Custom Nifty-Fiity. SR71

hahahaha

I'm only a newbie but I reckon the finger twirling is better than a flash of headlights too. Can be done with the left hand as well if cornering and better to stay on the throttle. Every biker watches an oncoming bike cos imo its just nice to see other bikers on the road. A wave or a nod is good ettiqutte ( i.e thanks for not crossing the centreline somewhere stupid cos we ALL like overtaking ) Pointing at the road is good to say "slow down, the surface is fuct" especially if the poor dude is fllying into sum roadworks

Bike
    TL1000S
    I've been on many group rides and we never had a problem having to use hand signals, not ever.

Bike
    kawasaki ZZR600
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    One we use a lot between 2 vehicles traveling on the open road together is as follows.
    First vehicle to overtake checks in front and behind them, indicates right overtakes, indicates left and pulls back into the original lane then cancels their indicator i.e. normal overtake proceedure. Then if the road ahead is clear front vehicle puts their right indicator on to let your mate know that the road is still clear. If the road ahead is no longer clear or a vehicle comes into view, use the left indicator to signal this.

Caveats
    1) The trailing rider or vehicle should only move if THEY are comfortable with the situation.
    1) Only use this with those you REALLY trust.
    1) Only trust the signal if the pattern is followed exactly i.e. If the front vehicle indicates right and overtakes, pulls in and leaves their right indicator on throughout the whole procedure assume they have fucked up and don't rely on them.

I usually get jeers from those, whom haven't tried it, but it can quicken your trip considerably and it is actually a lot safer because you know what is ahead of you if you are the trailing vehicle, and the trailing vehicle doesn't wind up taking unnecessary risks just to keep up.

It is particularly effective with cars given their slower acceleration.
    ive seen trucks do this in the middle of the night to let the next truck no its safe to cut a corner

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by What? View Post
    Need gas is good, need food is good, gidday is good, cop ahead is good, but other than that, if I want a conversation on the road, I will take the car.

you swore
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by road king View Post
    ive seen trucks do this in the middle of the night to let the next truck no its safe to cut a corner
    trucks have there own signals but never seen that one

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    "Point forward, shrug shoulders - I don't know where we're going, I probably shouldn't be leading!"

^^haha i love this

"Tap top of helmet, or hand on helmet - Cop nearby" Don't see this all too often. (actually only seen it once) One guy simulated a siren above his helmet once

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by AE4ME View Post
    "Point forward, shrug shoulders - I don't know where we're going, I probably shouldn't be leading!"

^^haha i love this
    Kinda happened one time on a group ride, we were two up and heading into 'road works' area slightly downhill when, in an instant, I heard/felt the front wheel start to wash, I just let go of everything and let the bike do it's thing (the opposite of a natural reaction) as I so happened, there was and exit road to a small bay which had a big tree to the left, I missed everything, and those behind me, were following me. I could only shrug and shake my head, followed by a sigh of relief and a tiny wha hoo.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Between doing that and tapping my helmet and flashing my headlight and making spiraling gestures with my index finger constantly as I ride along I can barely stay on my hardly!!
    fixed that for ya

Bike
    None Yet
    What is the universal signal to notify another rider they left the turn signal on?

I was behind another rider for 5 minutes or so, entire time his indicator was blinking away.
    After overtaking him, I figure I'd try to let him know, by emulating some blinking motion with thumb and fingers.

I think he didn't get the message and got offended. (I got a WTF signal back in return.)

Thread Information