Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signals

Bike
    CB1300

Signals

Hi all just thought this link may be an interesting conversation starter about better communications when on group rides.

Any comments?
    Do we already have some signals I just don't know about?

Signals

some other interesting if somewhat opinionated stuff about maintenance etc on other pages in this website.

PS The signals are at the bottom of the page.

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    That's good to know, just common sense stuff mostly.

Will remember that for when I do some group stuff with the gang
    /end communication

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Need gas is good, need food is good, gidday is good, cop ahead is good, but other than that, if I want a conversation on the road, I will take the car.
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    gone
    How about some good signed insults then?

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    problem with the 'cop' signal listed there (left hand waving down parallel to the ground) is that on NZ roads, you won't see the other riders hand waving to slow you down. I prefer the flashing of headlights... its universal between cars as well as bikes and also gives you more warning.

I use signals quite a bit in traffic to try and indicate to car drivers (usually) that they've forgotten to turn their lights on. my little guide is.

move of to the side of the front of the vehicle, point at vehicle headlights, make opening gesture (similar to opening and closing a sock puppets mouth).

"turn your headlights on". Some motorists get it straight away.... some female drivers on the other hand still probably haven't turned them on!

tap side of head vigourously

"You Pillock! are you insane!?" most car drivers seem to carefully ignore that one.

Raised forearm

"I do believe that light was RED!!!" again.. that one gets ignored

Bike
    CB1300
    Originally posted by georgedubyabush
    How about some good signed insults then?
    I believe the bird is fairly universal.

Making wanking gestures in front of the forehead tends to be a fairly universal way of calling some one a dickhead

And miming holding a glass seems to work well for stop for a beer at the next pub ... even without the need to actually gesture for some

Bike
    CB1300
    Originally posted by Coldkiwi
    problem with the 'cop' signal listed there (left hand waving down parallel to the ground) is that on NZ roads, you won't see the other riders hand waving to slow you down. I prefer the flashing of headlights... its universal between cars as well as bikes and also gives you more warning.

Hate to state the obvious but it is excellent for warning kk types who are just winding up behind you oblivious to the cop car in front of you

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    A steel bar through the windscreen normally gets an errant cars attention...........
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Normally, yes. Sadly, such subtlety is lost on some...
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    i should add there are another two I use

Waved hand as overtaking car

"Thanks for shifting over but did you really think I'd be trying to do that if I was relying on you to move?"

Flat hand raised vertically

"Sorry! didn't really mean to cut you up/barge in quite so much"... this is usually followed by a swift attempt to sod off so the driver doesn't entertain thoughts of complaining about me or get a chance to fume about the biker holding them up! (what can I say, I'm human and make mistakes sometimes)

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

All good points.

Point to tank. I need gas, stop at the next station

Pat stomach. I'm hungry. We need to stop for food soon

Point at ground
    [with either finger or toe]. Careful, there's something on the road.
    (Note that you aren't pointing at the hazard necessarily, as this might not be convenient).

Tap top of helmet, or hand on helmet Cop nearby (OR, read below)

Point forward, shrug shoulders I don't know where we're going, I probably shouldn't be leading!

Little wave to oncoming motorcyclist. Aren't motorcycles great?

ColdKiwi, what cop signal are you talking about? The one in the signal table listed is a tap on the helmet. I've never used that though, I use my right hand (yes, take it off the throttle) making a pointing motion with my index finger and make continous circles while pointing upwards, as if to emulate a revolving police light. Thats what someone suggested to me, and I've been using that on the roads since. Is the hand on helmet or tapping helmet more universal?

The signals I've pasted are the most commonly used ones imo. The problem is that it would be very difficult to get all motorcyclists to learn and use these. At least with KB, all people on here could make an effort.

I also use the wave (thanks for letting me past, not that I needed you to hehehe) and the steady hand (sorry for pushing in, please don't *555 my arse or try ramming me and chase me, like I experienced recently )

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Some good oldies in there but the cop one is new to me, mostly though I have only used the stops and obstacles, and sometimes the road sign ones. Useful but dont get carried away with the things, pays to know who you are riding with too.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    would be useful for a group who knows each other well and can learn the signs together.
    more blatantly obvious ones for big groups who are unfamiliar, like the flashing of headlights for cops ahead. have also overtaken a bike on a group run who still had their indicator flashing and flicked mine on and then off to both directions to let them know. couldnt figure out anything else that would work, lol.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneChucker
    Tap top of helmet, or hand on helmet Cop nearby (OR, read below)
    ColdKiwi, what cop signal are you talking about? The one in the signal table listed is a tap on the helmet. I've never used that though, I use my right hand (yes, take it off the throttle) making a pointing motion with my index finger and make continous circles while pointing upwards, as if to emulate a revolving police light. Thats what someone suggested to me, and I've been using that on the roads since. Is the hand on helmet or tapping helmet more universal?
    First time I saw someone do the circle thing, I knew what they meant. Probably saved me some trouble, there was a cop over the rise.
    The pillion also did it, it looked very funny. A bit like they were dancing on the bike.

If you were to tap your helmet, I'd think you were trying to itch your scalp.

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by limbimtimwim
    If you were to tap your helmet, I'd think you were trying to itch your scalp.
    I think that the on the other bike is calling me a nutter
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Thread Information