Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: XR650r owners' thread

Bike
    2004, Husqvarna TE450
    Cynna
    Are you still looking for an ignition key? If so Check this out. I've got a UK ebay account and am getting a few bits and pieces sent over from the UK very soon and could buy that for you. I'm in Chch at the moment so you could pick it up when it arrives. (Offer conditional to letting the XR400's on this tread as well!!).

I've just bought a XR400 off trademe (my 2nd) looking forward to putting all my go faster goodies on it and taking it for a spin will post some pics when arrives

Bike
    3 black ones
    yes i ended up getting one from ebay in the states. the one you found tho would have been more ideal tho - it is more visible to thieves. the one i got sits in between the radiator shroud and tank so unless you are looking for it you cant see it.

even tho they are simple enough to override to someone that knows what they are doing at least they may slow them down. i have an old DR ignition that im going to mount in the same way as the one in that link just so i have something visible and just wire it in to nothing

thanks for the offer tho monchopper - will have to keep an eye out for another xr400 on the road. i saw one a few weeks ago at lyttleton and then again a couple of days later at new brighton

and i still havent got round to changing the thread title to include all xr's...... will get round to finding out how tho

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Pigs can fly (sort of)

Had a fun ride yesterday - did about 100km out some back roads across the Hikurangi swamp to a mate who has an MX track on his farm. This is what I like about big XRs - you can do gravel, seal, dirt and pretend MX and it's all huge fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070071.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	514.3 KB 
ID:	116442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070052.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	409.6 KB 
ID:	116443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070062.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	573.5 KB 
ID:	116444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070063.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	590.7 KB 
ID:	116445  

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    And all without the need to refuel 'till next year.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Bash plates

There's a guy (gpcustom) over on the DR650 thread who is talking about making up some bashplates. I got one off him a couple of years ago for my DRZ400 that was really nice so asked if he was able to make one up for an XR. Looks like he probably can if anyone else interested in getting one.

Bike
    3 black ones
    bit short of money so will have to leave the bash plate for a while

great photos of the jumps. i might have a go at trying to fly today

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    bit short of money so will have to leave the bash plate for a while

great photos of the jumps. i might have a go at trying to fly today
    And take some pics...

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Xr/dr

My mate turned up today with nearly new DR650 (he's changed the pipe otherwise stock). I was interested to see how it went compared to my XR600 so took it for a spin, psyching myself for the feeling of "I wish I got one of these instead" (DR650 was on the top of my list before the XR came up).

It felt smaller than the XR (partly due to my big tank and bar risers but also slightly lower seat on the DR). Performance wise it was a little smoother - I can see why they would be nicer for distance road work, but the instant kick in the guts wasn't there like the XR6. It was nice but I'm pleasantly smug that my old XR has got the edge. and it's got character...

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    but the instant kick in the guts wasn't there like the XR6. It was nice but I'm pleasantly smug that my old XR has got the edge. and it's got character...
    DR's CV carb VS XR's proper carb.

However it's quite easy to put a pumper carb on the DR

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Mint XR600

Check this out - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-200311464.htm one owner, 7000km XR600. 1991 but they didn't change until they brought out the XR650L in 98 I think which was virtually the same just with E start so heavier. You could own the peak of dual purpose motorcycle technology prior to things getting complicated and heavy!

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Got some wheels

Just picked up some motard wheels for the XR off TM. I've been looking for some spare wheels ever since I got the bike and found these for $300 which is amazing - were also on a 93 XR6 so should be no problem for fitting. A bigger disc on the front but comes with an adaptor for the caliper so it's a quick change jobby.

Now I can blast around town in the week and put the knobs on for the weekend - they should arrive this week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86192796.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	120085  

Bike
    3 black ones
    cool that was a good deal. will be good te hear what it handles like on the road with the motard wheels

im after some for mine as well. then i will be able to sell my MZ motard

off for a ride today since i havent been out on it for ages. been raining down here so the tracks should be nice and slippery

Bike
    Yamaha TDM
    Great thread cynna...i had a XL 600R..great bike
    even though it backfired and put me off work for 6 weeks.
    it was a joy to ride.....
    pitty the new 650 hasnt got a bit more touring gear on it..

got a v-strom now.........
    its good too...
    but my father allways told me

never buy anything that starts with ...S.
    CHEERS KEV
    And that is the honest truth your honour..

Bike
    3 black ones
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    they should arrive this week
    how are you getting them shipped to you? was it very exspensive? im waiting to hear back from bike tranz to see how much it would cost to get some wheels send to me.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    how are you getting them shipped to you? was it very exspensive? im waiting to hear back from bike tranz to see how much it would cost to get some wheels send to me.
    $52.50 by Fastway Couriers - Masterton to Whangarei. I'd say that was pretty good for the weight of two wheels - I've found Fastway about the best for that sort of thing. I was breaking up a car a couple of years ago and sending bits around the country and doing some research Fastway were the best at that time for the fairly big stuff (some other couriers won't take large/heavy).

Thread Information