Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: XR650r owners' thread

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

WOF and noise

I went for a WOF here at the main testing station in Whangarei yesterday and after reading your post was a little apprehensive. My XR600 has a WR450 pipe on it which is quiet at low revs but pretty loud when you open it up (consequently short-shifting around town required) . But they didn't seem to notice the noise (or the broken tail-light LOL) and i never noticed them testing it. So good to go for another 6 months anyway .

Bike
    2004, Honda XR650R
    WOF

I made diy-baffler from stuff that I found from my garage. Made bike much quieter, still bit more dB's than legal at high RPM's, but since the bike dont have rev counter and they were not able to say when the exact 3000 rpm is they let it go trough Asked to make it bit more quieter for next WOF... I guess that filling muffler with wool will do the last dB's.

Nothing big happened to performance, but made the bike much nicer to ride with out ear plugs. And still has that nice big bore sound

Bike
    3 black ones
    got my hands on a 24 l acerbis tank. looks way bigger then mu 16 l. havent really notice the extra weight but my knees copped a few bruises going over the rough stuff on the bottom edges of the hole in the middle..... might have to make up some padding somehow

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

XR600 jetting

I put a new air filter and no-toil filter oil in my XR600 and for some reason I'm finding it harder to start and not running so cleanly at higher revs. It gets to about 140 in top and starts spluttering. I'm wondering if the air flow is improved with the new filter and the jetting maybe needs tweaking (as far as I know it's standard jetting but is running a WR450 pipe so will be flowing easier anyway).

Any thoughts? I know it needs new rings so wondering about getting it rejetted when I get the rings done.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    I put a new air filter and no-toil filter oil in my XR600 and for some reason I'm finding it harder to start and not running so cleanly at higher revs. It gets to about 140 in top and starts spluttering. I'm wondering if the air flow is improved with the new filter and the jetting maybe needs tweaking (as far as I know it's standard jetting but is running a WR450 pipe so will be flowing easier anyway).

Any thoughts? I know it needs new rings so wondering about getting it rejetted when I get the rings done.
    Sounds like it's running a bit leaner if it's running out of puff.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    I had the shop look at my XR600, wondering if it was just the rings needing doing but when they took it apart there was some damage in the top of the piston plus some water damage to the bore where she had a drink at some stage so they gave her a rebore, new cam-chain and refaced the valves. It's got rid of the oil use problem and I've done about 800km running her in (mainly a trip to the Cape with my young-uns a couple of weekends ago - see pics below) and I'm just about to change the oil.

But it's still no easier to start (it used to be easier when I get her - maybe it was because the weather was warmer or because I've recently turned 50 ). Anyway I read somewhere that if you run slightly lighter oil it can make them easier to start. Anyone tried this? What sort of grade would be safe?

Any other ideas of things I can do short of buying a KLR or DR? I know I have the technique okay as it used to start pretty consistently 4th kick or so from cold and 2nd or 3rd from hot. I've heard you can get a trick spark plug that helps - anybody tried that? Also I've heard you can change the carb to an Edlebrook (?) or Mikuni pumper but that's out of the question unless someone has one sitting in their shed they'd like to donate...

Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8110050.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	603.9 KB 
ID:	140427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8110073.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	631.8 KB 
ID:	140428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8110051.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	140429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8110084.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	140430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8110032.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	662.2 KB 
ID:	140431  

Bike
    3 black ones
    my xr needs a stronger kick to start then my dr350 does but it is never much of a hassle except wehn its cold and been sitting a while - then i just try to start it about 30 minutes before i need to go and before i have all my gear on. its amazing how hot you get trying to kick start a bike a few times...

i have heard you can fit electic starters to them so that may be something to look into

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC

Thumbs up Picked mine up Wednesday :)

Photobucket
    Going to be used as Adv bike, like it so far. Taking it to Woodhill Sunday to give it some sand work and first gravel ride.
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Yeah great to see the XR revival happening. Looks a real nice one .

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC

Post Help

I need the rear shock spring preload limits if anyone has a XR650R owners manual?

I have found workshop manual but they refer you to owners for these settings & had no luck finding/searching for one to download/check.

I know the standard is 236.5mm & service limit 240mm.

I'm a big fat bugger so need to check max so i can preload spring to see if i'll (probably) need to up spring rate (weather i do or not is another thing!)

Any help much appreciated
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Sadly looking at parting with my XR600

I'm planning on doing a work trip through NZ in the next month or two and want to do it on a bike. My problems is a) the XR is okay for 300km or so a day but wouldn't want to do much more and b) I can't afford two bikes at present SO I've put the XR on Trademe

I really want to do this trip but I'll be very sad to see her go. Anyway if anyone is interested or maybe into doing a swap with something tourable (fairing and panniers) of similar value let me know.

Bike
    3 black ones
    at least you have the right time of year to sell - any bites yet?

Bike
    3 black ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I need the rear shock spring preload limits if anyone has a XR650R owners manual?

I have found workshop manual but they refer you to owners for these settings & had no luck finding/searching for one to download/check.

I know the standard is 236.5mm & service limit 240mm.

I'm a big fat bugger so need to check max so i can preload spring to see if i'll (probably) need to up spring rate (weather i do or not is another thing!)

Any help much appreciated
    i have the little handbook that comes with the bike if thats what u mean - will try and remember to have a look tomorrow (u might have to remind me)

otherwise the info is probably on the net - there is a great site for the xr but i cant remember the name if it off hand. again i will try and remember to find out tomorrow

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    i have the little handbook that comes with the bike if thats what u mean - will try and remember to have a look tomorrow (u might have to remind me)

otherwise the info is probably on the net - there is a great site for the xr but i cant remember the name if it off hand. again i will try and remember to find out tomorrow
    XR's only?
    Thumpertalk?

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    at least you have the right time of year to sell - any bites yet?
    Yeah I've had a couple and there's a guy coming up from Auckland to look tomorrow so looking like she might be going

Thread Information