Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boulevard fuel gauge. Any suggestions?

Bike
    GL1800
    Hi Choc, sorry I have no solution. I am gobsmacked that a 2008 bike doesn't have a trip meter tho! I'd suggest taking a 5 litre plastic can on an open road ride to see how many k's she does til dry. That will give you a yard stick. (Obviously note at what k's you had to flick to reserve)

Have fun.
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    my two 250's that i had had atleast a trip meter.

i went for a ride yesterday and ran it dry.managed 220ks which surprised me.

Police officer asks you "how fast were you going?"
    You reply "obviously not fast enough!"

Bike
    Lots
    There is of course the real expensive option of getting a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS and using the fuel meter on that. When you get to reserve it will even tell you where the nearest petrol station is I've used that feature a couple of times - unfortunately it wont tell you if the petrol station is open or not
    It even doubles as a GPS

*Most* mid range bikes should do around 30k's on reserve If I'm not mistaken.

Bike
    You could install a simple sensor and warning light - can be done cheaply but would require a few hours of work taking tank off and so on....

What I'm thinking is a captive magnet float in the tank, with a sensor on the outside that switches a light on when the fuel level is below some limit.

Total cost is buggerall (should be under $20) but the only part I haven't got an immediate answer for is how to glue the captive magnet inside the tank - you need an adhesive that is ok being immersed in fuel. Maybe that Knead-It stuff might work, I think it says that it is good for repairing gas tanks.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    I'll have a look into that.

thanks

Police officer asks you "how fast were you going?"
    You reply "obviously not fast enough!"

Bike
    2013 Suzuki Boulevard S40

Problem solved?

Hey!
    did you ever find a good solution? I just bought a 2013 model of the s40 and found out I have the same problem!
    I actually only found out when I ran out of gas and called to say my fuel light was broken, only to find out it didnt have a fuel light :S
    When I bought it I assumed it had, and me and the salesperson both thought the red light beside the neutral light must be the fuel gauge!
    So frustrating, it seems like a big thing any vehicle should need? or at least a journey distance tachometer thing so we can get some idea..

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    rather than use the katmandu option I am sure there are some pretty simple counters out there - bowlers, cricket umpires, knitters etc use them. I would just get one of those and set to zero everytime you fill up and carry in your leathers all the time (same as using a tripmeter)

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Thread Information