Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boulevard fuel gauge. Any suggestions?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard S40

Boulevard fuel gauge. Any suggestions?

Greatings all,

i recently purchased a new 2008 suzuki boulevard s40 which is a great bike but it goes through abit of gas and here lies my problem. the bike doesnt have a fuel gauge,fuel warning light or sensor and neither does it have a trip meter. so i was wondering if anyone out there has any ideas to solve this problem.

i would appreciate any help given

Ps Im new to kiwibiker.

regards Pasqual.

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Hi, welcome to KB. I don't have any bright ideas for you I'm afraid, just thought I'd say Hi and I can see the delema! Mine doesn't have a fuel gauge, so I rely on the trip metre, but without one of those either that has got to be a pain in the arse!!!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Hi mate and welcome.

I'd recommend drilling a small hole (say 3mm) about 4/5 of the way down the side of the petrol tank - when the petrol stops pissing out you are getting low and need to fill up.

Man I have good ideas........

The author of this post takes absolutely no responsibility whatsoever in the event that any reader actually follows his advice.

Bike
    hmx 500
    Quote Originally Posted by Choc Milk View Post
    Greatings all,

i recently purchased a new 2008 suzuki boulevard s40 which is a great bike but it goes through abit of gas and here lies my problem. the bike doesnt have a fuel gauge,fuel warning light or sensor and neither does it have a trip meter. so i was wondering if anyone out there has any ideas to solve this problem.

Ps Im new to kiwibiker.

regards Pasqual.
    Next time you top up take note of odometer reading,then run her to the bottom and check how many ks you have done, and that will give you some idea around how many ks you may get out of a tank before you need to refillride hard,ride safe,ride on!!!
    Last edited by Virago; 21st December 2008 at 18:08.
    DUCATI ALL THE WAY!!!

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    the bike doesnt have a fuel gauge,fuel warning light or sensor and neither does it have a trip meter.
    As it's a Suzuki, I'm assuming it has a fuel tap? Ride to the nearest convenient servo when you have to switch to reserve...

On the S40 the reserve should be good for, what, 30 or 40 km's? Unless you're on the open road that should be OK. If you're on a trip, plan, or carry a jerrycan.

Assuming of course you don't leave it on reserve all the time...
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Greatings all,

Ps Im new to kiwibiker.

regards Pasqual.
    All these things you noted prior to purchase... and still bought it... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    None any more
    Get a length of dowel long enough to touch the bottom of the tank when inserted through the filler cap. Tie one end of it to the handlebars with a length of string.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Get a length of dowel long enough to touch the bottom of the tank when inserted through the filler cap. Tie one end of it to the handlebars with a length of string.
    Then drill a hole in the top of the tank the same(or slightly larger) and insert said dowel at intervals.
    Wet area on the dowel is fuel level... simple...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2010 Thunderbird
    Change speedo housing for one that fits with a tripometer thingy , ask suzuki as im sure you arent the first person to ask them .
    Just going my own way

Bike
    i have asked at the local suzuki dealership and they said they'll look into it but thought id try kiwirder for any other suggestions.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki M109R
    while you're there see if they have any almost new S50's they have trip meters, and as you will discover your S40 will give you vibration at speed that is uncomfortable for longer distances. An S50 is smoother but has similar agility.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    No trip meter, fuel reserve or fuel gauge ? Bummer.

But it only has a 2.5 gallon gas tank. Even if it gets 60mpg it will need gas every two hours.

I have altzenheimers (lagerheimers if you want to get picky..) but even I can remember back 2 hours. Mostly.

Open the cap. If you cant see gas its time to get some.

Actually.. somehow I find this kind of refreshing.

What a neat bike.

Imagine a simple, single cylinder bike with great fuel economy, good looks* and minimal electronics to stuff out.

I'm sure I used to have one.

*Well, maybe not the good looks.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    i didnt say i dont have a fuel reserve, i do have a reserve but theres not warning if im low on petrol or something along those lines to tell me when i have to fill up next. pain in the butt thats for sure.

went for a ride today and managed to get 220 out of the whole tank. there were only a few drops of petrol left haha

Police officer asks you "how fast were you going?"
    You reply "obviously not fast enough!"

Bike
    Suzuki AN125 Scooter, Honda scooter
    I had one of these bikes.

Heres a tip i got from www.suzukisavage.com

Get a 4 digit luggage lock from kathmandu. saw off lock. fix on one side flat onto brake cyclinder with contact adhesive. With wheels able to be turned freely cos they stick over the edge towards you. (put cotton wool or something round the wheels so no glue gets in)
    when ever you fill up turn numbers what ever your odometer at the time. eg 6700

Then to see how much you have done compare this number with what speedo shows, the difference is K done on the tank. a bit of pain but better than nothing, worked well for me for over a year

I found I went into reserve at about 160k.

Bike
    Hey,
    thank you very much for your help. it is much appreciated. your porbably the first person to actually have a solution to my problem.

I was in Wanganui for the races and talked to one of the suzuki guys there about my problem but it seemed as tho he didnt really care and pay much attention to what i had to say which is quite sad!

i will definitely look into your suggestion. i'll keep in touch if i need more information from you.

Police officer asks you "how fast were you going?"
    You reply "obviously not fast enough!"

Thread Information