Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: gijoe1313 and Gremlin invade the Mainland!

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    JAFA is soooooooooo last year and the year before that and the years before that etc.

SOAP's is the knew term...Stressed Out Auckland Pricks.
    It's good that you now have TV's up there so you can keep up with stuff eh....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Waking up with GiJoe

My mobile alarm goes off at 0730 (the agreed time). He asks for confirmation of what that was, and I confirm. He's out of bed in a flash, toiletries, opens the curtains and goes hunting for brekkie.

I find I can start focussing with both eyes, to find him on his bed, wide awake and wondering why I am not up yet. Hell... only 20 min have passed...

Later in the morning, with breakfast consumed, and we start packing, he's cleaned his bike, lubed the chain... the bugger hasn't cleaned mine!! I've umm... got myself ready... the scottoiler will take care of my chain.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313
    I'll let him tell his story :slap:
    I was going on holiday, and had work to be done. Finished work around 0030 (only realised it was 2009 at 0015), then proceeded to work on my bike gear, last touches to the bike, pack and generally do the stuff you do on the day before (except I was doing work instead then). As I was finishing up, 0330 rolls around. Oh well, time to have a shower and get ready...

Can you believe this... rain has started in Nelson (looks like we're in for a fun day) and he's criticising me for not starting at 0730... pffft, we weren't awake then!!

Got pictures, but too slow to load on dial up at the mo, maybe later today...

Time for some through Queen Charlotte

edit: piss off with your jafa debate... this is an actual ride thread... you know... motorcyclists riding the country
    edit2: pictures from Day 1, only mine, coz GiJoe can't organise himself, so we have no way of pulling pictures off his camera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3295.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	114823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3297.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	114824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3300.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	114825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3302.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	114826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3303.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	114827  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

edit: piss off with your jafa debate... this is an actual ride thread... you know... motorcyclists riding the country
    You are correct...I have deleted my post and apologise.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    You are correct...I have deleted my post and apologise.
    Careful now... you'll give me a big head thinking I wield some resemblance of power

Day 2 follows in the next post... (mine, the abridged version )
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    So as I have previously mentioned... Day 2 wasn't looking too flash, the clouds thick overhead, rain, and reading the newspaper in the morning, there were storms on the west coast on New Years day. Charming.

Duly, GiJoe makes his sacrifice to the gods, donning his rain suit. I thought I knew better and refused to put mine on, but made sure to take a while to get ready (I did get the first luggage onto a bike tho), so he boiled nicely in his. Accordingly, rain for the first 10-20km, but dry to Nelson otherwise.

Upon reaching Nelson, we were able to check into the hostel at midday, and a txt was sent to a local (who shall remain secret) to collect a couple of touring aucklanders (or is that jafas... or soaps ) and show us the best routes in the area.

The local wasn't too happy about the weather, declaring they would depart part way into the ride, due to weather. Since we had about... that much time to do it, it didn't matter what the weather was to us Corners were dispatched in quick succession, with the local continuing to declare they would remain with us "so" far.

To cut a long story short (because I am bloody sounding like Gi) the local remained with us all the way to the hostel (we must be addictive). It declared it was tired (we believe we did about 350km with the local), and couldn't imagine doing the ride, plus all the other travel we had done, and were going to do. Besides a little more rain leaving the late lunch stop, it was dry for the rest of the ride, allowing great appreciation of the roads the locals take for norm (seriously, they're fantastic).

We hunted down some dinner (there were no candles involved) and now we're preparing to sleep again.

edit: The local would like to be known as a nutcase nutter34
    edit2: pics are up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3318.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	114838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3330.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	114839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3333.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	114840  

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Oh, this thread will be a goody.

Bike
    Z50
    Mmm, yes, said local had fun...

Now I await the deluge of ridicule for NOT going to the street races...

As was stated above, a quick glance at Metvuw this morning, showed a fair day but with rain supposedly arriving late afternoon. Add to that heavy rain warnings, got me a little concerned. I'm a fair weather rider you see...

Anyhow, since my ZX10 has a radiator with a small hole in it, I managed to procure another means of transport for the day. As such, I never had any intention to get wet.

Anyhow, met the two adventurers just after mid day and we set off for Kaiteriteri. The adventurers wanted to get some photos. Once there however, they realised how busy Kaiteri is on a good day and decided to carry on, so off we went to Takaka. A very good ride, with not too much traffic on the hill, as well as a pretty good surface. Once in Takaka, it was decided to continue to Collingwood, where we had a snack and had a prolonged visit as we sat chatting...
    It was decided quite quickly to return home, when the weather looked decidedly poor. As it was, we got some mild precipitation as we left but it soon cleared and once back in Takaka, it was all good.

From there on, it was all fun as we headed back over the hill and filled up outside Riwaka, then continued on and did Mot Valley highway...

All in all, a good days riding and the weather played along and gave the adventurers/tourists and awesome day out...

It was good to meet some people I'd conversed with, in person...
    Have fun guys and enjoy the rest of the trip...
    "You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries

Riding with the Twin Katooms o'doom

Well, this morning was one of those salubrious moments where I teetered on the edge of a precipice. Gremlin is determined to be the anchor to my feet, the millstone around my neck and the one ring in the darkness to bind me! :slap:

I am of course referring to his lackadaisical and laidback approach to a riding holiday! He wishes to lie in bed and take his time and reduce the hours available for riding in a day!

The morning was filled with anticipation of the precipatation to be in declination while riding to another location ... the steeds of freedom were loaded and once we managed to head out towards Queen Charlotte Drive, the ride actually commenced. I thought we would never get there.

The roads were good, the cagers amusing (read : on our side of the road at times) and then a golden ray of sunshine burst out upon the glimmering vistas of the magnificent mainland, bestowing its jewels for us to see and experience the grandeur of it all.

A local turned up at Nelson after we had stashed away our luggage to show us the way the area should be done. The local had his own Katoom of Doom to juxtapose itself with Gremlin's stern nordic beauty of preambulation.

What a ride. Great twisties, sweeping views of the land beneath as we climbed over Takaka Hill and down into the low lands towards Collingwood. I watched Gremlin ride periously close to a barrier and it turns out he was distracted by a pretty girly walking by (he wanted to take a longer look whilst at the same time negotiating a 35kph bend at his usual KTM warp speeds)

My Big Ol'Hornet and I were content to just pootle along doing our own thing. Terrific time was spent negotiating the tight twisting lanes of freedom and admiring the scenery (while trying not to be part of it).

Now, as I type this, I ruminate and ponder the ramifications of what tomorrow may bring ... I fear I will have to resort to the old ice water on the face trick to bring Gremlin to an instant state of awareness.

Oh yes, Gremlin has found out that I am a night owl and a morning person!

Will be posting pics when and as possible!

Once again, thanks to the Local for his time in sharing some of the best bits of what makes SI a great place to be!
    I could only watch as the KTM's sped off to wend their merry way through the twisties and scoot past the traffic. My Big Ol'Hornet had to be content with making it's own time through. I spent time on the twisties and enjoying the scenery whilst trying not to be part of it!

Oh yes, Gremlin has found out that I am a night owl and a morning person and the energizer bunny all rolled into one Red Camo Pajamaed Ninja package!

Photos to be posted when I am more organised!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    Z50
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    Well, this morning was one of those salubrious moments where I teetered on the edge of a precipice. Gremlin is determined to be the anchor to my feet, the millstone around my neck and the one ring in the darkness to bind me! :slap:

I am of course referring to his lackadaisical and laidback approach to a riding holiday! He wishes to lie in bed and take his time and reduce the hours available for riding in a day!
    I know how he feels, having only got to bed at 5am...

I don't know how he managed a whole day without any sleep yesterday... I'm sure by the end of the week, he'll be chipper as, early in the morning..
    "You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutter34 View Post
    I'm sure by the end of the week, he'll be chipper as, early in the morning..

He is currently complaining bitterly about how its my fault that he missed out on an estimated 3 hours of riding (his calc, I naturally dispute it), which would equate to at least 200km of riding (again, his).

What he doesn't understand, is that with a little training, he'll be stoked to sleep in, ride less than a thousand km per day, and enjoy spending time relaxing, sleeping etc.

11 days left to go in his re-adjustment program

Bike
    GL1800

Thumbs up

Well done Guys, doing what we all dream aboot, a good reminder for us all to JUST DO IT! Awesome, keep the awesome reports comin, be safe, have a BLAST!
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Crashed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    Seems you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder though - shame, the mainland is simply gorgeous. I used to live in Auckland, I much prefer it down here.

Not in the slightest. Having worked at Edendale, Clandeboye, Timaru & Tiwai Point, I can vouch for the size of the shoulder chips down there - you get a completely different reaction when you say you're from anywhere but 'the mainland' and especially Auckland. I expect you'd never get it if you have a Scottish accent.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me - in fact I find it pretty damned amusing just how pathetic they are about it! Many SIers are like a teenage boy with the crush on an older girl (Auckland). They'll do anything to get her attention, even insulting her for just a glance, but she's barely aware he even exists.

The south island is a nice place to visit and work for a little while, but I certainly don't want to live there long term.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Up again at some stupid time... well... when I say up, thats a bit innaccurate, more like, I leaned over to turn the phone off, at 0730, and got up just before 0800.

He's basically packed now, lubed and cleaned his bike. I've checked emails, a bit of KB, and have both eyes open.

Today is Nelson>Murchison>Westport. If the weather is ok, we'll go up to Karamea, then south to Hokitika, which is the night stop, or we can miss Karamea if we want.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Preload View Post

The south island is a nice place to visit and work for a little while, but I certainly don't want to live there long term.
    Now THAT'S the kinda talk I like to hear!!

Leaves the roads a tad less cluttered so JAFAs, SOAP's and others have a part of NZ to visit and ride on and enjoy!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Up again at some stupid time... well... when I say up, thats a bit innaccurate, more like, I leaned over to turn the phone off, at 0730, and got up just before 0800.

He's basically packed now, lubed and cleaned his bike. I've checked emails, a bit of KB, and have both eyes open.

Today is Nelson>Murchison>Westport. If the weather is ok, we'll go up to Karamea, then south to Hokitika, which is the night stop, or we can miss Karamea if we want.

Karamea is always worth it (IMHO) just for the ride!

Always grab the chance to take the non loop rides when you can, it's amazing how difficult it is to get back another day!

IE: Karamea, Takaka hill, Glenorchy and (especially) Milford Sound etc.

Hey you guys, have a great trip, hope the weather is kind to you. Cheers, John.

Thread Information