Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: gijoe1313 and Gremlin invade the Mainland!

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    looking at the weather forecast, I would suggest Catlins/Riveria of the south on Tuesday and Milford on Wednesday.

Wednesday looks like fine at Milford till mid-afternoon.
    I'd second that.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    1993 Yamaha SRV
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    1. Get rid of the excess luggage
    2. Get rid of the packrack when back at Dorkland
    !

Agreed. I use a couple of soft pannier bags, no bigger than when I toured the South Island on a pushbike.

But for me it may be a genetical thing. My Mum took some of my siblings to Europe in the 70s and they took a backpack the size of a day pack each.

Too much luggage is like a millstone around the neck.

This is a fantastic thread. I'm loving it!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Back on a 250 and riding more than ever.

Bike
    Triumph Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    Then the next thought on my mind was a statement that I have oft used and even mentioned to Trump Lady. "Always do what you fear most to do, confront your fear you must" (yes, more Star Wars) and this was a definite leap of faith.

As for the Big Ol'Hornet, it started up just fine, I got it back to the hostel in Franz Josef just fine (and after taking it through twisty gravels - as a tribute to Trump Lady).
    I trusted you and your wisdom..... you should only do what you fear most when guided by someone sane......... and wakes before 7am

welcome to my world GIJOE king pootler and forest god lol
    --------------------------------------------------------

ANSWER = ID RATHER BE RIDING!
    ------------------------------------------------------

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    LRN2TOUR, if you take the pack rack off when you get home I'm just going to come by at night and put it back on :P
    it gets worse, I suspect he is going to try and get rid of it all while in Invercargill (courier it back to auckland, along with the gear he "doesn't need"), and get himself a backpack instead. Ironic then that I am usually carrying some of his gear
    looking at the weather forecast, I would suggest Catlins/Riveria of the south on Tuesday and Milford on Wednesday.

Wednesday looks like fine at Milford till mid-afternoon.
    Just been looking at the weather, and yes, I was suspecting I would do it that way around. We may delay by a day, depending on what we want to do where etc, but I'll discuss with the pootler tonight
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Welcomed with open arms at Chateau McJim

We have arrived safely in Invercargill and welcomed by our favourite ducati-riding scot. Insults were made about his ducati, threats were made about gardens, and it was almost like when he was back in auckland

Hoses and buckets were offered and gratefully accepted, and gijoe and I set down to clean the bikes (mcjim did start gijoe's, but thats not the done thing is it? Or is it? ), while mcjim chucked some meat on the bbq in our honour (or did he just want meat, and we were a good excuse? We did leave him the huge steak) and chickadee prepared a fantastic feast. GiJoe was pedantic as always with his cleaning, I cleaned mine for the first time in about 4000km. Can't clean it too much, otherwise it might think its entitled to it We have covered about 2800km on the trip already, at the completion of Day 5.

The trip south was relatively uneventful, and beautiful (photos will follow later this evening) down the coast and through Haast Pass. It was relatively boring after Wanaka, besides a strip I have forgotten the name of already. The barren hills were in stark contrast to the lush west coast, but with bays for chain fitting, I would imagine the winters would vary just a little

We have been lucky with the weather so far, able to keep a moving average speed above 83kph, but from the looks of the forecasts, our luck may run out tomorrow, but we will alter the day trips accordingly.

Photos to follow later this evening.

edit: pics are up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3502.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	115138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3506.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	115139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3509.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	115140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3511.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	115141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3513.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	115142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3520.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	115143  
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Triumph Tripple 675 DR 650
    Fantastic guys
    What a great holiday. Your pics and write ups are fab.

jijoe1313 you must not delay in taking Gremlin to the nearest emergency department and insisting on him having a blood transfusion laced with caffeine. He will henceforth be alive and bouncing with you at 0530 and fully charged for 1,000kms of riding.

Waiting for the next intallment

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    It was relatively boring after Wanaka, besides a strip I have forgotten the name of already. The barren hills were in stark contrast to the lush west coast, but with bays for chain fitting, I would imagine the winters would vary just a little
    That would be the Crown Range.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Let us know when you are doing the Catlins. I'll come down to meet you at Balclutha.
    Time to ride

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Let us know when you are doing the Catlins. I'll come down to meet you at Balclutha.
    They'll be there tomorrow - I'm in the process of organising cuppas in Papatowai and Balclutha at the moment.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Perfect. I'm about 90 minutes from Balclutha, so I'll just carry on down the Catlins road till I meet a couple of Hondas (and a Virago perhaps?) coming the other way.
    Time to ride

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Perfect. I'm about 90 minutes from Balclutha, so I'll just carry on down the Catlins road till I meet a couple of Hondas (and a Virago perhaps?) coming the other way.
    Gremlin is on a Katoom. ETA Papatowai 10-10:30ish ETA Balclutha 11-12ish
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries

Ninja log 7 : Picking up hawt asian biker chick!

Well the day began as it has once again like all the others. I was already waiting and packed and ready for more riding.

I spent the time watching Happy Feet on the hostel's SKY connection and the start of another film by the time Gremlin was almost out of his casual shirt, cargo pants and bare feet. Wait, I have posted stuff like this before. I am caught in Groundhog's Day mixed with Deja Vu and Kafka.

As per usual, the fantastic riding in the South Island was enough to carry my troubles away, I left my doldrums in the depressions of the low glacier lands of Haast, a blast at last through those gates which marks the spectacular march of natures splendour. The roar of water was akin to the roar of the air rushing over one's bike helmet. The sniff of water released from centuries of being locked in ice also touched a primodial energy in one's soul. A celestial orchestral of elements combining into one mellifluous symphony of beauty.

The previous ills of the day was purged by the riding through South Islands paen to natural perfection.

The twisties was interlaced with a stop in Wanaka to pick up a pillion passenger who appreciates the fine art of motorcycling. AngelKwan was there waiting by the beach foreshore and eager to attend to the sights, sounds and experiences of a few days riding with gijoe1313 and Gremlin. The Big Ol'Hornet took the challenge in stride and with a buzz, tackled the tight twisties of switchbacks leading out from Wanaka to Invercargill. Destination Castle McJim and Chickadee's demesne.

Gremlin's use of the comms was helpful when it came to the overtaking, he was point man and weighed all factors into consideration. I ride like a nana. I had extra weight on board and the lay of the terrain. All this made for the typical biking journey, which invigorated my senses.

Towards the end of the ride, the extra effort told on the Big Ol'Hornets endurance, the reserve light coming on 30kms short of Invercargill - but like a real trooper carried on and deposited on tired Angel who had fallen asleep on my back. Not a problem, I saw it as an opportunity to smooth out my riding style to ensure she carried on snoozing peacefully.

The hospitality that has always been the hallmark of McJim and Chickadee was mightily appreciated. I commented on the fact that I missed the random visits to their house in Auckland when I was out and about pootling (as you do). I settled into that most important of duties, cleaning my Big Ol'Hornet, akin to the pony express riders of olde when they would sort their steed out first before themselves (this is an important point that the Biking Gods notice).

Dinner was fit for a king, sizzled slabs of steak masterfully rendered into textured tastes of heaven was done by McJim, Chickadee laid on the sides which complemented the meal perfectly. Nothing beats a home cooked meal when on the road as those pony express riders of yore all knew. I was resolved to repay the favour and cook a meal for tomorrow to repay the kindness.

And yet there was more to come, more riding! Angel jumped for joy and clapped her hands when she heard we were heading out again! Truly I admire her spirit and esprit de corp for biking. McJim led us to a Mobil servo to top off the tanks and then he showed us around Invercargill. The beach, Teretonga racetrack, Honda shop, Burt Munro's Fastest Indian residing at the hardware shop. Also I got to ride the Duchess and McJim my Big Ol'Hornet (I put the bling LED lights on just for him )

Most triumphant and clarion is the throaty growl of the Ducati, she gruffly powered her way through the night streets and wondered about the temerity of this strange interloper riding her around, McJim was easily riding the Big Ol'Hornet - his previous experience on the Duchess serving him excellently.

Alas, all good things come to an end and we returned back to Castle McJim, speckled spatters of rain foreshadowing the foreboding thought that rain will infect the rides to come (to me, of course, riding in the rain is still good since it's riding!)

As I sit here at the keyboard, ruminating on the experience so far I have made a to do list ..

1. Cook breakfast for tomorrow, menu : Mushrooms and gravy on toast, French Toast with baked beans.
    2. Get to the Postshop and send back to Auckland half the stuff I have.
    3. Disturb Gremlin again early as possible.
    4. Riding.
    5. Do step 4 as much as possible.

So now, I have an Angel at my back for a few days, the charismatic presence of McJim and his regaling way of relating stories in his Scottish bonhomie lilt, Chickadee's commensensical approach to the mad caperings of fellow bikers and Gremlin's perchance for performing astounding feats of outlandish chutzpah - on and off the bike!

Mmmm, I do so like hawt asian biker babes!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Plan for Tuesday

We will be riding the Catlins, and a-visiting KB'ers in Papatowai and Balclutha.

McJim has estimated an hour to paps, and then another hour to balclutha, and we plan to leave at 0930, so aiming for paps at 1030 to meet daffyd, and then balclutha an hour after we leave paps to meet 'n greet another.

Jantar will be met somewhere along the way I guess, we have no idea what we're looking for, hell, we're tourists (I'll pm you my cell, probably easiest)

pics have been uploaded, 4 to this post, and another 6 to my prior post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3525.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	115144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3526.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	115145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3527.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	115146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3530.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	115147  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    We will be riding the Catlins, and a-visiting KB'ers in Papatowai and Balclutha.

McJim has estimated an hour to paps, and then another hour to balclutha, and we plan to leave at 0930, so aiming for paps at 1030 to meet daffyd, and then balclutha an hour after we leave paps to meet 'n greet another.

Jantar will be met somewhere along the way I guess, we have no idea what we're looking for, hell, we're tourists (I'll pm you my cell, probably easiest)

pics have been uploaded, 4 to this post, and another 6 to my prior post.
    I will be mightily impressed and I think hell froze over, a 3 headed goat was born in Alexandra, the government will actually make decisions beneficial to its citizens and other apocalyptic omens presaging the end of the world.

Gremlin was muttering things about how we have nothing to pack, we have people we need to meet and other such sensible ravings.

I shall see if this occurs or not.

I shan't be holding my breath

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    If you have had the packrack earlier and learnt to ride with excess luggage like any SANE tourer, you would have been fine in every single time the "pack rack" failed you.

Yeah, I put it in quotes because we all know you failed the pack rack.

LRN2TOUR, if you take the pack rack off when you get home I'm just going to come by at night and put it back on :P
    Screw it, I have already said my piece on this, as soon as I get back to Auckland I am whipping it off and putting back the original grab rail. Pfft. I cannot believe I wasted time and effort on this particular issue!!

I have pootled to parts and places without needing an iota of the plethora of panoply of stuff that people purport to need. When I saw other bikers with the stacks of luggage on their bikes, it only confirmed my own entrenched views.

You. Don't. Need. As. Much. As. You. Think.

I will do this tour again to the South Island with one light backpack like I wanted to originally! On this trip I am reminded continually about the exploits of an old Trumpie rider doing Australia with the barest amount of equippage. If he can do 30 000 miles with only two saddlebags ... why the hell do you have to have 15 damn kilos to do NZ? Now that's insane!

I really hate to do my ninja stomp technique to mount my bike, I love the feeling of sweeping my leg in a roundhouse fluid movement and straddling my velocity impeller. It is that feeling, which I so dearly love that is missing on this trip. All because of a hunk of metal, which is superfluous to the needs of my journey in the South Island!

Thread Information