Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Shiver in Ngaio

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Free carbon can combine with water, particularly at high temperatures, (live steam), to produce carbonic acid, highly corrosive to most metals. Not much of that carbon's "free" though, and I prefer to keep water out of my crankcase. I've really only ever seen evidence of that type of damage in certain types of marine engines. And steam systems.

The main nasties are significantly more sizeable, and orta be dealt with by an effective filter. One of the reasons why oil changes are more regular on bikes than cars is the size of the reserve. Particularly on comp dirt bikes designers like to manage mass by minimising oil volume. That's got consequences in terms of contaminant build up, and cooling.
    Now that's interesting. I've never come across any mention of carbonic acid pollution in relation to m/cycle engines before! I always thought most damage was done to oil by heat cycling (or lack of sufficient heat due to short runs) and shearing. Always change my oil every three months, or 2k because I mainly do short run commuting.

I really must get a life! BTW Mr H, any pictures of the Shiver with it's insect catcher?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Free carbon can combine with water, particularly at high temperatures, (live steam), to produce carbonic acid, highly corrosive to most metals. Not much of that carbon's "free" though, and I prefer to keep water out of my crankcase. I've really only ever seen evidence of that type of damage in certain types of marine engines. And steam systems.
    Mrs Deuce's now deceased grandmother had a Proton Saga that sat for ages and only did short runs when it was used. It was placed in 5th gear within 100m of the front gate and the clutch was slipped to adjust speed. RPMs were usually about 6500. Kind of a geriatric DIY CVT.

When we returned from our OE we borrowed the car as the GM was now legally blind. It leaked no oil at rest, but would use 500mls in 100kms without trailing blue smoke and compression was well within spec when I checked it.

I got underneath. Everything was coated in a fine oil mist. Checked oil lines (after cleaning the "tar" off) and found nothing amiss, head gasket fine and so on. Thought it may have been sump gasket or mating surfaces so emptied the oil - it was milky but there was no oil in the coolant. Dropped the sump pan which had a "rind" at the cold oil tide mark. Cleaned the rind off and lo and behold the sump is porous around the tide mark. Heat the oil and it gets runnier and oozes through the porous alloy sump pan.

Condensation sitting on top of the oil at rest helped create carbonic acid which etched the sump.

NEVER buy a car from an old person. Their car gets more of a hammering around town than a stock agent's wagon that does 200,000kms a year.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Kind of a geriatric DIY CVT.
    Wish I'd thought of that :-)

Many moons ago I lived in Chistchurch and there was an elderly lady who used to drive a then new Morris Minor. She was noticable even to a kid because she drove everywhere in second gear. Apparently the tricky business of getting the gear lever across the dog leg in the gate eluded her.

No problem, second gear works just fine thanks...

The belated thought ocurrs that if she only had a three speed box she was still in first. You could certainly hear her coming...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Nice bike Hitch, missed all this news while I was off in Europe. Enjoy.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    None any more
    I am now officially Yamahaless for the first time in two-and-a-half years and 78,000km together...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2008 aprilia Tuono
    I very nearly bought one of these in London. Loved the "robobike" looks. Awesome machine.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    None any more
    Whoar! Stu?
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Whoar! Stu?
    Romoured to be 5kg heavier, and Ohlins equiped. HP & torque curves more or less proportionately fatter than the 750.

Suspect it'll be priced by the cc also.

For me it's competition might well be an 1125CR with the sensible bar kit. If Buell have, as reported, sorted the fueling issues on the '09 1125s it might just be a match for Mr Aprilia's 1200, and a fair wack lighter.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information