Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 1 Tonne racing leathers

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650

I agree .....

Any dissing of other suppliers gear on here, by suppliers ..... is poor form, and I've brought this up before. Consumers who have bad experiences with gear .... should take it to the supplier as an issue first, before washing any dirt linen on here. If gear is regularly bad, people will discuss it eventually on here or in other forums. Likewise good gear gets a reputation from user feedback.

For a supplier/manufacturer to diss someone else's gear, is totally unnecessary. Good gear will stand up on it's own, through reputation, likewise poor quality gear gets discussed as well, especially if the supplier doesn't stand by his/her gear, if its a manufacturing/quality fault.

In saying this .... My wife and I use Quasi's gear (gloves, jacket, and pants) and I have no problem recommending the gear as good quality.
    I do know people who have 1Tonne gear and love it, like wise Moshin gear, and other suppliers gear ..... and are more than happy with it.

I'm quite sure there are other manufacturers/suppliers who are also providing good gear, and at a suitable price for the different budgets that us bikers have available. Certainly having gear is way better than having nothing to protect you, acknowledging that some gear can provide superior protection to others. Generally that's why there is a price difference, which we all generally all understand. A common held belief is that "you get what you pay for". Sometimes .... you can get a bargain, or something suitable for the purpose, without spending the earth on it. Ultimately it does come down to an individual's disposable income, and choice.

Once again ...... IMHO ..... I'm quite sure there is enough room in the market for any suppliers on here .... not to stoop to dissing the others gear, with the thought that in doing so, it will enhance the reputation of their own gear. I will continue to see this as poor form, and totally unnecessary.

Bike
    1998 YZF1000 R1, 2001 YZ250FN, 1981 MT50
    Well, hasn't this thread grown... I once again used my new set of 1Tonne riding leathers today. I used to have a budget one peice made by Akito back in the late 90s and I used to trust them with keeping my ass off the tarseal as though they were a mega dollar set of Dainese leathers. The 1Tonne leathers are every bit as capable as the Akito set so I smile at the fact that for less than the cost of most, if not all leather jackets I can get about in a respectable suit. One factor I think that needs looking at is the fact that no matter how "average" the 1Tonne suit is, if more riders use a leather suit instead of jeans and bush shirt, isn't that better for motorcycling in general?
    It puts leather riding gear within reach of the common people - like me.

As for manufacturers bagging other manufacturers, bad form. All brands had to start somewhere. When Yamaha was first introduced to the world outside Asia they were met with sceptism. Now we wait to see what the new R1 is like. A good product will sell itself, a bad one will fade into the background.

I bought a 1Tonne product knowing full well that I was saving myself loads of money on the intial purchase, knowing that brands of gear I know and trust were more expensive and most likely better quality. Was it a good buy? Time will tell. At this stage I am very happy with the product supplied.

Just as a side note - I didnt buy them as a race suit. I bought them as something else to wear on the weekend rides. I didnt buy them expecting to fall down alot. I think I'd have annoyed Dusty at Leda Leathers if I wanted a special race set.
    THE ROLE OF THE INFANTRY

"To seek out and close with the enemy; to kill or capture him; to seize and hold ground; to repel attack, by day or night, regardless of season, weather or terrain."

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650

An unadulterated plug for a local supplier!

I was in Eltham the other day. My wife and I were doing a roadtrip in her car ..... around the Naki, and decided to visit 1Tonne and have a look at their range of gear.
    My wife bought a new leather jacket, and I bought some leather trou. (My wife is waiting on her leather trou to arrive in her size.)

I was impressed with the leather clothing that they had. The racing quality suits, I would say, appear to be every bit as good .... if not better than some of the well known brand names I've seen .... and at a very very good price.
    The leather looks good, and the stitching looks to be really well done. I would guess that the suit would "do the business" if called upon ..... as well as most available.
    I wish I had held off buying a leather jacket, as although I am very happy with the jackets I have, I think I should have waited for my size to arrive .... and got one of the waterproof leather jackets which look very nice!

The cordura range of gear is good to. I have a set of jacket and trou, and they are really well made. I bought them awhile ago to use for commuting, but have been using the trou for some rides on my cruiser. Both the jacket and trou are very comfortable. I know if I was looking for any more cordura gear, I wouldn't bother looking anywhere else. They are fantastic value for money IMHO.

Nathan & Natalia are a very nice couple, very helpful, and keen to provide us with good quality gear at very good prices.

I have no problem at all in recommending them to others looking for good quality gear at very reasonable prices.

PS: ...... this..... in no way .... is designed to take away from .... or denigrate in any way .....any other local supplier(s) who provide gear/clothing to us.
    This is simply a plug/recommendation for one Co. I have dealt with lately, .... and felt like mentioning in this forum.
    Last edited by Gizzit; 16th April 2009 at 10:20. Reason: spoelling .... & granma erras

Bike
    ZX6R race machine, rmz250
    Right i might aswell let you all know how these hold up in a crash as thats what everyones dying to know...

I have the 1 tonne 2 piece, Im very happy with it and cant see anything wrong with them like i have mentioned in this thread before and agree 100% with gizzit's point of view on this brand.

I had a wee lil spill at the last kiwitrackdays round at taupo in these leathers. Now it was a very big spill, was on turn 1 and the bike just slide out from underneath me. When i got the bike and myself back to the pits i then looked over the leathers. I had rolled over while sliding so both the front and back of the leathers had the slide marks, the leathers held up pretty darn well imo, the back was completely fine and the front was all good too. There was a patch about 2-3cm long that had rub down rather deep and managed to undo a VERY small area of stiching. I know this is not ideal but hey shit happens and im still very happy with how they held up. A trip to then tailors and $20 bucks later and they as good as new minuse the slide marks

Bike
    1987 GSXR750h
    Cheers guys for the feed back.

Bike
    2004 VTR1000 - GSXR600K7

GP Race Suit

Do you do laybuy ?
    Bikes For Life "Misfit Racing"

Bike
    1987 GSXR750h
    We have 3 types of suits.
    The first one is the Track Dayer which is good for people starting track days and are on a budget.
    The next is our GP Tech2 race suit. The GP Tech2 suit is as good as the best suits you will find in the shops and is the suit that I recomendend for the profesional racer. (We also have matching gloves)
    Our other suit is our Black Hawk suit. The Black Hawk is a mix between a touring suit and a race suit. This is great for someone that want the best of the road and the track.

Bike
    1987 GSXR750h
    Quote Originally Posted by DVS 69 View Post
    Do you do laybuy ?
    Hi. Sorry no. These offen sell out in no time and so therefore I don't do layby. Thanks for the question though. Cheers.

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tonne View Post
    Hi. Sorry no. These offen sell out in no time and so therefore I don't do layby. Thanks for the question though. Cheers.

I would have happily raced in your leathers if I was going to carry on mate, the quality that you showed me off your product at Wanganui on boxing day when we had our meeting was very good I thought.

I am not a leather design man, but have worn all brands from Kushitani to Daianese + some more, and what you showed me impressed me
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    1987 GSXR750h
    Thanks Shaun. Your remarks are much appreciated. Cheers

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Sounds like good stuff,we all buy our preferences or maybe on name,much like anything,but when was the last time a golfer nearly died using a ping putter over a wharehouse one.I think the guys here 1 Tonne and Quasi to name a couple try to make it easy for riders to get good gear cheaper,not all can afford $3500 suits,if these so called cheaper suits are inferior to named brands so be it,but you could almost buy 2 for one such is the prices they sell for.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    1987 GSXR750h
    I'm quite sure you will find it of the same quality. It is designed by a person that designs for some of the best brands you can find and he looks after the quality controll for us.

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    The quality may be slightly less,but the price is way less.
    Case and point is a jacket we have,is cheapish,no brand,have it getting shortened in length.The guy doing it for us said yep not bad,better than nothing lol,the usual minimal stitching along panels,and twin on seams.

Seeing suits he makes and him saying how many stitches etc,along with thread used,i.e not cotton/poly mix but top quality does show the price difference.The price of a custom jacket made by him was $440-600 depending on style,ours cost $190,and sure not the same as Alpinestar etc,but still better than nothing,this for road not racing.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    KTM520EXC motard, Suzuki SV650
    I've been wearing a pair of the gloves solidly for six months now and they're holding up pretty well, had one track day bin in them and they suffered some scuffing of the leather but the stitching has held together(not bad for $60).

I just bought a pair of cordura pants for commuting and the quality looks excellent. I'm convinced they've found a good balance between quality and price. Will definitely be buying more 1Tonne products.

Bike
    Out of control Firestorm
    If I can make a couple of recomendations.

Make sure the rubber pads on top of the boots aint stiched on too tight, my left boot gear pad came un-done because it was too small and therefore the stiching got stretched but I just super glued it so no worries.

The pants are very good on the outside but the inner layer is tearing in the crotch area, perhaps stronger martarial or something? On a side note, am I able to buy another inner layer for the pants?

I'm not being negative or anything as I'm still happy with the gear as the price was good. Just some feedback so you guys can make your gear even better.

Forgot to mention I'm refering to Cordura gear, not leather!
    As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death
    Γύρος στη νίκη

Thread Information