Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 Tonne racing leathers

Bike
    1998 YZF1000 R1, 2001 YZ250FN, 1981 MT50

Question 1 Tonne racing leathers

Has anyone bought a set of the 1tonne zip together leathers they are selling for $385.00? The price makes me a wee bit nervous.

I was hoping to hear some feed back on how they are to use.http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?pa...g&categoryid=4

I figure they can't be all bad, but I just would love to know if they fall to pieces or are strangely uncomfortable.

Cheers
    THE ROLE OF THE INFANTRY

"To seek out and close with the enemy; to kill or capture him; to seize and hold ground; to repel attack, by day or night, regardless of season, weather or terrain."

Bike
    1989 Kawasaki ZXR400
    Hey I dunno about the suit but I have a pair of gloves from 1tonne they are pretty good for the price, i binned it in the weekend and the hands were the first thing to go out they didnt even rip im pretty happy with them.

Bike
    '87 Honda VFR400R
    I just noticed that most of the stuff they sell looks like that 'Moshin' gear on trademe, am I right?

Bike
    GSX-R 750 K6
    Is that a good or bad thing?? I too was looking at these and I am like you not sure if they are strong when sliding down the road! Or if they cut ya in half while wearing them? I guess it really means a ride to the naki to put a suit on and try them out.

I do know that the $700 suits are heaps better al round. Comments from the seller on trade me.
    Manawatu Tag-o-rama score : LXV

DAVE MOSS "I'll BE BACK" WATCH THIS SPACE FOR MORE INFO OF DATES AND VENUES FOR 2015 VISIT, DM here from 18 Feb to 9 March, look on Meetings for info.

Quote "A closed mouth gathers no feet"

Bike
    89 Honda VFR400
    Ive got one of the cheapies (385), and while its not the best quality your going to find (stitching and knee sliders, leather, zips and armour seem good), they are a great buy for the money. If you crash though, there is a pretty good chance you will need to take them in to get repaired (which may or may not happen with more expensive leathers as well). For me to get 3 or 4 bits of popped stitching sewed up was about 60 bucks. The knee sliders lasted me 1 trackday and they were rooted, but just use them till you need new ones, then replace them with the ceramic teknic ones (seriously fucking cool knee sliders).

1tonnes service was awesome as well. The size Ive got is a bit tight round the crotch and legs, but ive got birthing hips and they still comfortable enough.

Ive crashed twice in one day at Taupo in them, and the only problem I had as a result was a graze on my arm, as I crashed on the same corner twice, and popped the stiching after the first one. Crashing twice in a day on the same corner isnt really the norm though

If money is no object buy the best, but for most people/racers on a budget (me), these are an awesome product, and an arseload less dollars than the top stuff.

Bike
    KTM520EXC motard, Suzuki SV650
    Contact them and see if they are going to be at the VMMC track day on Sunday. He was at last weekends track day with a bunch of his stuff. The $700 suits loot bloody good value. I have no need for new leathers and was very tempted

Bike
    ZX6R race machine, rmz250
    Ive just got a set of these leathers and Im very impressed by them! Everything seems to be of very good quailty and they are nice cumfy and look the part too .
    For me i feel they are a very good entry level set of leathers sure they'll never be as good as the top brands with their CRAZY price tags, but hey for bang for buck they are Great! I love them and couldn't be happier with them .

Bike
    89 Honda VFR400
    Quote Originally Posted by del-solider View Post
    CRAZY price tags
    Brands like Alpinestar etc pay big bananas to get into motoGP and the like so your paying for the name as much as anything. Its practical fashion

I guess thats why brands like Quasimoto have such a following over here. A reputation which is built on performance, rather than marketing and a name tag (not taking away anything from the sponsorship and support, not to mention dollars they put into promoting their product). Same for 1tonne, although on a cheaper scale (price and quality).

Bike
    ZX6R race machine, rmz250
    Quote Originally Posted by Benk View Post
    Brands like Alpinestar etc pay big bananas to get into motoGP and the like so your paying for the name as much as anything. Its practical fashion

I guess thats why brands like Quasimoto have such a following over here. A reputation which is built on performance, rather than marketing and a name tag (not taking away anything from the sponsorship and support, not to mention dollars they put into promoting their product). Same for 1tonne, although on a cheaper scale (price and quality).
    Yer i fully agree with you, you are defiantly paying for the name and reputation with the top Brands. Hell ill be the first to admit if i could afford i would have full alpinestars leathers right now if i could but i cant . And thats where 1 tonne comes in.

Bike
    89 Honda VFR400
    Quote Originally Posted by del-solider View Post
    Yer i fully agree with you, you are defiantly paying for the name and reputation with the top Brands. Hell ill be the first to admit if i could afford i would have full alpinestars leathers right now if i could but i cant . And thats where 1 tonne comes in.
    Shit yeah, Ive got some alpinestar gloves, and I reckon its shaved about 5 seconds off my lap times at least

Bike
    Thinking
    So whats the difference between racing leathers and a one piece?
    What makes them racing leathers?
    Just a question.
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    semantics.
    F M S

Bike
    89 Honda VFR400
    Dunno if that is directed at me Quasi, but to me, racing leathers are leathers which you can race in.

Im pretty sure I know what you are angling towards, but im not gunna bite mate

Bike
    Its all in the name. They call them racing leathers but in reality true racing leathers are a one piece suit. I just used their terminology. I've gone down the 2 piece line cause I don't race and want the flexability of using one part or both. Some manufacturers two piece suits are rated for use in MNZ meetings I'm told.
    THE ROLE OF THE INFANTRY

"To seek out and close with the enemy; to kill or capture him; to seize and hold ground; to repel attack, by day or night, regardless of season, weather or terrain."

Bike
    We'll I've got a set now... I asked for blue but I find it closer to purple than blue. I must admit on face value they seem to be a bloody bargin. I'll use them this weekend and see how they go. I don't intend to crash test them... ever. Thanks for the feedback on them from you all, was a great help.
    THE ROLE OF THE INFANTRY

Thread Information