Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Farm" Old Russell Rd - Dirt Bike Heaven

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300

"The Farm" Old Russell Rd - Dirt Bike Heaven

Well I am back from "The Farm" Old Russell Rd and here's my report.

For those bikers who like to go camping and biking at the same time this place has got to be up there amongst the best you can get in NZ. Set on 1000 acres of hilly terrain it is dirt bike heaven (and horsey heaven).

I went up there with the expectation that I'd grab a tent site, stick to myself and find my own way around the traps. Also with a broken bike I was resigned to a holiday watching the kids ride their bikes. Well be prepared for a huuge welcome, I'm talking genuine open hospitality and overflowing friendliness from everyone up there.

Mike promptly found a bike for me, set us up with a perfect tent site and once we were sorted and briefed with commonsense rules took us off on a tour of the farm. Me on an old XR200R '81, which to tell you the truth handled way better than my '86 model. The views were breathtaking and he told us we were free to roam and explore everywhere.

The next day his mates from the Northshore arrived..amazingly both of which used to ride the same tracks as me in the '80's, Broken Hill, Poo Ponds etc. They were both on Yammy 250F's. So 5 of us shot off into the bush, this time I rode Mikes Husqvarna CR125. The pace was frenetic and I soon got arm pump keeping up with the big boys. Mike was riding the XR200R and rode it like a knife cutting through butter. He had no problem staying in the pack even when the seat peeled off and he just left it without stopping. (I was later told Mike won a national enduro title a few years ago which did not surprise me.) The lines they took diagonally across ruts were an eye opener for me and man could they fly over anything. I just managed to tag along following the last mans line.
    Later he laughingly said I went through a baptism of fire and the pace we went at wasn't normally the pace but the boys were just keen to get out there.

The next day I rode Mikes YZ125 and I prefered that to the Husky, the previous night it had bucketed down and I found myself caught in an evil rutty place they called the stream track. The YZ just didn't have the bottom end I am used to (4 stroker) and the rear wheel just clogged with clay and slipped sideways. I finally managed to slip and slide my way back up the ravine.

On the 3rd day I rode Stuarts KDX200 and it handled really well, more bottom end than the little MX's which suited me, I rode and explored the farm with the kids that day. Another of Mikes mates from the Northshore arrived and again from the same era. Paul Taylor. This was begining to feel like an old timers reunion!

On the fourth day the Nield brothers from Hokianga turned up to teach dirt bike skills to a 'boys only' kids camp which was being run on 'The Farm'. I was fortunate enough to tag along with my son. Damon and Mitchell ride a Husky TE510 and a Husky WR300 and they ride bloody well. They taught us correct techniques on how to flat turn, berm turn, ride over holes, ride down hill and uphill, use the brakes properly and demonstrated some amazing stuff. Like riding up a sheer face that looked near impossible to do. (I am sold on electric start after that demonstration!) We then went for a trail ride and I soon found out a KDX200 limitation. We went down the same stream track I had problems with before but at least it had dried a bit. The Husky TE510 just muscled up this particularly long mean rut with an awesome snarl, The Husky WR300 just bounced up it, The CR125,YZ125, and KX85 spun and slipped up and the KDX went whump and the front forks dug into the middle of the rut. Modern bikes front forks stop at the axle where the KDX extends below it, and this was a situation where you needed as much clearance as possible.

While I was out riding my daughter would keep herself entertained with horse riding lessons and treks, my son played paintball and received bike riding lessons from Mike and we'd also take bikes out together on family rides. The bikes were parked outside our tent and the kids would wake up in the morning, breakfast, gear up, and blat off. It was unreal, We were all so 'laxed out. To sum up we had an awesome 5 days riding.

Where: 3 1/2 hours out of Auckland
    Camping Cost: $12 a night (But there is talk of putting the prices up when including a bike)
    BYO or pay $15 for a meal

My recommendation: Try and get Mike or one of his kids to show you the trails else you may get lost or not even find how to get to them.

I plan to go up again for a weekend in Feb, I reckon we could go up as a group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	looking_outside_tent.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	115995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tent05.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	115996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tent_from_farmhouse.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	115997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wr300.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	115998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	team_wicked.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	115999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kids_camp_bike_lessons.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	116000  

Bike
    2002 YZ426F and 1982 xr 100
    Great write up oldschoolThe place sounds amazing.and it sounds like you had a really good break away, just the place to unwind and still be able to ride
    Whats up up on the new bike front.. what ya gonna get ??
    if you think life is 2 short , get a taller one
    Fatboy Racing
    yamahawk racing enterprizes
    IM DAM SEXY racing

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300
    Quote Originally Posted by laserracer View Post
    Great write up oldschoolThe place sounds amazing.and it sounds like you had a really good break away, just the place to unwind and still be able to ride
    Whats up up on the new bike front.. what ya gonna get ??
    Well I bought Oldguys DR350 but after riding plenty of different bikes in some mean terrain I realise it is too heavy for me. It suits a much larger guy. I liked the weight of the mx125's and those northland riders up there have shown that you can ride them quick in tight, steep and wet terrain. It's all about picking your lines and keeping your feet on the pegs. I'm still inclined to get a mx125 and have the flywheel modded.... oh yeah and keep the XR, Mike has shown that the XR200 can still mix it with the boys in some mean terrain.

Bike
    2002 YZ426F and 1982 xr 100
    sounds like a plan
    if you think life is 2 short , get a taller one
    Fatboy Racing
    yamahawk racing enterprizes
    IM DAM SEXY racing

Bike
    CR250
    Wow that place sounds very cool.

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    Wow that place sounds very cool.
    Yeah you missed a good one. It all just fell into place.
    I'm hoping to go up again in Feb, you should try and make it up too, we could have a KB meet. Mike has heard about KB and met some KB'ers but not a whole mass of us at once. We'd have a great time and I'm sure Mike would be more than happy to show us around. I've been told of a mangrove run where if you come off over this real mean root you go into the tide.. s'posed to be pretty technical. The mx track is fun and would pretty much keep the freestylers happy, but the good stuff is in the trail rides.

Bike
    '07 YZ125
    Cool report We'd been thinking of maybe going up for waitangi or something, nothing set in stone. This is tempting me more though! Looks like a cool place, wouldn't mind doing some fushing and stuff up there too Got a crapload of old bait and burley hogging all the freezer space.

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikedPunch View Post
    Cool report We'd been thinking of maybe going up for waitangi or something, nothing set in stone. This is tempting me more though! Looks like a cool place, wouldn't mind doing some fushing and stuff up there too Got a crapload of old bait and burley hogging all the freezer space.
    I didn't get a chance to go fushing, I brought up the sit on kayak and some rods but they just stayed on the roof. There was just sooo much biking to do! I'm noticing aches and bruises now I didn't realise I carried. It is such a cool place. If we can strongarm MXHe(n)man up with his dive gear he could grab the crays for us.
    Oh yeah forgot to mention.
    HOT WATER.
    Plenty of plumbed toilets.
    Your own rec space and kitchen if you want it.
    Pool table/table tennis/foosball/darts/sky tv/internet connection
    They supply already erected tents if you don't want to bring your own.
    A tent under shelter if you want
    Ensuite Cabin
    Huts
    FREE MILK

Bike
    one with pedals
    im keen ive been wanting to go there for a few years but havnt been organised enough set a date i'll put it on my new calender and it'll be stone its an amazing part of the country and easy to get to since they sealed the coast road a few years ago
    "The world is a strange sad place. Ride as often as possible and try not to think about it".

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300
    Quote Originally Posted by tommorth View Post
    im keen ive been wanting to go there for a few years but havnt been organised enough set a date i'll put it on my new calender and it'll be stone its an amazing part of the country and easy to get to since they sealed the coast road a few years ago
    AWESOME!!! That gives me real incentive to get my XR going in time. I think the more the merrier. You won't be disappointed and it's not expensive to camp and ride the land. Thanks to Stu who let me use his KDX200 heaps my biggest expense was my daughters horse riding costs. The camp manager and chef cooks a mean meal. Just remember to really load up on grog because for some reason you drink a whole lot more than you planned.

Bike
    CRF250R
    WOW looks mint

Is it open for anyone to go or do you gots ta know the people
    They got a website or any contact details?
    Even on the old ones if you dont race serious and you wanna just go do the odd club day and smoke everyone on a big old 5hundy it great and if you get beaten you have a handful of excuses

Bike
    04 R1, RM250k6
    Sweet review man, sounds awesome, will have to get up there some time

Bike
    one with pedals
    http://www.thefarm.co.nz/

spent a few childhood summers out that way
    "The world is a strange sad place. Ride as often as possible and try not to think about it".

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300
    Quote Originally Posted by vr4king View Post
    WOW looks mint

Is it open for anyone to go or do you gots ta know the people
    They got a website or any contact details?
    http://www.thefarm.co.nz it's open to everyone. It is a really friendly family run place but if you want your own space they respect that too.

Bike
    TE 250
    Sounds like a good time at the farm oldschool.
    That stream track is good fun and really muddy!
    Did you try the mangrove track? its got an epic exit
    TMF

Thread Information