Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5,976km/250cc/12 days

Bike
    1996 KLR 250

14 Jan - Day 12 - Nelson to Auckland

We awoke to the sound of my cellphone's alarm at 0500. A quick packing and coffee from the dispensing machine in the kitchen and we were out the door. We had consulted the map book the night before and had worked out we had a cool 100 kms between Nelson and Picton, where we had a 0700 date with Bluebridge ferries. However, our plans were quickly put under pressure by a sign that proclaimed Picton actually lay 150kms distant.

Needless to say throttle was twisted, and our 250cc engines screamed through the twisting passes, with only well behaved trucks sharing the roads with us. By this stage my rear tyre was liberally doused with oil, so it was all I could do to keep up with the GN through the corners, making up any ground lost on the occasional straights.

I have to say, incredible adventure riding country around that region. Just from the highway, I could count many trails leading off over saddles and peaks, beconing to be explored, and I cursed our short day to Franz Joseph, that had crippled us so much for time now. We hit Picton at 0710, and promptly found out we were actually booked for the same ferry one day later. After quick negotiations, we got a spot on the ferry about to depart. Aboard, strapped in, and with breakfast in hand, we were able to rest and relax. We waved goodbye to the South Island, and settled in to watch Hoodwinked and some teenage chick movie.

Arriving in Wellington, we made our way to the Lower Hutt Hospital to have lunch with an old army friend, which took us onto SH2.

Little did we know, this lunch that lasted 20 minutes would cost us close to 3 hours later on. We struck out going up SH2, planning on meeting up with SH1 at Palmy. Just short of Palmerston North however, I spyed a sign pointing down a road claiming Taihape was 122kms away.
    Thinking if this were true, it would be an epic shortcut, we turned up it. The sign warning us that is was not an alternative to SH1 should have warned us, but we being reckless youths, we plugged on, and promptly hit gravel.
    About 50kms and nearly 3 hours of fickle gravel later, Danger got impatient, and asked a farmer how to get back to SH1.
    Armed with directions, we successfully rejoined SH1 at Mangaweka, and blasted to Waiouru, having dinner at hot shotz cafe with our highly jealous army friends, sharing stories and declining polite invitations for a beer. We were on a mission.

The ride to Taupo in twilight was nothing short of breathtaking, mainly because we were both still in wifebeaters and shorts under our gear, and the temperature dropped in the space of about 5 minutes. Too proud to admit we were cold (clearly indicating we had the smallest male appendage) we shivered to Taupo, where a hot McD's coffee and fries warmed us up.

From there, it was standard SH1 fare. As proof that I can do it with my eyes closed, I slept for half of it, as I cannot remember Putaruru, or many of the other smaller towns we must have passed through.

Supper in the Tron at 0100 was a welcome relief, and with caffene again surging through the veins, we strode on to Auckland.

A tear nearly left my eye as we decended the Bombay hills with Auckland stretched out in front, and a lighting storm giving a demonstration off in the East. Then I realised I had left my visor open, and once closed my eyes were fine again.

The relief I had as I dismounted at home was rivaled only by the drive to get my photos uploaded to the computer. Unfortunatly I only got to plugging in my camera before I collapsed on my bed and crashed out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7302web.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	116270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7304web.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	116271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7307web.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	116272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7309web.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	116273  

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Wahay! Nice going there! And from what I can see the bare minimum needed to get the tour done!

Sounds like you had an epic time, reading your posts makes me want to fire up the Big Ol'Hornet and go do it all over again!

Y'know something?

I will!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    1996 KLR 250
    do it.

next time i do it will be on a slightly larger bike. now... 300cc or 450? hmmm

but seriously.

Next time, I'm going to take more than 2 sets of clothes. Didn't realise the quality of talent that comes to New Zealand in the form of european backpackers.

Also not going to take my sleeping bag. Far too much space taken up in the luggage, and ultimately in New Zealand you can usually WALK to the next town if required.

Tools were a must, but remember kids: bring spanners for ALL the sizes of bolts you use. You never know which one you'll need to adjust.

Spare oil: bikes need 'em.

Last and not least: Plan as little as possible. This will mean you don't get annoyed with yourself when you fail to meet your days objective due to a large night before hand.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    With you and your mate, gijoe and I, and probably others... just how many were circulating the South Island in the New Year?

Looks like you had a ton of fun like us, amazing you did it on 250s.

We did 6350km (gijoe did more) in 13 days, but on 900-1000cc bikes, aided with GPS navigation etc. Luxury compared to maps and 250s!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1996 Honda CB 250 Hornet
    cool thread .. reminds me of some of the coolest places .. wonder if you tried to yo could pick up other kiwibikers along the way!?

Bike
    1996 KLR 250
    planning to do a repeat trip once the vfr project is finished...

currently its still in my garage waiting for my mate to get the parts and me to sand and paint the fairings.

Id say there were heaps of bikers doing similar routes, like the v-strom crowd we found from nelson. Funny thing is every biker we met along the way typically said without fail one of 2 possible lines:

"you're keen"

or

"good luck!"

I really don't think we understood the full implications of doing that distance on 250s until about halfway through...

Bike
    Triumph Tripple 675 DR 650
    Excellent read
    You guys are real pioneers doing all that on 250's. It's not surprising that you 'slept' through part of the last leg.

Great photo's too

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by 3L4NS1R View Post
    Last and not least: Plan as little as possible. This will mean you don't get annoyed with yourself when you fail to meet your days objective due to a large night before hand.

sage advice indeed!

That was an enjoyable read & a good effort on a couple of 250's

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    NC30
    planning to do a repeat trip once the vfr project is finished...

currently its still in my garage waiting for my mate to get the parts and me to sand and paint the fairings.

Id say there were heaps of bikers doing similar routes, like the v-strom crowd we found from nelson. Funny thing is every biker we met along the way typically said without fail one of 2 possible lines:

"you're keen"

or

"good luck!"

I really don't think we understood the full implications of doing that distance on 250s until about halfway through...
    VFR project? What type?

Just finished reading your write up now, I have to do this sometime! Bloody awesome.

Bike
    1996 KLR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by mark247 View Post
    VFR project? What type?
    It's a 2007 vfr 800, bit scratched up and needing a few things replaced after the previous owner laid it down compliments of a cager. planning to have it on the road by mid feb!

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    Great read, and great spirit too . I rode my old 250 from Threntham to Waiouru then back to Linton one day and it sucked majorly - it jsut gets so boring! I'm not patient enough to sit there and rev along! Mind you, a 400 on the road is not thaaat much better!

You'll have to join us for the Dusty Butt one year!
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500
    What a legend, great read.
    I have to say i would not even consider that kind of epic voyage on my 400 let alone a 250.
    Knowing what the seat comfort ( or lack of ) is like on a KLX
    you are indead a HARD MAN, maybe it helped by being hung over most mornings.
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    2015 Z800
    What an epic adventure! Just the sort of thing i am looking at doing end of this year on my new Ninja

Bike
    1996 KLR 250
    cheers for the comments guys!

dusty butt looks like a goer next year! just gotta convince the boss!

and i found hangovers don't help much... if anything they take any slight uncomfort and times it by ten. however I suppose they can help by distracting you from the slow ache!

and Howsie, I rode my crippled mates ninja back from kaitaia to auckland after he had crashed. the seats a bit better than the klx, but not by much! invest in a sheepskin or a thermal mat folded up...

Bike
    (sold)Suzuki DR 650se
    ...We walked right up to the glacier, braving the numerous warning signs, fording the rivers, and dodging the falling rocks seriously, there would be a sizable fall every 5-10 seconds)....
    Should i make a lame joke about some ozzy tourists??

great write up!

Thread Information