Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bull's meander to Rotorua and Gisborne

Bike
    BLANK

Bull's meander to Rotorua and Gisborne

Well it all started with me having to go to Rotorua for my Uncles unveiling. Didnt really want to go but as none of my brothers were going i thought ill have to do the family thing on their behalf.

Also wanted to go to Gisborne to see one of said brothers as havent seen him and his family since they moved up there a year ago.

Basically i didnt want to spend $240 on petrol to take the whole family to Rotorua and back so i put he ride option out there and my lovely partner said yes.

So at 1pm on Friday 28th was going to be my first longish ride. I needed to be in Rotorua by 11am on Saturday so i thought id take off at 2pm Friday and stay the night with a mate in Ohakune.

Day 1
    1500hrs depart Upper Hutt heading north to Ohakune, first step was to go up over Paekakriki Hill, man thats always a great ride, was nice and dry the whole way and had little traffic on it. From there it was a drone up to Waiouru then across to Ohakune. Ive driven up there many times in a car but it was so much nicer on the bike, so much more to see. Had to ride in rain from Managaweka to Ohakune but still was a blast. All my riding except overtaking was at 110km/h so no speed records being set. Made a stop at Bull's (almost feels compulsory) to top up the petrol and arrived at 1830hrs in Ohakune.

Day 2
    0830hrs Depart and out to G.A.S at the start of National Park Road. Thought best i top up as im still not 100% on the range of the Futura tanks yet.
    This was the nicest ride i had been on in a long time, from the Gas station to Turangi i overtook no more than 6 cars and had about 4 cars going the other way so pretty much the road was all mine. Great road conditions, clear skies and view of the maunga made for a wonderful ride to Turangi. Passed a a pair of Adventure bikes whom must have been on a bit of a tour of their own.
    The uphill through National Park was amazing lots of flowing corners and was happy cruising at my 110km/h.
    From Turangi it was up around the lake to Taupo, again had driven this road many times but it was a 1000 times better on the bike. I found a good speed rythm and was happily overtaking every car i saw - seems they were happy at 100km/h and braking for every bloody slight bend in the road - so my aprillia jsut gobbled them up one by one. Overtaking on the bike is so much easier and in my opinion safer than in my Holden - the combination of the power and not having to get super wide to pass meant even small gaps were doable.
    Arrived in Rotorua at 1040hrs.

Did the unveiling and whanau buzz then called my bro in Gisborne and told him i was coming over. One of my Uncles is a part of the Ngongotaha Motorcycle Club and him and his mates all rolled in on their Harleys, loud as heck. And then in rolled a Triumph Daytona 955i lower fairings removed and the can remvoed too for the extra howl. Off hops this big Maori Fulla wearing German helmet and leather vest - damn this was a strange sight. Had a good chat with the fullas and they invited me on a ride down to Murupara - but due to time constraints i had to decline. I asked a few of the guys about the guy on the Triumph and they said he absolutely thrashes them all the time wherever they go - reckon hes got only one speed - FLAT OUT. Also crack up was that these guys were pretty hardcore but were sitting their with my whanau totally respectful and drinking kids colored drinks as they were going riding and they dont drink and drive. Oh how the times have changed, they seemed really good guys but you definitely wouldnt say a bad word to them else youre likely to get the frickin hiding of your life.

Departed Rotorua at 1640hrs to go to Gisborne. Out to the eastern side of the lake and heading towards Whakatane. Last time i went on this road was as a child with my family in our old HJ holden sitting in the front on the bench seat. Very few parts of the road seemed familiar but i knew it was the one. Beautiful Road out towards Lake Rotoma and then twisting up through the forest and back down again, a good mix of corners from slow and tight to wide and fast, and all this with the trees and foliage right beside the roads edge - it was stunning through there. Took the Kawerau turn off instead of Whakatane as according to WISES MAPS that was the way to go - rolled into Kawerau and saw city centre sign going right and no signage as to where you would end up if going left. So being hte Genius i am i took option 3 down the middle - managed to get myself a little lost(my theory was that i was heading in the right direction but unfortunately due to alot of big hills the road goes around instead of through. Got myself back on track within about 5minutes and found the road out to Opotiki. Lots of fast sweepers out that way and boy oh boy were they fun. Stopped in Opotiki and topped up with fuel. Bloody legend of a service attendant in the shop - he asked me about the cordura as he had noticed alot more bikers wear that than the leather nowadays, i tried to explain the weather ability of the cordura and then he asked me about hte crazy drivers - even he notices as a non-rider he said that the cars seem to harass the bikers. So theres another cager aware of us on the roads.
    Now i was heading to my first run through the Gorge(unsure of the name). My eyes lit up as i saw the Twisty Signage - Next 50km, and what fantastic 50km it was lots of 65,75km/h indicated turns and a few 35 and 45 thrown in for good measure. Again there were maybe a handful of cars - easily outnumbered by the amount of bikes going the other way. With the road all to myself i was happilly going from corner to corner and throwing the Aprillia about, and it seemed to love it. Did notice that a few corners had some melted seal so went through those with alot more care and staying to the stoned parts. Another highlight was the Pekatahi Bridge, not 100% where on earth this was but was somewhere out there - single lane rail bridge that doubles as a car bridge. Loved the novelty of it all, though started getting worried that my bike wasnt going to trigger the lights to change and that i was going to be stuck waiting. A few hills later and then the dreaded road works - through a slightly twisty section of road, made sure to stay clear of the deeper gravel and was easy on the brakes.
    Arrived in Gisborne at 2000hrs and was kind of dissapointed - last time their as a child it seemed amazing and huge this time it was not alot bigger than Upper Hutt.

Stayed here that night and the next day did some fishing with my brother - was good times and great to catch up.

Day 4
    Left Gisborne at 0700hrs
    Wanted to get home before New Years so that i could be with my own whanau for it. Roads were nice from Gisborne out to Wairoa, more long sweeping corners including what id describe as a double hairpin, hooking from right to left and then again from left to right down around a hill. From Wairoa on to Napier there was a light drizzle - topped up with fuel again in Napier and then kept on riding. Next stop was Masterton for more fuel just incase, and then was off to go over the Taka's. Was great to end the ride with a blast over the Rimutakas, they were dry as anything and the bit of wind that had been buffeting through the rest of the Wairarapa had not had any affect on the Rimutakas. Arrived home in Upper Hutt at 1300hrs

To date this is the most fun ive had on a bike and i think i finally used my Aprillia for what it was designed to do. In the saddle for 6 hrs straight and my arse was finally getting sore - so the seat was pretty bloody comfy. Still not sure of the fuel range but ill sit down and work that out with my reciepts later. The bike never missed a beat and it even started and ran first pop everytime - at home it normally stalls on the first fire up.

Was another ride that i returned home safely from, and was a goodie to boot.
    Lots of waves from fellow bikers and plenty of courtesy shown by the rest of the road users too. I was going to put out a request for anyone heading that way so i could tag along but i think i enjoyed the solo adventure more. Only thing id do differently is to take my lovely wife along for the ride(on her own bike once she gets one) then i can share the memories with her rather than having to tell her about them.

Happy New Year KBers.

Bike
    Sounds like the Aprilia (reads as reborn RF - we all know you want one) went well...

You can deliver the 'package' I asked you to pick up, later
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Nice one Bull. You say the bike wasn't stalling, maybe the long run has done it good. Being an import perhaps it needed a decent bit of fuel through its system, but being back home now time will tell.

Glad you had fun and continue to enjoy your step up from the Hyosung.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    You lucky fulla Dan.

Good to see the Ape didn't let you down and that you've lost your touring cherry.

Nice one.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    BLANK
    the package you wanted all went up in smoke Col, and yep the long run and good blasting it got may have cleaned it out nicely enough Merv.

Ill tell ya honestly i was nervous the bike would break down on me out in the countryside but alas it never happened - it felt so good and just loved the long ride times. 6hrs straight coming back with maybe 10mins of fuel breaks and it was purring the whole way. That rear tyre looking very worn now though after the adventure - ill be heading your way to lube the chain etc Simon.

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Good stuff mate. Got to take my Ape for our first long trip to Taupo. Good one!
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bull View Post
    the package you wanted all went up in smoke....
    Man, I told you to keep it away from the pipe!
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    Kle 500
    That was enjoyable.I agree get her a bike

Bike
    GSX650F K9
    Blog Entries
    Nice job on the report Bull. Sounded like a really good ride...
    If your looking at Bike Comms, have a read of this review..

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95905

Bike
    R100GSPD
    sometimes the sport tourers come into their own eh?...perfect bikes IMHO for NZ

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Some nice roads covered there Bull.

Sounds like a good couple of days out, well done.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    GL1800

Thumbs up Thanks for sharing

It's becoming a habit of yours Bull to write bloody good ride reports Dude - I was following the road in my mind all the way! Great roads too (some of which Highlander and I have enjoyed thoroughly together)

Cheers!!

Shafty

ps Any photo's?
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    1986 GPZ1000RX
    Nice read Bull. We did that same ride from Opotiki thru to Gizzie last week and it has to be the best fast ride I have had in ages.

We had the same grins when we saw that sign, and our pace through the bends was always a wee (!) bit quicker than the signs recommend (though they are really well signposted - very reliable). Did you catch the two-headed lamb at the pub half way along?

Definitely going back that way again...

Bike
    BLANK
    Nah didnt see the lamb and had no stops apart from at Opotiki. I cant wait to get up there again.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    waioeka gorge

and it's absolutely mint, innit....

good read
    F M S

Thread Information